1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Temppu

Temppu Warlord

"Grants bonus Diplomatic Favor based on per-turn Tourism."

The wording suggests that Favor generation from Tourism may be a universal things, although Canada is stronger in this generation. That said, 1 Favor for 100 Tourism does not sound much for a boosted generation. Particularly when the natural disaster Emergency generated over 5000 Favor (1:13 in the video), it would seem.

Hopefully this is not the only mechanic to get some non-CV use for Tourism.

Leathaface, WillowBrook, bbbt and 2 others like this.
  2. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

A huge demand for dentistry services.

Kimiimaro, qadams, Guandao and 3 others like this.
  3. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Bit bland, but probably fun to play.

Take off, eh!

WillowBrook and Guandao like this.
  4. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

Hockey players. :p

More realistically, it was probably just a buff to help with the tundra. If you want to tie it to something real, happy workers are productive workers.

CivLuvah likes this.
  5. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

A Tundra flat yields +1 Food.

Neither civ adds to it

A Farm provides +1 Food, that's +2 Food per turn from a single Tundra Yield

A farm surrounded by 6 Farms will eventually yield +7 Food

7 Farms will provide +3.5 Housing.

A triangle of farms will each provide +1 food, that's +3 Food from Farms.

So I see your point, if Russia gets the first pick and Picks Feed the World then yes, they do get a lot of food, but they still lack any source of Housing, eventually, Canadian city will overcome Russia's growth eventually, since they won't be hindered by Housing Shortage penalty.

Jkchart and Ziad like this.
  6. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy The Village Idiot

Happy people are productive

7. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

Wow, this is some of the best nutshelling I've ever read.

DefiantMars, Jkchart and Ziad like this.
  8. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

According to the International Ice Hockey Federation, in 2010 there are 1.44 million people playing hockey worldwide. According to the World Baseball and Softball Confederation there are 65 million people playing baseball or softball worldwide. I would have bought a Baseball Field as a UB replacing Stadiums before I bought a Hockey Rink as a UI for Canada. It would have made more sense to give Canada a UI replacement for Camps, in my humble opinion. This would have been a less cliched choice and it wouldn't have pigeonholed them into a latter game cultural Civ, a niche America already fills.

9. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

There's a follow-up video

Kimiimaro likes this.
  10. Softly

Softly Warlord

People keep bashing this but I think they have the potential to be pretty pretty fun mid-tier civ.

Unique Ability – Four Faces of Peace
    This ability prevents Canada from declaring surprise wars on opponents or declaring war on City-States, but also ensures that surprise wars can’t be declared against Canada. Grants bonus Diplomatic Favor based on per-turn Tourism, and Canada receives extra Diplomatic Favor from successfully completing Emergencies or Scored Competitions.

80% of losses on deity are turn 20 DOWs by the Aztecs or France. This gives you another 5 turns at least to prepare. Too early to tell how strong the extra diplomatic favor will be but I imagine this makes them strong at the new diplomatic victory type. Also think they designed it well tying it in to tourism and emergencies/competitions. No wars on city states can definitely be a handicap.

Unique Building – Ice Hockey Rink
    Ice Hockey Rinks grant additional Appeal and Amenity, and bonus Culture for each adjacent Snow, Snow Hills, Tundra, and Tundra Hills tile. Once the Flight technology is unlocked, grants Tourism from Culture; after unlocking the Professional Sports Civic, awards additional Production and Food; and, if built adjacent to a Stadium building, grants even more Culture. Only one Ice Hockey Rink allowed within a city’s borders.

So an Ice Hockey Rink surrounded by tundra and next to a stadium provides +1 amenity, +2 appeal, +10 culture, +2 production, +2 food and +10 tourism. Those are some really nice yields. The appeal has synergy with the Mounties and the stadium bonus has synergy with the civ ability (stadiums help with Scored Competitions). Negative is that is comes very late and takes even longer to ramp up to full strength.

Unique Unit – Mountie
    This modern era unit has the ability to create a National Park. Mounties receive combat bonuses when fighting near a National Park, and an additional combat bonus if the National Park is owned by Canada.

The ability to ignore holy sites when going for a culture victory will be very very nice. Tundra tends to have high appeal tiles and if you place your ice rink correctly I can imagine Canada doing very well with national parks. As a military unit doubt it will be very helpful as (1) You probably wont be doing alot of late game warfare if you are going for a culture or diplomatic victory. (2) Don't think I've ever seen the AI build a national park. Only real military use I can think of for these guys is late game emergencies to get that sweet double diplomatic favor.

Laurier Unique Ability – The Last Best West
    This ability allows Canada to build farms on Tundra terrain, and reduces the cost of purchasing Snow and Tundra tiles by half. Gathering accumulated resources from Snow and Tundra tiles yields twice the usual amount.

