Canada

Guys this is easy. As a Canadian I know that this could go two ways. One, Canada was a part of Britain for a long time unlike America, therefore making america a civilization. America acts on itself. Canada just recently broke off from Britain so they should be associated with the British Civ.

Also they could be their own Civilization. Anyone ever heard of Vimy Ridge? The fort in France that Gremany had and the British and French failed to re-capture while losing over a million men over a year. The Canadians stepped in and took the ridge in 5 hours with 10 000 men.

In case any of you don't know, Canada was settled and was colonized before America. So if America is a Civilization, Canada has to be.

A great Canadian Leader could be many people. John A Macdonald, the first prime minister. Another leader could be Peirre Elliot Trudeau. He was the prime minister who influenced Canada the most. Also there are military leaders such as Wolfe in the war of 1812.

A UU could be the Canadian Mountie (everyone knows 'em) or they could be the Fighters in the WW2 era. Were do you think the Allied pilots trained? Then again a Canadian Special building could be secret arial training centre.

Just so you guys know, If you think Americans are more involved in wars and such, who was one of the only counties that stayed in both world wars from the start to the finish? Not America. It's Canada. Who defeated the americans in the 1800's when they ATTEMPTED to invade Canada for their resources. The Canadians defeated them and drove them back.

Next time you thinm Canada is a bunch of wussies and dont fight, or aren't a civ, think about how they stand up to the "great Americans".:king: :goodjob:

Civ will never be a platform to play Canada versus the US. For that, you gotta try Supreme Ruler 2010 - they not only have that option in a couple of scenarios, but if the Canadians can get the US states to fight among themselves, they have a good chance of taking over :) Plus, the Canadian regions are more diplomatic than the US ones. Both points seem real enough to me :)

Maybe Civ should throw in a Canadian civilization anyways, sorta a 'kinder and gentler' American option :D

Get the American states to fight each other? Real enough? Thats got to be one of the most ignorant things Ive ever read... You know thats why its in a GAME.
This thread is unbelievable. WHat do they teach you people? A thread FOR canadians, ABOUT canadians, BY canadians. Go ahead, sit around and pat yourselves on the back. But Im not reading no more of this liberal anti american sentiment.

Well then dont come in here if you cant take the critisisim people are just talking about their opinions on issues and it's mostly about Canadian issuses the American bashing stuff happens when Americans come in here and make stupid comments about something they know nothing about.

Well leaving politics behind for a moment here how many of you are going to be attending the grey cup this year?

Canuck Bill said:
If anything Alberta should join up with the NWT and seperate. Then we could horde the oil and water resources and create a financial civ.

Alberta separation is arguable more of a pipe dream than Quebec separation. But bringing the NWT is an interesting idea with regard to water access. Of course as you know that's impossible as the NWT is federal territory.

Its because there is no more money to grab. They love Alberta and all that cash that flows east.

Only 2 provinces provide money to the public coffers - Alberta and Ontario. Everyone else gets cash infusions, including BC and Saskatchewan. The whole purpose of equalization is to stabilize those areas of the country whose markets aren't productive but are necessary. You need wheat, you need lumber, you need coal. Even if those markets aren't profitable on the world stage in the way oil or commercial goods are. What's the alternative? Have everyone from Chicoutimi move to Edmonton?

There are good reasons why we pay to stabilize other sectors - it diversifies our economy and makes our country more attractive for foreign investment. We are a G-8 country, after all - the smallest (pop wise) among them.

The equalization system is far, far from ideal, but the base is sound.

Chopperhead said:
Why is this the kinda statement that is the reason why the PC wont get elected? You have no idea how many people apposed that ruling the entire province of Alberta did just to go right off the top of my head.

Alberta ran about 60-40, but that was on the issue of gay marriage, not civil unions. In other words, Albertans had more of a cultural issue with the definition rather than the absolute arrangement of same-sex unions.

ehBeaver said:
BC is doing very well, just a bit less than Alberta.

BC is an awesome province. I just love it there, and it's just as great in the interior as in Vancouver or on the island. But let's be honest - BC is not doing anywhere near as well as Alberta. No one is right now. BC is still a "have not" province. They're on the rebound from a terrible past decade but they are not out of the woods yet.

