1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing American Demographics

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Norseone, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Norseone

Norseone Emperor

You thought I was goona talk about hispanics didnt you? No, I wanna talk about this article. http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1834402,00.html

The other day I was driving in a rural area near my home, and suddenly I saw what appeared to be a horse and buggy. I went home to make sure I wasnt having some kind of halloucination and found out from my parents that yes, some Amish families had just moved into my area. Then, today I just saw this article. So, the amish population (almost) doubles every 16 years. That means in 100 years the amish population will be into the 10s of millions

But seriously, are there any other religious groups that are still growing this fast in the developed world. I know abotu the amish and the FLDS.

2. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

I support more German speaking people in the United States.

3. Norseone

Norseone Emperor

Do you support me taking German 1 this semester in college?

4. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

I support everyone taking German, everywhere.

Even if you live in Nigeria.

5. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

The FLDS population growth isn't all that statistically significant I think, at least not when compared to that of the regular LDS church. I think LDS membership in America increases by about half a million or so each year.

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I read this article earlier, and found it strange that they called them a "religious group".

7. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Deity

They have really dirty feet, and can sometimes smell a little. But overall they're good people.

8. Norseone

Norseone Emperor

well in pure numbers its not signifigant...but if they dont start getting higher drop out rates it will be fairly soon. They are what 20,000 strong? I recall reading that well over half of FLDS members are under 18. if they keep up that it could become very large, not that I think they will. They probably have a relatively high drop out rate that will slow their growth.

9. Aramazd

Aramazd Deity

So are politicians going to start pandering to Amish voters now?

10. RalofTyr

RalofTyr King

11. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Good thing the Republicans offended all the Hispanics with the failure of immigration reform :p

12. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Take a greyhound through Cleveland if you want to practice your German. For whatever reason, there's always been Amish people when I've passed through the station (oh and it's a beautiful example of Art Deco too btw!).

It's the only place I've had a conversation in (broken) German outside Europe.

13. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

I've ridden a greyhound on the way to New Orleans in 2005. Sorry to say that probably most of the people I saw on that bus didn't make it to 2006. They were in very bad shape.