C3MT - Civ3MultiTool (Second CFC Thread)

Nope.

But we digress. Will we see a new version, O Great Gramphos?

There will be a new version. I've already started adding a new feature. (Probably not that useful, but soon you will be able to change the city gouvernour settings from the save game editor.) But I want to investigate the bug report about civilizations being off by one when exporting scenarios before I build a new version, and I've not had the time to do so yet.

STARTUP: 2012-05-21 13:46:29
STARTUP: C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\::1.12.6
STARTUP: arguments:
STARTUP: logfile C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\s2.log
STARTUP: MainThread: 2248
STARTUP: Running on Windows XP Service Pack 3
STARTUP: Loading splash screen...
STARTUP: FAIL: (0)

Where are the install instructions for this tool?

I'm on windows 7, I have gone around 'Programmes (x86)' as suggested by earlier forum advice.

I run Users\Public\Games\CIVIII\ ...

I don't want to read through 500+ replies and notifications on this.

What is the Latest version of this utility that I will need to download,[ I've downloaded and stored in a folder a version from March18 2012 - "v1.12.6". ] and will I have any special requirements from my file system change?????

#Computer skills are limited ("very").

STARTUP: 2012-05-21 13:46:29
STARTUP: C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\::1.12.6
STARTUP: logfile C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\s2.log
STARTUP: MainThread: 2248
STARTUP: FAIL: (0)

Where are the install instructions for this tool?

Just use the full installation program. I'll see if I can find an XP machine to try the latest version on, but as far as I know there shouln't be any problem with that. Did you install using the installation package or just unpacked the patch zip?

I'm on windows 7, I have gone around 'Programmes (x86)' as suggested by earlier forum advice.

I run Users\Public\Games\CIVIII\ ...

I don't want to read through 500+ replies and notifications on this.

What is the Latest version of this utility that I will need to download,[ I've downloaded and stored in a folder a version from March18 2012 - "v1.12.6". ] and will I have any special requirements from my file system change?????

#Computer skills are limited ("very").

You shouldn't have any problem even if Civ 3 is installed on a non-standard path. I've done some testing on Windows 7 and know that C3MT works on it, but triggers a bunch of compatibility fetaures. (Virtual store for instance)

Just use the full installation program. I'll see if I can find an XP machine to try the latest version on, but as far as I know there shouln't be any problem with that. Did you install using the installation package or just unpacked the patch zip?

After doing full install, does not work, when I run the program it can't find c3mt.dll

STARTUP: 2012-05-23 21:30:31
STARTUP: C:\Program Files\C3MT\::1.12.6
STARTUP: logfile C:\Program Files\C3MT\s1.log
STARTUP: MainThread: 364
SETTINGS: Loading language settings.
STARTUP: Loading default language file.
LANGUAGE: Loading C3MT.TXT
LANGUAGE: Fullpath: C:\Program Files\C3MT\C3MT.TXT

I have the same problem eric is having, It says that c3mt.dll is missing, but it is in the same folder with the actually program. I reinstalled it multiple times, but it still doen't work. Any help would be appreciated.

This thread is a long one and I imagine this was asked at some point. Forgive me if this is the case!

I'm interested in getting replay/state data out of Civ saves - any Civ game will do, but you seem to have cracked it for Civ 3. For instance, I'd love to know when a city was founded (the year) or what a given tile contains (e.g. a road; tundra).

This data must be in save game files, but the encoding is complicated. Do you have any advice on how to extract this data? I want to do it programmatically, so I can't use your (rather lovely) tool. Is it open source at all? How did you pick out the data from save files?

Final Sin, welcome to the forums!:band: re:source code-not released,but... some things might have been done (not by me certainly), as we have seen a couple of solutions appear; 512 city limit and 32 live player game. Another possible answer is....? All I can say is search the forum perhaps you can find someone who can lead you to "the source".

Is JimmyH still around to actually sift through all these lists? :confused:

EDIT: Oops. Wrong thread. :o

Could a moderator please delete?

I have the same problem eric is having, It says that c3mt.dll is missing, but it is in the same folder with the actually program. I reinstalled it multiple times, but it still doen't work. Any help would be appreciated.

What is your Windows version?

This thread is a long one and I imagine this was asked at some point. Forgive me if this is the case!

I'm interested in getting replay/state data out of Civ saves - any Civ game will do, but you seem to have cracked it for Civ 3. For instance, I'd love to know when a city was founded (the year) or what a given tile contains (e.g. a road; tundra).

This data must be in save game files, but the encoding is complicated. Do you have any advice on how to extract this data? I want to do it programmatically, so I can't use your (rather lovely) tool. Is it open source at all? How did you pick out the data from save files?
The C3MT source code is not relased. The decoding of the Civ3 save file format is a joint effort performed by several utility creators. It has been shared with a few people having a good prospect of what they want to use it for. However we don't want the save file format open to the public, as I did with the BIC format since there are many competitive games, and opening up the format fully would make cheating in such games easier.

format since there are many competitive games, and opening up the format fully would make cheating in such games easier.

SO? C3mt is a cheat tool in it'self. So you'd be making it easyier to cheat in other games, So What's the big deal? :confused:

IMO making it easier to cheat in games would be doing a service to the gaming community as long as it's in single player mode.

Map Converter, Copy Tool, Civilopedia Editor, Unit Creation Wizard, those're cheating tools? Sure,t here's a savegame editor, but then you can just get a hex editor and cheat your way into it anyway. Let's ban even the almighty Notepad while we're at it.

Map Converter, Copy Tool, Civilopedia Editor, Unit Creation Wizard, those're cheating tools? Sure,t here's a savegame editor, but then you can just get a hex editor and cheat your way into it anyway. Let's ban even the almighty Notepad while we're at it.

I don't need your snide remarks. Yes C3mt is a cheating tool, in the SGE you can do a lot to your game. While it has other purposes as well it is a cheating tool.

And a screwdriver is a weapon, too.

SO? C3mt is a cheat tool in it'self. So you'd be making it easyier to cheat in other games, So What's the big deal? :confused:

IMO making it easier to cheat in games would be doing a service to the gaming community as long as it's in single player mode.

I'm not against people cheating in their own games, but single player save files are also used in for instance the GOTM here at CFC. Using C3MT to edit a save is not trace less, but using a hex editor could be. Of course there can be cheating by extracting information not available to the player from the save game and using that to gain advantage in the game.

But as I said I got several reasons for not releasing the save file format. From the beginning it was just the cheating aspect, but with the cooperation to decode more of the save files we are more than one person who would have to have a say in who gets access to the information or not.

When it come to the source code I have other reasons than protecting the save file format for not releasing it. One of them is that the code is a good example on how not to write maintainable code. C3MT was one of my first large coding projects, and I used what I knew at the time, but looking at the code today, working as a professional programmer I'm not at all proud of it, and I would really want to do a complete rewrite (in a different programming language.)

About cheat: you could add somewhere in the format a "cheat indicator" everytime a file is edited with your tool, and then make a small exe that would just take a file as an entry, and display a message box "cheater!" if needed

Top Bottom