Chewing gum while walking.

rah

Deity
Supporter
In another thread, I attempted to make fun of the younger generation by mentioning how many of them are getting injured using their cell phone while walking. I was soundly rebuked by many saying that since that would be a problem for Older folks that younger people could handle it.

This morning on the news I heard this report.
Cell phones are a literal pain in the neck — and face, eyes, nose, ears and head. A new study analyzing national emergency room data shows injuries to those areas of our bodies have risen “steeply” over the last 20 years.

The study found most injuries occurred to people between the ages of 13 and 29 and were due to distracted driving, walking and texting with a cell phone.

Cuts to the face and head were the most common injuries, followed by contusions — bruising of the brain — abrasions and internal organ injuries. Most people were treated and released instead of hospitalized. While these injuries may not appear to be of major concern, the study said, there can be long-term consequences.

“Facial lacerations and subsequent scarring can lead to anxiety and lowered self-esteem,” the authors wrote, especially when infection occurs, which can increase the need for scar revision and other cosmetic surgery. Repairing facial lacerations costs the United States health care system approximately $3 billion a year.

The authors say the study, published Monday in the journal JAMA, was the first to explore injuries to the head and neck area instead of the entire body. They found injuries to be infrequent until 2007 — when Apple introduced the first iPhone — but then rose dramatically.

“Although mobile telephones were gaining popularity prior to that time point,” the authors wrote, “their functions were limited and they were therefore less likely to be major distractions when compared to modern-day smartphones.”

The study found injuries to children 13 and younger were more likely to be due to direct mechanical injury from the cell phone. Authors point out that today’s cellphones can be of “substantial size and weight” and can easily injure a small children who are “unintentionally struck by or against” the phone.

More than injuries
Prior studies have shown that just the use of a cell phone can damage necks and upper backs.

That’s because for every inch that you tilt your head forward from a neutral position, the pressure on your spine doubles. So if you’re looking at a smartphone in your lap, your neck could experience 20 or 30 pounds of pressure.

All that extra pressure puts a strain on your spine and can pull it out of alignment. Dr. Tom DiAngelis, former president of the American Physical Therapy Association’s Private Practice Section, told CNN previously that it was like bending your finger back all the way and holding it there for an hour.

“As you stretch the tissue for a long period of time, it gets sore, it gets inflamed,” DiAngelis said. “The real question … is: ‘What are the long term effects going to be?’ ”

Cell phone distraction-related deaths are on the rise as well. The National Safety Council found 2,841 people died in distraction-affected crashes in 2018. And the Governors Highway Safety Association estimated there were more than 6,000 pedestrian deaths in 2018, the highest number in more than 20 years.

https://ktla.com/2019/12/05/walking...njuries,abrasions and internal organ injuries.

Now granted this is just one survey and I haven't reviewed their methodology but since it seems to match my observations, I'm willing to believe it's credible.
I plan on forwarding this on to my daughter who does this frequently.

Maybe the younger generation isn't as good at chewing gum while they walk as they think they are.
Let the generational insults begin. :p

Punk teenagers can't do nothin' right!

The news story I saw showed a kid walking straight into a light post. But I guess it's better to do it walking than driving.

The real danger is dropping your phone on your face while in bed
As someone who doesn’t use a case I cannot allow myself any such errors.

I once dropped my phone on my hand. That was more painful that it should have been.

I don't understand people who walk around with cell phones though. How do they not trip on the ground and fall over?

Yeah, I would never consider reading a book while walking down the street. I consider browsing on a phone even worse.
I really can't understand why people think it's OK to do while driving. I see someone doing it every time I'm out driving.

I've had to physically take away my mother's cell phone because she insisted on checking it while driving. I threatened to throw it out the window if she did it again. It hasn't happened since.

Good for you.

I wonder if contact lenses or glasses with integrated phone screens will make us more or less distracted. On the one hand, freeing our faces from looking down at our hands would be a big improvement as far as spacial awareness. On the other hand, easier access to the information guarantees it will be accessed more so we can expect higher levels of distraction. :dunno:

" I am here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ! , and I'm all out of gum ...." :lol:

Applying autonomous car software to our phones might help solve the problem. Beeps, buzzes, and pings could alert the distracted. Real time phone interaction that could perhaps stop us in our tracks.

Applying autonomous car software to our phones might help solve the problem. Beeps, buzzes, and pings could alert the distracted. Real time phone interaction that could perhaps stop us in our tracks.

Or not and just let natural selection do its thing...

Or not and just let natural selection do its thing...

Unfortunately the forces of natural selection are somewhat split in their usefulness. For every "just as well you stupid jerk" you usually lose at least one "so I was just walking along and this idiot driving with their phone in their hand..."

On the other hand, older people are much more likely to be scammed than millennials.

No, that guy on the phone with the Russian accent isn't really your nameless grandson who needs you to quickly wire him $3000 so he can get home. No, the police aren't going to come arrest you right now if you don't pay your sudden mysterious IRS debt with iTunes gift cards to that guy on the phone speaking broken english.

You also don't need to burn or pay to have your junk mail shredded.

Top Bottom