Capto Iugulum

TO: United American Republic, Great Lakes Republic, Okeechobee, Appalachia, Mississippi

The present crisis imperils us all. Chairman Scipio requests an emergency meeting with the representatives of your nations to discuss the American situation.

To the German Federation
From the Franco-Burgundian Confederation

We take note of your change of government and now see you as a single sovereign nation, and we hope for continued cordial relations with you.

To the remnants of the USA
From the Confederation

While we cannot help being sad to see a great nation crumble, we equally rejoice that the vast majority of the American people have overthrown tyranny, and at that the very worst form of tyranny. We hope that a peaceful solution to most of your problems should be found without too much difficulty.

We recognise the United American Republic, the Grand Republic of Florida, the Republic of Jacksonia, the Republic of Hawaii, the Free Republic of Scottson, and the Great Lakes Republic, and we will be opening embassies accordingly as we see fit.

OOC: I am away from the 21st to the 28th, and so I will send orders before I go and after I come back and will be unavailable for diplomacy. Please feel free, however, to direct diplomacy at me today and I will make sure I answer it quickly.

To: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Brazil, Germany, Japan

We hope that your nations can support Florida in its independence. We know that some of you desire democratic governance. We can promise that free elections will be restored upon the end of hostilities with Grand Florida, or a time prior. What would it take to earn your support?

TO: Florida

A binding treaty with Brazil to hold democratic elections in 1914 would gain Floridians the full support of Brazilian liberty.

Flanders feels that at this time it is important to remind all League members of Resolution 002:
With the Treaties of Madrid and Tuileries now in effect, members of the League vow to avoid any political, economic or military intervention in the Western Hemisphere so long as the nations of the Western Hemisphere likewise do not interfere in Europe.

Flanders also hopes that no nation, League or non-League, will manipulate this situation against the best interests of the American people in order to expand their own power.

TO: Florida

A binding treaty with Brazil to hold democratic elections in 1914 would gain Floridians the full support of Brazilian liberty.

To: Brazil, United Kingdom of Great Britain, and other interested parties

1. The Grand Republic of Florida promises to hold a Constitutional Convention in the year 1914, so the people of the Grand Republic may determine the governmental structure of the Grand Republic.

2. The Grand Republic of Florida will hold democratic elections according to the Constitution of the Grand Republic of Florida in 1916 or whatever year the Convention decides.

3. The Empire of Brazil and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland will recognize the legitimacy of the Grand Republic of Florida as an independent and democratic nation.

Agreed, with reservations because we can. Clause 3 only comes into effect when the convention selects a democratic constitution.

Toulouse Accords

The Confederation and Occitania agree to a defensive alliance, applicable only in a defensive war against Germany or Spain, to a ten year non-aggression pact, and to the mutual reduction of tariffs between their nations, with gradual reductions to continue indefinitely, either until either party no longer wishes to continue, or until there are no longer any tariffs in place.

Signed by the plenipotentiaries of the Parliament of the Franco-Burgundian Confederation

Agreed, with reservations because we can. Clause 3 only comes into effect when the convention selects a democratic constitution.

Fair enough, although we would hope that Brazil will allow the people of Florida to choose the form of democracy fitting to them, and not the form of democracy Brazil desires. But freedom will be preserved regardless.

Britain will have no accord with an illiberal government. But we will wait and watch.

To: Florida

Of course we accept. We must work together if we hope to vanquish the remnants of the American military regime once and for all and restore true democracy to North America. We would also like to say that we applaud your efforts to make peace with the Aztecs.
(OOC: Circuit, sorry I hadn't responded to this earlier.)

To: United American Republic

We recognize you as the sole heir to the United States of America. As a democratic nation, you are the true United States (or it's successor), not the remnant of the military regime in Washington.

To: Jacksonia

We are very pleased to hear this.

To: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

We are disappointed to hear this. "Wait and see" is not good enough. We are in need of support now. We will proceed with democratization, but will seek support elsewhere.

You forget yourself. British support is not a privilege to which you are entitled. Mind yourself.

