[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

"Divine Wind" (their Leader ability) refers to Kublai Khan's fleet being wiped out entirely by a Tsunami conveniently on its way to invade Japan. You can also call it by it's more Japanese term: "Kamikaze".

Oh, I see, so it's just an objection to the name? I don't pay attention to ability names so I'm not surprised I missed the reason for the complaint. Having said that, it seems fairly spurious - lots of civs have abilities with names based on a single event or short-lived philosophy that don't really reflect the ability itself. I see the coastal military bonus for Japan as reflecting the fact that it's island-bound and was militaristic in the period represented, and the district bonus has nothing at all to do with Kublai's invasion.

Wow. I feel like they've combined the boringness of America with the stereotyped portrayal of Scotland, but without the epic stool kick or Teddy's theatricality. :p All that's missing is maple syrup and bacon. :mischief:
Hey now! I'll happily fight you to defend the honor of bacon. Besides, we all know that Canadian bacon is just ham steak.

The surprise war part of the ability is the apex of bad civ design, imo. It's inhibitory and shields players from repercussions of underperforming. So if I'm Scythia early in the game and go for domination, and I completely outplay this Canadian dude, I can't convert my military superiority into any tangible benefit because he is literally immune to that option. This is going to be especially annoying if they're the civ right next to you on large maps. All someone can do in that scenario is just wait until you can declare formal war, denounce, wait another 5 turns and then carry on with your attack.

And the more frustrating part of this is that they essentially lose nothing in return. The fact they can't declare surprise wars doesn't inhibit their early game since it has no military advantages to exploit and its design overall is geared away from war altogether, so surprise wars won't be particularly useful at any point.

I am pretty sure that this is the first (and hopefully only) First Look that I have been far more interested in the Screenshot analysis of any revelations about new mechanics and game elements (wonders, improvements, etc.) than anything actually related to the Civ they announced.

The real problem with the "no surprise war" is that basically every civ will end up denouncing Canada for no reason other than the ability to go to war with them. Also, Cyrus will hate their guts every game (and probably Alexander).

So Canada's "faces of peace" ability means - being hated by the international community. And their abilities are designed to encourage diplomatic victory.

Slow clap begins ... now.

The AI declares war on you?

Hey now! I'll happily fight you to defend the honor of bacon. Besides, we all know that Canadian bacon is just ham steak.
Eh, if it comes out of a pig, I don't eat it. :p No, I'm not Jewish. Just don't like pork or its derivatives. :p

The surprise war part of the ability is the apex of bad civ design, imo. It's inhibitory and shields players from repercussions of underperforming. So if I'm Scythia early in the game and go for domination, and I completely outplay this Canadian dude, I can't convert my military superiority into any tangible benefit because he is literally immune to that option. This is going to be especially annoying if they're the civ right next to you on large maps. All someone can do in that scenario is just wait until you can declare formal war, denounce, wait another 5 turns and then carry on with your attack.

And the more frustrating part of this is that they essentially lose nothing in return. The fact they can't declare surprise wars doesn't inhibit their early game since it has no military advantages to exploit and its design overall is geared away from war altogether, so surprise wars won't be particularly useful at any point.

Denounce them and declare a formal war five turns later.

To everyone that says that other civs are also stereotypes, yes of course, but it doesn't mean that Canada should be a stereotype or that I don't care if other civs are stereotype. I was expecting a lot more from Scotland, for example. The problem I have with Canada is that it's almost all stereotype and weird abilities like farms on tundra. It's what is great with the Cree, their UB is not a tipi and their UU is not a warrior. People who did not know about Canada are not going to learn anything of real value about our history or culture, just the same old thing everyone is talking to me about when I travel outside of my country.

I think people are harshly underestimating the power of Canada as both the player and an AI leader.

