Challenge: Earliest UHVs with the Final patch

After loading up a lot of 600AD starts as Russia, I finally got one which flipped a German city (Essen) on my Russian spawn. Conveniently, the declaration of war also doubles the starting army for Russia. With the extra units, I was able to subjugate Germany to vassal status from the outset as well as capture a whole bunch of workers to start improving terrain around my empire.

Next targets were Constantinople, Athens and Rome. A couple of suicide catapults and the veteran Horse Archers finished the job. At the same time, Vikings had not expanded towards the east so I managed to settle Lulea (I think the best city-site in Scandinavia).

An early trireme was whipped from Essen and sailed immediately to make contact with Mali. Trading for Divine Right quite early meant I was able to build Spiral Minaret before Arabia, which was very important. I think I locked in 100% science from that point and never adjusted the research setting for the remainder of the game.

Netherlands vassalised voluntarily just as I circumnavigated the world, so I gifted them a few techs to get them along to Astronomy and made sure that they were the first European colonial power to settle the new world. Aztecs and Incas were subjugated by force. Germany finally collapsed at about this point, but my Dutch vassal picked up most of the pieces.

After the Turkish spawn, their culture impeded Constantinople too much so I razed Sogut and forced their capitulation. My last vassal was China, who volunteered shortly after the Mongols collapsed and then all the independent troops headed for Beijing. China became an awesome vassal, supplying all the missing resources that Russia doesn't normally get access to.

Over the last 300 years, there wasn't much to do other than avoid accidental victories other than historical. My focus was so much on avoiding a domination win that I nearly won a cultural victory by mistake right at the end. Constantinople was about to become my third legendary city and trigger cultural victory in just one more turn.

Spoiler :

Future Tech 36 in 1950... That's just insane! You should try to beat Usi with his Japanese Victory in 1680, maybe you can do it even better!

I had forgotten how many barbarians can be generated in the 3000BC start. In this game as Russia, I flipped 10 horse archers on my spawn. France had a stack of 6 Horse Archers and Spain had a stack of 16 Axemen.

Starting situation was Germany, France, England, Spain and Vikings in Europe, with barbarian Rome, Athens and everything else in Europe (including Constantinople) razed. Rome had Apostolic Palace, Moai Statues and was Christian holy city. China had collapsed and India and Japan were strong.

Used my free victories over the barbs to take Rome straight away. Capitulated Germany after razing everything west of and including Berlin. Settled Krakow, Split and Constantinople and filled out European Russia to reach 10 cities.

Germany eventually collapsed, at about the time that I reached the New World. Capitulated Aztec and got voluntary vassal from Inca. Persia respawned and voluntarily vassalised also, and my last vassal was Mongolia, who had most of the Chinese resources until the 1940s when China respawned. Spent most of the last 300 years trying to improve the situation for my vassals without triggering a Domination victory. Spain kept declaring war, which was handy because it allowed me to liberate their South American cities to my Incan vassal.

Spoiler :

Great! I usually play the complete released versions that are basically bug free. Current one is 1.9 as you probably know by now.

I had to settle a couple of extra cities (beyond 10) over the last 300 years to keep my economy from stagnating and to recover from post-golden age slump. I mistakenly used a bunch of saved Great People (I eventually got a full set) somewhere over the last 300 years plus the Triumphal Arch golden age, together I took a hit that dropped me from Stable/Shaky to Unstable a couple of time - including right at the end.

For the 3000BC start, I learned my lesson and used all my Great People before the Triumphal Arch was built, then settled any additional Great People in cities rather than use for another Golden Age.

Top Bottom