The United American Republic could use some leadership. ;)

I'll be catching up on recent events ASAP.

You forget yourself. British support is not a privilege to which you are entitled. Mind yourself.

To: The United Kingdom

We know this. If you will not grant us this privilege, we will seek it elsewhere.

Jonathan Hayes

Mr. Vice President, Mr. Speaker, members of the Federal Congress, and most imporantly, the citizens of the United States of America:

It is both with a heavy heart, and an overall feeling of despondancy, that I stand before the People of the United States to deliver my first speech as President. Where as my successors had the fortune to, more often than not, give their inaugual addresses in a time of joy, I'm afraid that mine will forever be overshadowed by the brutal murder of the heroic and honorable President Miller. After such a glowing light is abruptly put out, it is hard to face the reality that another light must be lit, so the darkness and uncertainty this time brings us will not-- can not, prevail.

In the few years I have had the honor of serving as the Secretary of State for the United States of America, I must admit I have never envied President Miller. This moment in our history as a people is unequaled in both the urgency and the consequences my actions, and ours as a nation will have on future generations of Free Americans. A spirit of rebellion and treachery has swept through larges portions of our national territories, from the Central Pacific, deep into the reaches of upstate New York. These rebels and knaves have their mislead citizentry parade about in what seems to be almost a joyous celebration, while the tyrannical leaders of these regions hide behind a facade of fake liberty and fake freedoms. They offer their misguided citizens nothing, and are simply opportunists, announcing their independence from the United States in a time of weakness, as Proletarians and Negroes rip through our heartlands. They are not men, they are cowards, who wish to profit off of a perceived disunity among the Federal powers. They are not only wrong, but they have taken a gamble that they will lose.

We have been wrong by men we have considered compatriots, friends and in many parts of the South, workers and extended-family members. While us Americans are well known to be a well-meaning and benevolent people, we are also a people who have a long memory, and a penchant for serving justice, both appropriately and decisively. We are people who have been wronged by our very own countrymen, and with that, note that they are to be considered Americans no longer. They are not worthy of such a title- they are provincials- and in the case of the Negro communities relatively sub-human. We are united by common American principles shared by our ancestors since the day the revolution started, principles that we shall mantain regardless of internal turmoil or external commotions. We are a people who are priviledged enough to represent the ideals of a truly free and Republican society, just in the way the people manage the government, and the way in which the government attempts to aid it's citizenry. Which is why I plan on leading the United States through what seems to be it's toughest test yet as a free and independent nation, with those ideals and principles firmly intact, blind to the now external opposition of the rebelling states.

I must take the time now to promise that I will clarify and rectify my plans for the coming years, and the mistakes made by my predecessors. First and foremost, it is here I will publicly announce, with resolve, that free, and honest elections that had been postponed this year will occur in the year Nineteen-Hundrend and Fourteen of our Lord, in the same manner it has always, and will always be done. While this election shall assumably be without the fanfare and variety of candidates previous elections have had, it shall be an election nonetheless, as the true power of the American people will be shown at the ballot box. Since voting is the most American of all of our cultural institutions, it seems both prudent and appropriate to have a proper election with great haste. I have given myself a one-year grace to prepare for the election, and handle the current situations that have thrust themselves into the open.

While I am calling upon you to preform the most American of your duties in the year Nineteen-Hundrend and Fourteen of our Lord, it is in this year I call upon you to do your second; volunteer to fight in the Federal Army against the insurgency that has spread throughout our heartlands. Volunteerism is what has made this nation a viable answer to the problems of the Old-World, and is what has answered all of our own problems. It is sobering thought that, so soon after the end of one Great War, another should erupt on our doorstep. It is always a shame to see be trained in the arts of war, rather than commerce and industry, but we have little choice but to call upon our nations man-power to re-establish Federal control over the rebelling territories. A nation-wide draft must be implemented to see that our sovereignty and ideals are not compromised by the capitalizing opportunists that have taken it upon themselves to lead a crusade against the concept of America.