Let's break down their bonuwses

- They are the ONLY direct civ who can SURVIVE and GROW in Tundra, Russia can't do it, they don't get a Food bonus big enough to handle a large population in Tundra cities, because there's very rarely enough sources of food for Russian cities to grow without outside sources like imports (Trade Routes), not to mention the lack of general housing. Canada can build FARMS on Tundra, now only giving them +2 (which sadly does reduce other yields) but can grow quite big steadily, on top of the fact that 2 Farms provide +1 Housing overall, this means that Canada can live off Tundra and stay there, because AI Will rarely settle those tiles since they don't provide much room for growth unless they are surrounded with enough yields

On tpop of that, Canada are basically immune from wars, because why on earth would I take a Canadian city if there's nothing it would provide me, depending on whether or not the Farms are destroyed, but even if they stay, no one can build more, so if you jus tsteadily add more farms as Lautier, the AI that conquers you rcities will be stuck with whatever Canada built.

On top of that, if I recall, I've had plenty of National Parks (and keep in mind you can build more and get other sources of Appeal) to boost the chance that there will be plenty of space for National Parks, on top of the fact that Canada won't rely on FAITH to get those National Parks (in come the Mounties), meaning that they can get A LOT of Tourism from that alone

Not to mention that the HOCKEY RINKS ARE A SUPER-PUMPED THEATRE SQUARES. Anytime I picked up Desert Folklore or Dance of Aurora my Holy Sites would SWIM in Faith, and while you can't get double the Culture, there's plenty of sources of Tourism through there (doesn't the Cultural Heritage or Conservation yhield Tourism from Culture-based improvements equal to the Culture output?)

Hockey Rinks are likelky to yield +6 Culture per city, that's SIX culture per City, since they get +1 Culture per every adjacent Tundra tile.

The Canada are like the perfect Turle civ, they can live off in far away Northern/Southern hemispheres wihtou the worry of conflict, turtle up and grow, become a steady rival in Diplomatic and Cultural victory (two victories that are likely passive) and snatch, they are in my eyes a very dangerous civ to go up against, since their cities will yield nothing useful for you.

I mean sure they may be bit stereotypical, but if you take away the entirety of their representation and just look at the bonuses enough I think they are quite impressive.

I am pretty sure that this is the first (and hopefully only) First Look that I have been far more interested in the Screenshot analysis of any revelations about new mechanics and game elements (wonders, improvements, etc.) than anything actually related to the Civ they announced.
Yes, me too. I could barely concentrate reading the abilities when the screen came up since my eyes just wanted to wander to other things and my brain said it wants coffee.

Let's just hope it is not the only civ with the teased "drawbacks" and some more civs with have those.

First thoughts are meh. They will be like scotland where i will get around to playing them, but they wont be my first. I dont think they are bad, but unless GS plays vastly different, they aren't too impressive. Most of my games, i have a hard time making National parks without removing stuff and stuffing it in.(not counting natural wonders) Even more so when i am crammed in to a smart part of an island or continent. If i have a lot of room to spread, then its more likely i can make a few of them. So basically what i am saying is, idk if that national park ability will be that good. Especially on offense if the AI doesn't make an National parks. I guess if you plan it right, they can be pretty good on defense patrolling your borders.

the other stuff relating to diplo victory is hard to quantify, as we dont know much about it yet, and how its balanced.

Wow. I feel like they've combined the boringness of America with the stereotyped portrayal of Scotland, but without the epic stool kick or Teddy's theatricality. :p All that's missing is maple syrup and bacon. :mischief:
This is the content I come here for.

Btw: any things you like about this? @Siptah felt like you'd like the immunity to surprise wars (I agree).

I've always felt that's why Brazil is the way it is in both V and VI, so that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Yeah totally. I mean all civ are high stereotypes and as Brazilian I can tell you that, there are so few cities (comparing to the total) that are nearly close to jungle that the district adjacency bonus for jungle is pureally a big stereotype. not to mention the carnival and Copacabana. But it is nice to see your country in the game. I love ours brothers, US, and goingo further north, I love even more. I always had interest in the canadian culture and history and I don't know but I kind like what they did. - I'm sorry if I offend some canadians here misinterpreteding yours culture and history liking what they did.

What Civ calls "tundra" is really "taiga and tundra" -- Civ tundra has forests on it while real tundra almost always does not have trees. Firaxis didn't want to add both taiga and tundra so they just simplified it.

Canada and Russia are both heavily taiga so that is why they are "Civ tundra" civs.

From Wikipedia on Taiga:

Exactly my thoughts.

Top Bottom