C2C - Civics Discussion Thread

Matriarchy and Patriarchy now come after Junta which is a much better civic. The three probably need to be redone so that they reflect three different play options eg one production, one military and one domestic growth.

I think Matriarchy can come slightly before Junta if you take the right path.

Which is why all three should be the same strength now. Before Mat/Pat came very early so were a slight step up from the first. They also came at the same tech. At the moment they are much weaker than Junta.

What do you think should be added to them to make them stronger. As I said when I posted them, I am totally open to idea on how to balance them. Note they were originally in a category called Politics, in which we don't have now, however it did have some of the same civics such as Strongman and Divine Right. Which is why I put them in the Power civics category.

What am I missing that makes Junta a better civic? Seems they are balanced well enough, matriarchy = growth, patriarchy = hammers, junta = military.

If anything I think junta is the weakest of the three

We should add cryptocurrency after digital money civic.

Bitcoin is digital gold and it is deflationary currency.

So cryptocurrency should have all benefits of digital money and gold standard.

Thunderbird proposed adding +100 free units to tribal warfare, I just want to say that I like the idea but consider it somewhat of an overkill. I would prefer something closer to +40, for balancing reasons.

One has to remember that tribal warfare should not be viable at a time where you have more than 4-8 cities and that there is no need or logic in having over 100 units in this specific era.

100 free units may make the AI hit a heavy road bump when it decides to leave tribal warfare. New C2C players might not have this foresight as well.

The other aspect of assigning double unit costs once you exceed the limit is to help with that 'road bump'. The AI will be able to evaluate this quite effectively considering it's set to calculate everything based on gold for its evaluations anyhow. But for those civs that slightly outlive the usefulness by exceeding the free unit count they won't feel so big an impact by stepping out of having the free units while losing the double cost for those beyond the free unit threshold. Still, I'll set it to 50 free and we'll see if that's sufficient.

For now I'm content with your choice; but are you sure that "free unit support" doesn't cover military units as well?
If not it would mean a potentially 80 free military units the way it is now.

Doesn't tribal warfare also have a -15% Mil Unit production malus? That should probably be removed as well.

JosEPh

For now I'm content with your choice; but are you sure that "free unit support" doesn't cover military units as well?
If not it would mean a potentially 80 free military units the way it is now.
It really looked like it was tallying the count quite separately but I can review it deeper to be sure.

Doesn't tribal warfare also have a -15% Mil Unit production malus? That should probably be removed as well.

JosEPh
It does BUT it's an improvement over the previous civics in the category so it's actually a positive and would be a BIG positive if totally removed.

i'm not up on SVN - still playing v 33, so ignore this if it is irrelevant

What's the justification for Trade civic having +50% hammer, food, and commerce bonus from trade routes? With the proliferation of trade routes in the late classical and medieval eras, any other Economy civic is a huge step down. Should the bonus be cut to 25% or less to balance?

If anything, Mercantile should provide the trade route bonus, but only to trade routes in your empire. After all, it was the mercantile approach that promoted the English ability to spread around the globe during the 17-19th centuries.

Also, the Rule civic Bureaucracy civic (in vanilla) improved only the capital city because of the capitol building and its encapsulating political machinery. However, that civic seems to have shifted to vassalage which improves the capital. This seems unsound to me, since the historic purpose of vassalage was to extend the power of an absolute monarch to cities beyond the capital.

I propose Bureaucracy should increase commerces in only the capital, though quite a bit (similar to vanilla) Whereas Vassalage should modestly improve commerces in all cities.

Last, is the Apprenticeship Education civic working properly? I don't see the bonus to GP spawn rate or unlimited GE.

Just the opinions of a lowly mod player.

Great work, gang. cant wait for v34

We don't have anyone dedicated to civics at the moment so I doubt that we will get a chance to discuss and make any of the changes you suggest for v34:( Many have complained about the trade civic and we wil be looking at some changes to it after v34 comes out.

Timschuett: Actually, most of the Civic stuff should be rather easy to learn since it is mostly XML I think. If you know quite a bit about civics and want to help us, we would be really thankful if you give it a try. I would help you and you can ask be as many questions as you want of course! What do you think?

Some ideas for brainstorming. Do we have a civic guy at all?

Agriculture
Vertical Agriculture: Vertical Farming
Automated Agriculture: Service Robots

Education
Holographic Education: Holographics
Rapid Education: Thought Scanning
Instand Education: Brain Machine Interface

Language
World Language: Globalization
Telepatic Communication: Mind Uploading

Garbage:
Recycling: Recycling
Compostable Garbage: Bio Materials
Total Recycling: AI City

Society:
Online Society: Online Society

Education
Holographic Education: Holographics
Rapid Education: Thought Scanning
Instand Education: Brain Machine Interface

On the tech tree Holographics comes AFTER Thought Scanning and Brain Machine Interface comes BEFORE even Thought Scanning. But I do agree there should be some sort of downloading education directly into the student civic.

Ooups... ok then in general:
There should be a civic where you can download the knowledge about a topic of your choice (like in Matrix) so you can learn something withing seconds/minutes. And there should be a civic where you are connected to the internet since you are born and basically KNOW everything directly from the beginning on.

Top Bottom