Chick flicks you actually enjoy watching.

Easy a is a chick flick?

Is mean girls?

I say no.

I tried to think of how i'd define a chick flick but i can't. It has to be empirically derived whether it is chick flicky or not

my understanding of a chick flick is that you have a hunky male lead (10 things) or a predominately female cast (easy a). the content of the movie is less important but it's definitely about relationships/romance in some sort of educational context.

'her' isn't a chick flick as much as a subversion of the chick flick.

First Wives Club
Ever After
Some Kind Of Wonderful
Sixteen Candles
The Notebook (funny, i mentioned that in a thread earlier)
Tristan & Isolde
Don't recall name, Portman gave birth in Wal-Mart.
Fried Green Tomatoes that Loppan listed was great. Not sure i'd callit a chick flick...
Kate & Leopold

Basically I like chick flicks overall. Oh, I don't give two craps if the phrase is found offensive by anyone.

Oh, I did like Where the Heart Is. Forgot about that one.

I quite like chick flicks, e.g. mean girls, anything with kirsten dunst in it, bridget jones. I like Rom Coms too, e.g. 500 days of summer, annie hall. I like "coming of age" films/high school dramas, e.g. breakfast club. A lot of the stuff i like seems totally hipster now though...

IHow can a movie with Hugh Grant, some young actress, and New York City be judged as a chick flick using the film's poster alone but then suddenly not be a chick flick when the movie turns out to be actually good?

Because there is no way that a poster with Hugh Grant and Gwyneth Paltrow sitting laughing on a park bench with a white background and big blue letters above them proclaiming the movie name "Flirting" or "Sometimes" or "First Dates" or something is going to be good. No way. You just know it is going to suck, instinctively.

If Enchanted is a chick flick movie primarily targeted toward a female viewing audience, I liked that.

If Enchanted is a chick flick movie primarily targeted toward a female viewing audience, I liked that.

Not sure if that puts you in chick flick, MLP, or a grey territory.

Google image search reveals no park bench with white background posters, so it could still be good...

Oh cripes, you said Hugh Grant. My brain read it as Hugh Jackman. We're good. Oh, and yeah, I read G.P. as Meg Ryan too... :hide:

Okay fine, it's been awhile since I saw it, but it had a bench scene!

I hate knowing that I actually like the movie Love, Actually. It's brought me to tears even after several viewings. The movie just *works*.

An example of a click flick I hate: 500 days of summer. I don't care about either of the characters in any way, it's a total waste of my time that is better spent reading old bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com posts.

I hate knowing that I actually like the movie Love, Actually. It's brought me to tears even after several viewings. The movie just *works*.

An example of a click flick I hate: 500 days of summer. I don't care about either of the characters in any way, it's a total waste of my time that is better spent reading old bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com posts.

I don't think 500 Days was really supposed to fit that category. The whole thing was a deconstruction and was pretty depressing tbh, with an ending that may or may not be good depending how you look at it.

One I cannot stand is Sleepless In Seattle. Woman flies cross country to betray fiance. Woo, how romantic.

Oh cripes, you said Hugh Grant. My brain read it as Hugh Jackman. We're good. Oh, and yeah, I read G.P. as Meg Ryan too... :hide:

Okay fine, it's been awhile since I saw it, but it had a bench scene!

It's movie posters do suffer, however, from the "2 Giant Heads" romcom cliche, a disturbing cousin of the "park bench" cliche poster.

I liked Maid in Manhattan. It was cute and sweet.

Easy A is a literary masterpiece. I've you've not seen it because of testosterone, you'll really missing out. It was kinda awesome.

Re: 500 days

But...but...Zooey is in it :(

Dont care if a real life version of any of her characters would be annoying as anything

Can't stand her. She ruined Elf, which without her character would have been one of my all-time favorite Xmas movies. But with her in it I won't watch any scenes that involve her.

Top Bottom