1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CDG Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Blatc, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Knoxbanedoodle

Knoxbanedoodle Chieftain

What DLC do I have to have to load these games?

2. phryxolydian

phryxolydian Warlord

G$K and BNW., as well as all the civs, of course.

I'd be up for that. Haven't played a large map in quite some time. Huge maps, imo, would be more of a drag than anything else if going for DomVs. I imagine most would conquer a few civs and then switch to some other VC?

I've only played a huge map once and it was a CV (not on Deity) so, why not? it'd be an interesting challenge, in any case!

3. consentient

consentient Domination!

Advantages of bigger maps, as far as I can tell from having played a few, are:-

1. They're harder, which means everyone will have to improve their game. No more easy wins.
    2. They encourage wide play, in fact they make it more or less compulsory. If on T200 you still only have 4-5 cities and the runaways have 50+, you'll find it hard to compete.
    3. They make diplomacy much more interesting, since the alliances and so on are far more important. On Standard, once your army is decent you can ignore diplomacy and still win (even though its not optimal to do so). On Large maps, let alone Huge, you have to be a lot more careful with the promises you make.
    4. War is practically guaranteed to reach the later eras. My last Large map game went to GDRs, and I think I played really well. I can't see it being that easy to wrap it up before Modern any more.

But if, as was suggested by Phryx, a lot of games involve conquest in the early and midgames and then settle into another VC, I think that's fine and natural, too. If you think about it, that's kinda how it worked in real life!

4. beetle

beetle Deity

I am not having any success editing the game file headers, so I will not be trying to share a Small Continents Plus map.
    I have only tried for dom on large maps, that is probably why I am prejudiced against them.

I do not think things scale right on large maps, perhaps the most obvious being the fixed number of trade routes. But if we are not trying to force dom VC, then I would be all for trying large or huge maps.

The CDGs should not include Immortal maps, obviously.

We have not much experimented with mods, but frankly I do not think there can be interesting mods without DLLs, and it is a great thing that this series has stayed Mac/Linux friendly.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  5. consentient

consentient Domination!

The point about Immortal is that the remaining player base for this series seems to be mostly people that, in all honesty, are not that great at Deity.

Not to single anyone out, but if a player reloads a bunch of times in order to beat a map, then it's obviously no longer fit to call it a challenge, really, is it?

And I don't understand the fixation on the CDG as a reified thing. It's barely been kept going, and has so few posted finishes for the last few maps. Isn't it time to do something else?

6. beetle

beetle Deity

I think @Sclb summed up my own feelings pretty well (except that I would still score folks getting any VC) a year ago. And is not the Immortal Alphabet series still going?
    EDIT: Immortal game is up at GotM, see TSG146 Announcement!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  7. consentient

consentient Domination!

Ok well I think I'm done with this series then. Good luck to the handful of people who want to keep it going :)

8. beetle

beetle Deity

Please share that one?

9. beetle

beetle Deity

Election Day tomorrow in the USA! I have two maps ready to go, and Friday off. If Clinton wins, I will post a game for Dido. If Trump wins, I will post a game for Nebby.

10. Blatc

Blatc Prince

beetle, could you please post the Babylon map regardless

11. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

beetle, could you please post the Dido map regardless

12. beetle

beetle Deity

LOL. Yes, I will post both maps … eventually. I am hoping that will be after @Maxattack posts Rome and @consentient posts Poland.

EDIT1: Babylon map is up.
    EDIT2: Dibs on Polynesia. I will be looking for a Terra type map, suitable for CV.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  13. consentient

consentient Domination!

I won't be posting any more. I'm done with Civ. Good luck to all!

14. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

You're done with Civ 5 or with Civilization for good???

15. beetle

beetle Deity

Wonder of wonders, I have posted a new CDG game, Arabia. Somewhere on my hard drive is that Dido game from 14 months ago. I still call dibs on Polynesia, which will probably be next (now that I have figured out the Rotate Start Position mod). I will not be bothering with achievements unless the conversations magically come back to life.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  16. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

Bloody hot downstairs - it's been a while. I prolly need some practise before tackling this one but welcome the reboot, even a modest one, of the series.
    Now all I need is to get back to home, kick start the game & heavy dose of L2P.

17. beetle

beetle Deity

I want to say @Grendeldef, that I appreciate your appreciation!

I have a nice (i.e., Moai-friendly) Polynesia map ready to share, but I think I will wait another week. I am still working on getting a DV from the Arabian game I posted last week.

18. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

I started the consentient's new Spain challenge today and after 20 odd turns started wondering the setting only to notice it was on Immortal but I think I'll still finish that one first as a learning experience and to have some fun. Spain is like that mad uncle one meets occasionally to have really good time but at the same time thinking that I'm glad I don't have to deal with him everyday.

After that will be Harun's time but I'm taking these in a relaxed pace so I'm not worried what's about to come next I just hope something will eventually come up.

19. beetle

beetle Deity

I just posted CDG #26 Polynesia.

I have some notes, but my game was actually pretty straightforward. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion! It will be a bit before I get around to it.

It is kind of ridiculous for me to be pretending to be continuing the CDG series when, (1) the previous game was more than a year ago; and (2) I cannot be bothered with “achievement points” even though that was kind the whole basis for that series. But absent any other kind of structure, I am falling back on the only organizational formatting that I have used before.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  20. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

I wouldn't be too worried about the achi points, numbering of the future games or much of anything else for that matter. The concept changed few times over the course but with the current player base being diminished from the high times I think those participating will be quite happy to see at least a map & few comments later on - I for one surely will. Hosting a series was never supposed to be even a part time job and sometimes rolling a suitable map seems like one.

Continue from the #26 onwards seems fine to as it is unlikely to have to pay royalties for using an existing series or you can name the new series as B(eetle)xx or something. I think the main point here is that by finding one game in the series it'll be easy to find the others and so on. Also, it'd be helpful if new games aren't released too close to each other etc - nothing new but a matter of some coordination for everyone's convenience.

I can also volunteer myself for rolling a map(s) once in a while - preferably with a selected leader well in advance as I am notoriously bad for rolling good ones.