C2C- Prehistoric /Ancient / Classical / Medieval / Renaissance Eras

azure ,how about instead of copying all the text from your source,you just give us a link ? it will make easier reading and don't make such long threads

Hydro
All your changes are good.
I was thinking:
Ancient Medicine is renamed to Classical Medicine or Foundation Medicine or Western Medicine or Physician

? Medicine becomes Ancient Medicine.

1. Ancient Medicine I think would be good to be renamed "Hippocratic Medicine". And ? Medicine to be named "Folk Medicine". That way neither has the word "Ancient" in it. Just make sure Hippocratic Medicine require Code of Laws for the Hippocratic Oath.

2. I think we may need to shuffle the techs in the rows. I did not lis them in any particular order on each row, just what column. I also did not realize I skipped X27 that should be fixed.

Here is a temp tech tree with just the Ancient Era. I think this configuration is better.

3. We already have "Ancient Ballistics" I do not think we should have one called "Ballistics" it should be a different name or move "Ancient Ballistics" back.

3. We already have "Ancient Ballistics" I do not think we should have one called "Ballistics" it should be a different name or move "Ancient Ballistics" back.

There were two type of Ballistics; Stationary and Mobile. You are both correct. In the Bronze Age it was customary to use Ballistic Weapons that were portable, miniture versions, and you had to set up to use. In the Iron Age they became mobile with wheels and had required two individuals needed to operate them. In the Medieval Age, they became quite specialized and gigantic.

Here is an example of a Bronze Age artillery. Notice it has no wheels, and it had to be set up.

Portable.
Spoiler :

Greek
Spoiler :

Roman
Spoiler :

Here is an example of Iron Age artillery, noticed it has a different configuration and it has wheels.
Spoiler :

This is an example of Medieval Age artilley, notice it became alot bigger in size, and lost its wheels.
Spoiler :

The same happened with Mangonel, Onager, the ballista, and the traction trebuchet .

I would recommend two Ballistic technologies, and move Seige Warfare to the far Classical.

The first needs to be placed around Military Training and called Ballstics or Artillery. You can include the Crossbow in this technology too.

Ancient Ballistics needs to be placed after Machienery and renamed to Siege Engine. The reason is that the next leap foward in Siege technology occured with machinery.

Siege Warfare needs to be placed after Surveying and Invention. It can keep its name, I perfer Siege Engineering.

Artillery could be renamed Field Artillery so that its ancient version could have the name Artillery.

On another note, I like the Tech Tree HydromancerX proposed a post or two above. I would have liked if there was a Mathmatical technology called Equations or Decimals around x23, but Standarlization is a good replacement for that.

Also of note, I noticed you had Monarchy in Ancient Era,(I am assuming because of Persia). I would recommend you think about having a Dynasty or Mandate of Heaven technology in Classical that represents the East.

Also, Astronomy and Cosmology need to be included in Classical, and Astronomy renamed to Applied Astronomy and Cosmology to Applied Cosmology. The reasoning is that there should be,(if not already), a technology in Classical, Medieval, and Renassiance that represent the work in that field at that time period.

You sohuld have a Culinary Arts tech in Renassiance to represent the standarlization of cooking by the Frech, and the first academy of cusine. You can include seveal fruits, vegestables, and legumes that were discovered in the New World during the Age of Discovery.

StrategyOnly
The Siege line is out of timeline, I am not preoccupied with the name,(it can be changed), but the actual technology.

--

James

My understanding of Siege Technologies:

the first at 350 B.C (Alexander The Great -Belly Bows , Oxybeles)

the second at 55 B.C (Julius Cesar -Onager , Ballista, Scorpios, Siege Ram ).

the third at 300-400 A.D (starting in China but mostly rome, Catapulta, Cheiroballistra , Carroballista, Siege tower)

the fourth at 700+ A.D (Medieval- Mangonel, Conterweight Trebuchet, Fortified Siege Tower, Petrary, Cannon)

I was actually thinking about the siegecraft of the Assyrian Empire and the Macedonians.

This book is one of my sources.
Spoiler :

Assyrian (400 B.c)

Greek (350 B.c)

Roman (55. A.D)

Medieval ( 700 A.D +)

StrategyOnly
The Siege line is out of timeline, I am not preoccupied with the name,(it can be changed), but the actual technology.

--

Where did you get that Medieval one from, when i did the Ballista i was looking for a better button that the one i had.
Dont know for sure if this one would look better or not??

EDIT: That sounds ok (see below)

Azure what do you have planned for Classical, perhaps we should plan that era out to see how it would weave with Ancient.

Yes, there were several siege technologies, but we should look in the game to see what is currently available.

Ancient Machinery is okay, its definitely more general.

Did you read what I said about Decimals?

I wanted to at least keep some of Vokarya's work when he redid the tech tree.

Who is this person, and why can we not edit his/her work? I thought the Tech Tree was 100% moddable.

Azure what do you have planned for Classical, perhaps we should plan that era out to see how it would weave with Ancient.

Yes, there were several siege technologies, but we should look in the game to see what is currently available.

Ancient Machinery is okay, its definitely more general.

Did you read what I said about Decimals?

Who is this person, and why can we not edit his/her work? I thought the Tech Tree was 100% moddable.

