Changes not documented (or obvious) in patch notes

i think they could do with a bit of a rework like england got.
'rework' pffft
Do you know how hard it is to go off continent with loyalty? That was a big nerf in R&F. Now they swap out a Museum (England was and is massive in archaeology) which was quite good for what? +2 for some things in cities when eventually powered when they are already +20/30 in the city?
swap a troop for a ship... really? The very rare trade route is a small concession but the double gold for sea trade routes is good however the cost of coastal defences offsets this.... at least you said rework rather than buff but I do not feel it was positive or made the civ more interesting to play... +3 iron rather than +2 is also a small thing.

I have mixed feelings about England.

I thought it was interesting in the last livestream that they described England as being reworked to be a flagship for the industrial era mechanics. See, that’s the Problem. England’s UA now plugs into various mechanics that ... well, aren’t that impactful. ME just aren’t that useful. And power doesn’t matter if you’re playing fast. And settling on other continents just ain’t worth the effort.

At the same time, and particularly given FXS’s first GS live-streams featured England, I think FXS did make a serious attempt to revamp England.

It’ll be interesting to see where things end up after a few patches. If the game ever slows down, or power, infrastructure and hammers get more important, England will get better. And, dear me, if the RND movement bug ever gets fixed ... that really would be something.

I was also thinking about how much of England’s “shtick” has been recycled for other Civs. Zulu got Pax B. Sweden got British Museum. Netherlands and Indonesia basically got England’s Civ V Ship of the Line. England now isn’t even the only Civ with a Unique Harbour. Thing is, all those Civs actually do England’s ability better (by that I mean, they use the ability in a more interesting way).

I hated RnF England. Just hated it. England are weaker in GS than RnF, and are sort of more vanilla or plain or ... prosaic ... but are also more playable. They’re sort of a blank Civ with a few roleplaying bonuses... and I’m sort of okay with that. I like playing with the core mechanics, so Civs that don’t modify those much are my favourites. They’re now basically a Civ with a half price district and one or two free trade routes. Yeah, I can work with that.

I’d like England to have a touch more spice. I think the RND in particular could use a buff. Poor Eleanor of England. Kind of amazing WotW doesn’t buff factories ... although, I guess that’s what the power buff does. Anyways. Whatever. Thing is, I also feel like it was very nice of FXS to rework them already, and they did do a pretty okay job all in all, so I should probably pull my head in. Or just mod what I want.

...and I should probably leave this topic alone. I’m clearly a tragic. Looking forward to playing some Ottomans. And seeing if Rome have been nerfed enough to be fun playing.

Last edited:
One undocumented feature is a doozy: by default, mountain and desert names are turned off! I encourage everyone to turn them on. They add so much!
Noticed that the deserts and mountain ranges in my game are not named. But I'm unable to find any option to enable it in the game options. Can you please tell me where I can find these settings?

Yes, the Mountie is best thought of as a reusable Naturalist who can be bought with gold rather than faith...

Only get 1 park out of each one, so don't build an army direct (oops).
I used'em to spot incoming religious fanatics. Then I could move my righteous ones into position.
(have to let them take a shot at a city first though, phooey)

Hansa does get benefits from sea resources, IZ for Canada does not. (least not in my game)

If it hasn't been mentioned yet...

The Civilopedia starts with each topic limited to the header (rather than expanded out to sub categories); and stays how you leave it!
Fantastic :love:

The Civilopedia starts with each topic limited to the header (rather than expanded out to sub categories); and stays how you leave it!
Fantastic :love:
Yes, fabulous little change.

Also, when you have a governor title available, there's now a little star on the governor button to remind you. I don't know how many times I've clicked through the notification, meaning to go back and figure out what to do, and then forgotten to use the title.

And for the record, I like the change to the build list where it remembers where you were last. But I can see how others might not like it. Like the build queue behavior, it should be a toggle so everyone can set it as they like.

Also, when you have a governor title available, there's now a little star on the governor button to remind you. I don't know how many times I've clicked through the notification, meaning to go back and figure out what to do, and then forgotten to use the title.

And for the record, I like the change to the build list where it remembers where you were last. But I can see how others might not like it. Like the build queue behavior, it should be a toggle so everyone can set it as they like.

Yeah, the governor reminder is nice, although even with that, I've gone a couple turns forgetting to assign them. They should have one for unused envoys too - while I like to save up one or two envoys for emergency use, I know I've told myself, "I'm gonna throw that point in Lisbon next turn assuming nothing else comes up", and then 4 turns later I'm like, "Hey, why am I not allied with Lisbon?"

Is anyone else having a scrolling issue on the "title page" though? I'm not at home to look at it right now, but the very first thing on the list ("What's new in Gathering Storm" or something like that) is chopped in half.

Did they change Big Ben? I could have swore it doubled your treasury. Now it only increases your treasury by 50%. I had over 13k gold, I'm certain of it. And I ended up with only a bit over 20k gold.

Did they change Big Ben? I could have swore it doubled your treasury. Now it only increases your treasury by 50%. I had over 13k gold, I'm certain of it. And I ended up with only a bit over 20k gold.

Yeah it changed. From the wiki:

upload_2019-2-18_15-33-7.png

I notice that I can see what my allies are building in their cities.
Was that always the case? I can't remember at which level alliance this becomes possible. Of note: My access level is "Top Secret" with them.

I notice that I can see what my allies are building in their cities.
Was that always the case? I can't remember at which level alliance this becomes possible. Of note: My access level is "Top Secret" with them.

Yes

If you click on an AI and bring up negotiations, there is a tab that tells you what you will see at every incremental access level with top secret being the best including victory conditions, buildings etc

If Score victory is turned off, you cannot see a list of scores (at least not the normal way).

Top Bottom