This is not a day of celebration, assuredly. This is not a day of parades, and festivities. It's a day of solemn dedication to duty, duty which will propagate the very idea of a United States of America. I shall give everything in my ability to see to it that it does not falter, and that it does not disappear. This is a task I am well prepared to see to an end, through any means possible and necessary. This is the time that we take a look through the magnifying glass, and see who is ready to invent for this great nation, build for this great nation, and if need be, die for this great nation. It is those peoples that have the honor, and distinguishment of being an American. And it is my promise to you, the Federal government, and the citizenry that I am proud to consider myself a true-blooded American. The only question is if you consider yourselves to be one too.

Who shall live up to this title? Who shall see to it, that once again we can truly be a nation that rules from Ocean to Ocean. We are a people with many proficiencies, and our greatness is without limit, so long as we strive to stay united and strong, and defeat the evil stirrings that have taken a grasp on our old countrymen.

May God bless the military, the citizenry, their congress, and give me the strength, determination and tenacity to overcome the obstacles no man in our history has before had to face. But most importantly, may God bless the United States of America, and see to it that the wrongs levied against her are righted by His most virtues of people.

To: The World

We would like to make it very public, that we consider any attempts at negotiating with, trading with, or supporting areas in rebellion against the United States is to be taken as a directly, and purposeful hostile action against us. We are looking to end this rebellion at a reasonable speed, and return a sense of normalcy upon the North American continent. Despite the murder of our beloved President, we will continue to abide by any previous deals his Administration set forth, and we sincerely hope the necessary powers will do the same.

To: The Rebelling States

Recent actions on behalf of the Proletarians and Negroes may have led you to believe that the Federal government of the United States of America is ill-prepared to face a mass insurgency, one your states have taken part in. This thought is completely false, and know that the Federal government, the proper government, is more than ready to answer your unwarranted calls for independence, with a military response. A Grand Army of the Republic is being formed as this message is being read, and it will strike to those who refuse to submit to Federal authority, or back the sham New English government that has set itself up in New York City. Should you wish to re-establish yourself in the United States, we offer a onetime deal- all acts if treason will be forgotten, and forgiven should you submit to Federal authority without us needing to force you to. Should your illegally elected governments chose to do otherwise, consider yourselves an enemy of the United States of America.

To: The Negro Proletarians

Know this- your rebellion's, and mass murder of citizens of the United States will not stand. Surrender now, or face No Quarter when the Federal Army comes bursting down the doors of your communal huts.

To: Vinland

Regardless of previous tensions both perceived and actual, know that we have little interest in hostilities with you. A friendly relationship between our nations has been fruitful for both of our peoples, and we hope that at this current time you limit your communication with the insurgents on your borders. Also know that should you chose to accept refugees for whatever reason, from these rebelling lands, we will not hold it against you, so long as you do so in the name of humanitarianism, and not politics.

To: Brazil

Your declaration of war is both unwarranted, and useless. It will only bring more death to what is likely to become a rather nasty conflict should nations such as yourselves decide to become involved. We have little time for Brazillian games, and have started taking the appropriate precausions. We wish for peace with you, despite previous conflict, and will be susceptible to peace talks, so long as they are genuine, with peace in mind, not another attempt at humiliation.

OOC: Gah, sorry if this is all wrong. It'd be appreciated if Circuit, or players that have some sort of relationship with the United States to PM me with the relevent information, so I'm not nearly as lost.

I plan on playing this for about 5 turns, before reverting back to Germany for good. With the cards stacked against me, I guess it's a good choice. ;)

OOC: I've told you the only error I've found. Everything else is fine, and the President of the United States probably would say that. Keep in mind, though, that "voters" are only current or former members of the military under the Constitution. I'll send you a PM of relavant information soon.

Also, congratz for being the first American faction for writing a story. Hopefully it won't be the last.

I figured I'd try my hand. I'm not much of a story writer, so this is an accomplishment, I'd say. I'll try to fix that mistake. And I sort of had an idea it wasn't a true Republic, it's more of a rhetoric thing.

Top Bottom