1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Chick flicks you actually enjoy watching.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by classical_hero, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

Chicken Run.

2. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Easy A was pretty cool.

genres blend together, so a strict chick-flick definition is gonna be tricky. For example, Easy A and several others are more 'coming of age' tales than anything romantic, so a genre-based qualification alone just won't do, though the generalizations are, of course, easy.

I agree with the earlier suggestion by warpus and wiki.

3. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Do Buffy and Angel count? I love them.

4. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

A lot of them, really. More than I care to admit, but not as enough to make it a thing.

5. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

The only reason I watch that movie is for the scene of her singing, "Baby, It's Cold Outside". :lol:

I remember enjoying the music of The Notebook. I don't know that I've seen many movies that qualify as a chick flick, but I am partial to romantic comedies if they have a lead I like -- I've seen The Lakehouse several times, for instance, but I first watched it because of Sandra Bullock. She's also the reason I watched Sleepless in Seattle.

6. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

She's probably the best thing in Sleepless in Seattle.

7. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Sleepless in Seattle was Meg Ryan, not Sandra Bullock. Don't feel bad, though, I totally botched another Meg Ryan film earlier... Still, though, terrible movie.

8. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

I guess I haven't really seen many chick flicks. Or, at least, ones that are particularly worth noting.

best romcom is romantics anonymous though. As a 'murican, I feel saying "french rom com" would make some call it a chick flick, even if it isn't really. Same with amelie.

9. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

Oh, right! I always get that and While You Were Sleeping mixed up.

10. Paul in Saudi

Paul in Saudi Emperor

I hope I did not already post this, I am a big fan of Roxane with Steve Martin and Dara Hanna.

11. SoupJuice

SoupJuice Warlord

Movies that have been mentioned here that are mentionable again:

Heathers - More of a teenager flick than directed at girls, but it is a pretty intense film with great writing and characters (not necessary morally/ethically good but interesting).

Mean Girls - directed by Heathers writer's brother, the Heathers 2.0 for kids born in the 90's and later. Tina Fey is magic, and so is the rest of the SNL cast involved and even Lohan is always great to see in her "golden age" [maybe she'll have a platinum age...]

The Notebook - I haven't seen this because I remember being at the theatre waiting in line for other films to be seated and seeing viewers being let out of Notebook screenings all sobby and soaked with tears. I'll experience it one day but not today or tomorrow.

Romancing the Stone - a movie that was often rented in the "7 movies for 7 days for 7 dollars" rental situation. I only saw it as a child and doubt I picked up on what was going on - I remember a lot of action and Kathleen Turner's voice

10 Things I Hate About You - Alex Mack loses her powers and Heath Ledger's character is Australian isn't he? Not often you hear his real voice.

Easy A - Emma Stone is a cute lil comedienne and I enjoy her singing Natasha Bedingfield ad nauseam via a greeting card. I remember being entertained - and Phoebe is there.

"Don't recall name, Portman gave birth in Wal-Mart" - that'd be Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - I think Plinkett explained Star Wars better than I can

Enchanted - a live action Disney-princess movie. Good acting by the squirrel.

Movies-aimed-at-a-female-demographic that I enjoy:

Get Over It - Martin Short steals scenes left and right while students put on a Shakespeare musical

Never Been Kissed - Drew Barrymore is awkward and it has John C. Reilly being a mean boss, not sure what else a movie requires - and Molly Shannon is funny (she should've been in Mean Girls somewhere)

Saved! - Macaulay Culkin is back (in a wheelchair!) and Mandy Moore is suddenly in movies, and everything is blasphemous

12. Darth Caesar

Darth Caesar Might be a Wizard

I love the 2005 Pride and Prejudice
    And When Harry Met Sally is an absolute classic.

13. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Is The Thomas Crown Affair a chick flick?

Sabrina

Just about any Tom Hanks movie is a chick flick and also watchable.

J

14. Goodfella

Goodfella Showing results for

I like Mean Girls.

15. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

If you don't have any feelings then you won't get a chick, which is why seeing such films is needed. Not every film aimed at women won't b boring for men to watch.

16. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

Does Roxanne even count? It's a modernized Cyrano de Bergerac. Still a great movie nonetheless.

17. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I'd classify it as a caper film. It'd only be a chick flick of the Thomas Crown character was female, being hunted by a hunky insurance investigator.

18. Mount Suribachi

Mount Suribachi Warlord

I really enjoyed Hitch.

Not sure how much of that is due to Eva Mendes wearing tight dresses mind, but I did enjoy it.

19. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I have a weak spot for chick flicks. I'd vote for a lot of the above [including anything with Zooey in it. e.g. The Tin Man and also:

American President
    French Kiss
    Only You
    One Fine Day
    Fools Rush In
    Gone With the Wind
    Bringing Up Baby
    The King & I
    Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
    Aquamarine
    My Super Ex-Girlfriend
    The Truth about Cats & Dogs
    except for the ending
    On Golden Pond
    My Best Friend's Wedding
    Postcards from the Edge
    While You Were Sleeping
    The Color Purple

20. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

10 Things I Hate About You was good too. I enjoyed that. It's sort of like Taming of the Shrew, only better. I also like Clueless, which was sort of like Emma, but funnier.

I'm pretty sure I only like these films because the female lead is super sexy.

EDIT: Actually I genuinely liked 500 Days of Summer, and would have enjoyed it even if Zoey Deschanel wasn't outrageously fit. That was a really good film. I think what you have to realise with that film is that, IMO, you're supposed to hate the male character. He is obnoxious and clearly doesn't understand Summer. You're seeing the entire film through his eyes -- and Summer appears one dimensional, shallow, and nothing but a sum of her good looks and shared interests. You're supposed to hate the male character because he really doesn't see her for a whole entire complete human being. I think as the film goes on, you stop feeling any sympathy towards him (Tom? was that his name?) cos you realise he's a pretentious, arrogant, condescending dick. Anyway, it was a good film, and I really enjoyed it.