Farms on Tundra terrain are pretty useless as the tiles will still have -1 yield when compared to normal flatland farms. Should have made tundra farms an additional +1 food imo. Cheaper tile purchase is always nice as it makes it easier to place and lock in district costs or access important resources earlier. It is hard to tell how powerful the gathering accumulated resources will be before we've had to a chance to try out that system but I imagine it is pretty powerful as tundra in general has a higher chance of spawning Niter and Oil.

Tundra starts can be rough but there are also a couple advantages. (1) You likely wont share a border with anyone on your tundra side, meaning that once you clear out barb camps you can keep your military on the other side of your empire. It also means you have more flexibility when settling as you don't need to necessarily take defensive positioning into account when deciding where to settle. (2) The AI will leave tundra alone for a long time. Meaning you don't need to worry about all the good settlement spots being swallowed up by the AI. I can not overstate how strong ancestral hall can be if you have the luxury of delaying your settler building. (3) Tundra is filled with forest and void of marsh, floodplains and jungle. This makes them great locations for national parks. (4) Tundra often has many camp resources making an early Temple of Artemis very possible and very strong.

footslogger and TahamiTsunami like this.
  11. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

I wouldn't say Canada would have been my first choice but I can appreciate their input to Civ VI's gameplay paradigms.

Unique Ability – Four Faces of Peace
    This ability prevents Canada from declaring surprise wars on opponents or declaring war on City-States, but also ensures that surprise wars can’t be declared against Canada. Grants bonus Diplomatic Favor based on per-turn Tourism, and Canada receives extra Diplomatic Favor from successfully completing Emergencies or Scored Competitions.

Laurier Unique Ability – The Last Best West
    This ability allows Canada to build farms on Tundra terrain, and reduces the cost of purchasing Snow and Tundra tiles by half. Gathering accumulated resources from Snow and Tundra tiles yields twice the usual amount.

Canada will likely appeal to players who like to expand quickly then turtle. They favor a sort of "friendly to everyone" mentality, a sort of gameplay paradigm that is surprisingly rare in civ.

The way I would play Canada is by quick expansion into the Tundra (really Taiga in terms of Canada) early on. So if you start on or near Tundra tiles, just spend the early parts of the game spreading as much as you can to take as much land as you can that is typically uninhabited and undesired by the AI.

This bonus to farms and resources will complement that strategy outlined above. You'll be able to grow on Tundra, both in population in land, pretty quickly. The bonus resources you get from accumulation can be used to fund that. Sell any excess resources to other powers for more income (and relations), which in turn will allow you to grab even more land quickly and support your empire.

This "expansion" rush will take up most of your early game. Midgame will be about reinforcing your borders and tackling emergencies. Your goal is to make everyone like you through trade and emergencies.

Use the latter part of the game to build up a massive culture/tourism boost through stadiums and readily available natural parks.

They lend themselves to a diplomatic or culture victory.

I dunno. They sound kinda fun for a particular gameplay approach, eh.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  12. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I wanted some kind of forest ability, yeah. Maybe a lumber mill or something to do with camps like you said. But the rink is fine for what it is and I think the mockery for it producing culture is misplaced, because that's exactly what they do.

13. klail

klail Chieftain

I didn't know Hockey was invented in Canada. I knew it was popular up there but I thought it was an older game. The "Last Best West" is also some interesting history of which I was unaware. Learning some cool (ha) things about our northern neighbor today.

WillowBrook and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  14. Saltcreek

Saltcreek Chieftain

I think this really depends on when the ice rink will be available to build. If it is late game (which many are assuming) then a lot of the Canadian civ goes unused because it will simply be too slow.

That is a lot of investment for those farm tiles and while you are doing that Russia has religion, culture, great writers and cossacks running around. Basically Canada is a +2 tundra farm civ until the late game and by then it may not even matter (at least in multiplayer).

15. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Another note: Naturalists get more expensive as you purchase more of them. I think it's safe to assume that Mounties are treated like regular troops in that they don't have a cost increase they follow like religious/civilian/naturalist units. This makes National Parks even cheaper to outright purchase - OR you can just build them (edit: while using a +production% policy card...), which is not something you can do with Naturalists.

16. King William I

King William I Prince

Uh, what's that other song in the FL? It doesn't quite sound like O Canada...

17. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

You can no longer ignore troops on the border in GS it appears (from a screenshot in gameplay video last week)

I can create one every single game. Yes it will require you to remove your adjacent mines. Everyone here mines everything, but this does prevent you from placing national parks because of the negative appeal. Also don't forget city park is a thing.

18. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

This is not a fair comparison. Russia is built for Religion and its intersection with Culture. Canada is rather about Diplomacy, an aspect of the game which is still relatively ambiguous.

19. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I hope you're right! I read "bonus" as meaning coming from a source that other civs don't have, but it might be extra from a source that all civs now have.

Strike that. The actual wording is "for every 100 Tourism earn 1 Diplomatic Favor." Nothing about "bonus".

20. King William I

King William I Prince

A lot of the comments are unfair. If you hate the stereotypes that's one thing, but they've clearly rebalance a lot of mechanics that make the bonuses hard to judge

godeater likes this.