[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Initial thoughts:
  1. White and red are Japan's colors. I know we're getting the jersey system, but still...
  2. They could have made the tundra farms a little less temperate and a little more arctic.
  3. I'd say I'm surprised that they went with such a cliched UI as a hockey rink, but after Scotland got golf courses, I'd be lying.
  4. Why is the hockey rink a UI and not a replacement for the Stadium?
  5. Emergencies are still around. Hopefully they've been spruced up, because I find them rather dull in their R&F iteration.

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice the world games are currently listed as an “emergency”? This is further evidence that emergencies are being reworked into diplomatic events.

upload_2018-12-11_13-18-59.png

Stockpiling has limits.

Tundra farms should have had +1 food to make them a bit more appealing. A +2 farm in tundra is not really going to help your city grow to a pop that can sustain multiple districts. Also, I am curious to when ice rinks can be built because if they are another late game build then they will be pretty much useless which will make the Mountie pointless because people will already be on tanks/etc.

I am slightly disappointed in that they did not give Canada some more unique abilities.

Honestly I kinda like the ability that relates to the diplomatic victory and the emergencies. But all the rest are just sad and disappointing. I agree that they could have done more research than just slap in stereotypes here and there.

Yes, I like the way Canada gets extra diplomatic favours. I was really worried it would be a purely passive thing. Forcing you to get involved in international politics is a good design trick, I expect (we still need to see how the competitions and emergencies work in GS). Even the tie to Tourism is good (but I still wonder whether this shouldn't be standard, rather than a Canadian unique).

After that, it appears that the overriding design consideration was "make Canada a tundra and snow civ". All of the other abilities are then tied to making inefficient terrain "okay", meaning they're not really abilities at all. And that by itself doesn't bother me. Not every civ should be super powerful. But the less powerful ones should be interesting. The way they chose to make tundra useable, by slapping silly bonuses on hockey rinks and Mounties, doesn't lead to interesting game play, I don't think.

The most unique thing about the civ is the restriction on war. I presume that will appeal to some players. That may end up being the civ's saving grace, creating a niche for it that some people will like.

Tundra farms should have had +1 food to make them a bit more appealing. A +2 farm in tundra is not really going to help your city grow to a pop that can sustain multiple districts. Also, I am curious to when ice rinks can be built because if they are another late game build then they will be pretty much useless which will make the Mountie pointless because people will already be on tanks/etc.

I am slightly disappointed in that they did not give Canada some more unique abilities.

For instance, "Canada gets a unique diplomatic option, the Apology. Canada can earn diplomatic favour by apologising after breaking a promise, declaring war, or capturing a city state".

I do like how they do domestic things though. One of the issues we were discussing here is that they're about the most iconic "UU" type units you could think of but aren't really military force.
Oh I'm not saying that I don't like a lot of their domestic bonuses, I'll play Canada of course because I'm not a warmonger, nor do I attack city states, and I love culture victory (and turning useless tiles into useful ones is always a plus); sure the Mountie is an issue though but at least they tried (sort of?) to make it "unique". I was hoping for something else related to their valiant service in the World Wars but apparently not.

Yes, I like the way Canada gets extra diplomatic favours. I was really worried it would be a purely passive thing. Forcing you to get involved in international politics is a good design trick, I expect (we still need to see how the competitions and emergencies work in GS). Even the tie to Tourism is good (but I still wonder whether this shouldn't be standard, rather than a Canadian unique).

After that, it appears that the overriding design consideration was "make Canada a tundra and snow civ". All of the other abilities are then tied to making inefficient terrain "okay", meaning they're not really abilities at all. And that by itself doesn't bother me. Not every civ should be super powerful. But the less powerful ones should be interesting. The way they chose to make tundra useable, by slapping silly bonuses on hockey rinks and Mounties, doesn't lead to interesting game play, I don't think.

The most unique thing about the civ is the restriction on war. I presume that will appeal to some players. That may end up being the civ's saving grace, creating a niche for it that some people will like.

Outside of the rink (which will likely be too late game to matter) the tundra tiles will not be appealing. A farm on a tundra tile is still bad. As I mentioned above adding +1 food would help but maybe even +1 food/production. I am not sure how Canada is going to compete culturally when everything they have is most likely late game.

Top Bottom