He went to work on the AND restoration. Hydro, I support MrAzure and JamesBC, and we should support any improvement to the tech tree

Here is a temp tech tree with just the Ancient Era. I think this configuration is better.

I like this implementation of the Tech Tree.

Also of note, I noticed you had Monarchy in Ancient Era,(I am assuming because of Persia). I would recommend you think about having a Dynasty or Mandate of Heaven technology in Classical that represents the East.

The Mandate of Heaven was a lifestyle/philosophy in the East that stated people need to behave in a manner to please the Sage Emperors (past emperors), in heaven, and it allowed for the creation of dynasties. As long as the Emperor behaved well and there were no natural disasters he could keep the power.

It should be included in Classical and require Monarchy and Meditation. It could enable the Civic Dynasty. I don't know the details of what the Civic would have.

Included in Classical, and Astronomy renamed to Applied Astronomy and Cosmology to Applied Cosmology. The reasoning is that there should be,(if not already), a technology in Classical, Medieval, and Renaissance that represent the work in that field at that time period.

This is something that will need more detail, astronomical improvements could be included in Algebra and Geometry.

We could have a proper Astronomy with Galileo and Copernicus but we will have to see what Renaissance has.

You should have a Culinary Arts tech in Renassiance to represent the standarlization of cooking by the Frech, and the first academy of cusine. You can include seveal fruits, vegestables, and legumes that were discovered in the New World during the Age of Discovery.

I agree we need Culinary Arts, it could represent the work of Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin, (1755) , French Chef Antoine Beauvilliers (1754), Giovanni Giacomo (1724), and Honoré de Balzac (1799).

I think Standardization should cover decimals and mathematical equations already.

Perhaps its wise I do that, since there can be confusion and claims of redundancy for certain new technologies.

StategyOnly
http://evony.gamepedia.com/Ballista

Ancient Machinery works.

Sparth

Since you have Photoshop, is there anyways to make this huge so you can make it into a button that can really see what this is, and look good as a button, thx.

Yeah i tried to get it so you can only see the Ballista, but when i got it to the btn size it was blurry:(

It's called the Briton Ballista
Spoiler :

Here are some possible art
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Azure
I would highly recommend you play about 5-10 more games and promote this as a "Grand Project". You will gain more insight if you implement this in a methodological and patient manner over time, then brute force brainstorming. Now, I agree that your changes are quite excellent but I must caution that since your design style is "evolution"(constantly revised) rather than "blueprint" (long term technical planning) you will gain many insights the more you play the game.

I would:
Short-Term
-Keep Creating Buildings In your Other Thread

Long-Term
-Keep brainstorming and implementing the tech Tree expansion, and do a little bit of coding at a time.

if siege engines are revised i suggest that melee siege (battering ram,siege tower)need to attack to reduce defenses .i don't know if it is codable,but i think it would make sieges more interesting.you could wait for your catapults to reduce the defense or take the risk and attack with your rams.
i will also like to have a ditincion between siege and anti personal engined.the first group are machines designed for attacking cities:they have low strength but do collateral damage and bombard really well(ex:trebuchet,bombard)the anti personal engines don't do collateral damage and bombard far worst-however they are cheaper,have higher strength and are also able to retreat from combat much sooner.they are also effective for moral shocks and city defense

Azure
I would highly recommend you play about 5-10 more games and promote this as a "Grand Project". You will gain more insight if you implement this in a methodological and patient manner over time, then brute force brainstorming. Now, I agree that your changes are quite excellent but I must caution that since your design style is "evolution"(constantly revised) rather than "blueprint" (long term technical planning) you will gain many insights the more you play the game.

I would:
Short-Term
-Keep Creating Buildings In your Other Thread

Long-Term
-Keep brainstorming and implementing the tech Tree expansion, and do a little bit of coding at a time.

That's a good recommendation, I will do that.

Some ideas for Classical

History
Mineralogy ( Theophratus- Naturalis Historia)
Logic
Geophysics
Cosmos
Trigonometry
Geography
Metaphysics
Wheelbarrow
Aristotelian Physics
Essentialism
Tao
Administration (Geniocracy ,Timocracy ,Autocracy, Diarchy, Emirate, Kakistocracy, Kleptocracy ,Nepotocracy, Bankocracy, Demarchy, Kritarchy etc..so many to name )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government

Trigonometry

I know we have Arithmetic (Prehistoric), Mathematics (Classical), Geometry (Classical), Calculus (Renaissance). How do you see this fitting in with them? Especially with Calculus in the Renaissance.

How is this different from Cosmology tech?

How i this different from Taoism and/or Martial Arts and/or Meditation? This just seems to regionally specific.

How is this different from Cosmology tech?

For starters heliocentric .
You should Wikipedia this and other basic questions . :lol:

Azure
Business
History
Mineralogy
Logic
Geophysics
Cosmos
Trigonometry
Geography
Metaphysics
Wheelbarrow
Essentialism
Administration
Botanical Science
Scholastics
Ethics
Platonism
Epistemology
Aristotelianism
Pythagoreanism
Socratism
Stoicism
Epicureanism
Craftsmanship (Roman-system of crafts, Artisan = mastercrafter)
Botany (rename Botany to Botanical Science)
Crankshaft
Ceramics (pottery is eathenware, ceramics is crystallineware.)
Lever
Customs
Dams
Spritsail Sailing
Tunnels
Bridges

Top Bottom