Can I still play current modded games once the new patch is out?

Happiness

Chieftain
I am using mods in my current game. Can I still play it after the new patch is out?

I am using Steam to play. Some of my mods are subscribed from Steam; some are downloaded onto my mac.

I guess there may be compatibility issues between the new patch and my mods. Could I stop Steam from downloading the new patch until I finish my current game? If that's not impossible, then could I still play my current games after waiting for compatibility updates from my mods? I guess for those mods that were downloaded, I would need to download them again after their updates and delete their old versions from my mac. In that case, I think my current game won't be able to load properly anymore, right?

You probably can play an old save, but it will likely be terribly buggy.

And mods aren't the only reason. It's really hit or miss about whether old saves work after a patch.

If you really want to finish said game, I'd play only 'offline' (steam will download the patch automatically if online), until I finish the game (once the patch is out).

Keep in mind, it'll probably be another month before the Mac version of the patch is out.

Will there be some sort of notification from Steam when the update is actually pushed through? Or will I just see changes in the game?

No advance notification from Steam. If you are online with Steam, the download just commences.

My Russian mods do not work anymore thinking it is from the update.

Only original Civs for game works.

Brew God

Wasn’t there an option at Steam, where automated updates can be switched off?

I think the only option is to delay the download until you start the game. The default is when steam runs.
There is no option to prevent patching. The only way would be to turn your internet connection off when you play the game.

In Steam, look in your "Settings" for Steam, and under that look in "Downloads". There appears to be an option to restrict auto-updating to certain times of the day, but not to completely disable auto-updating.
Previous versions of Steam client had a check-box for "allow automatic updates" or something similar, which you could turn off.

What I generally do every so often, especially about a week or two after a major patch, is deleting all mods, then going back through the Workshop/website and re-choosing the ones I want to use. It just kinda resets the system and setting up the gameplay you like.

Top Bottom