R-A-N-M-A said:
Let's be honest about the Same Sex marriage issue, for or against it you have to admit it was blown way out of proportion. In reality it was a non issue. No one should make disicions on political preferance based souly on it, any one who would shouldn't be allowed to vote.

I absolutely agree. I support same-sex marriage, but it was an issue that got far more airtime than was necessary (we've seen this coming for years, and the provincial courts had already pushed this through, more or less). So why was it so played out?? Because it was an issue parties could use to galvinize support or demonize their opposition - on both sides! And it worked very well in some cases, unfortunately.

That is just pure Liberal Propaganda. The conservatives do not support criminalizing abortion, they do not support Capitol punishment either. those are non-issues and have been for years. Every time the Liberals blunder around ellection time they go to their age old defense of "Well you think that's bad the conservaties will...". It is sickening how many times voters have swalloed that tripe.

See, this is the direction I want to avoid in this country and it's one we are headed in nevertheless. Terms like "propaganda" and "neocon" and "liberal media", etc. etc. on *both* sides is exactly what's ****ing up the US right now. Like I said earlier, Canadians will change their vote on a dime if it seems like a good idea at the time. Continued polarization will lead to nothing good.

Sorry, I'm not trying to criticize you - just the choice of words. :) It's discouraging. We live in a society with very free media and plenty of opportunity to learn the truth if we care to seek it out.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's comments, though. Good stuff.

weasel77066 said:
But Im not reading no more of this liberal anti american sentiment.

Dude, then why'd you read for 14 pages?? I'd have quit after 3-4.

Anyway, Canadians love the US despite what you hear in some circles. Check the tourism stats and border crossings. The problem is played heavy now mostly because of the differences on some very key issues, from Iraq to softwood lumber. They'll go away in time and be replaced by new ones.

ehBeaver said:
My brother has 2 tickets and he's going to sell them if the Lions arent in it.

I couldnt get teickets it was sold out by the time I had the money do oh well maybe next year I guess.

GO ESKS!!!!!!

You are right about propaganda it wasn't quite the word I was looking for but I think you understand the point I am trying to get at.

Jecrell said:
Every nation with a rich history deserves to be in the Civilization series, but for Civilization IV I think they must also have a great leader as well. Who would be the great leader of Canada?

I have no idea, but perhaps someone can fit the bill?

I don't know about any miliatry leaders or prophets but

Great Scientist suggestions:
David Suzuki
Alexander Graham Bell

Great Artist Suggestions:
Mike Myers
Jim Carry
Wyane Grezky

Drool4Res-pect said:
I don't know about any miliatry leaders or prophets but

Great Scientist suggestions:
David Suzuki
Alexander Graham Bell

Great Artist Suggestions:
Mike Myers
Jim Carry
Wyane Grezky

Check out the Canada mod - work thread in the Customization section I listed about 5-7 people for each leader type, and several others had some great suggestions.

Military leader, not sure, perhaps Sir Arthur Currie (WW1 Canadian General, Ypres, Vimy Ridge,etc...)

Stevo_D said:
Why do people always demand Canada go on the Civ4? i mean, Canada is a fairly prosperous country, is very beautiful, and has a nice culture, but to be frank, just hasn't done that much anyone agree or disagree?

Well they were powerful attackers in both world wars, when Canada was still a British colony it fought the war of 1812 and they have the Canadian National a.k.a. CN Tower. I would think they would be okay but they are origanally colonies. I dont think that if you are origanally a colony you qualfiy.

I don't think Canada, America or any other colonyeis should be in. However I do think the CN tower should be a great wonder.

well in my opinion canada couldnt be in the civilization game because they only began being their own country during WW1, but i would love it if they added a canadian country simply because this would be the only country in the game that would give you money if your down, give you tech and then fight your wars and let you take credit

Wyz_sub10 said:
Only 2 provinces provide money to the public coffers - Alberta and Ontario. Everyone else gets cash infusions, including BC and Saskatchewan.
sry about that but you are wrong about this. Quebec provide almost 1/3 of Canada's economy... Remember Manic 1-2-3-4-5 (it's our money not yours)... Why do you think they dont want us to separate from Canada... it's not because we look good !

nothing personnal...

Top Bottom