China overtook the US as Biggest Economy in 2010

Marla_Singer

United in diversity
China Overtakes U.S. as Biggest Economy When Measured by Purchasing Power
Bloomberg News - Jan 14, 2011

China overtook the U.S. last year as the world’s biggest economy when measured in terms of purchasing power, according to Arvind Subramanian, senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington.

The size of China’s economy in 2010 was $14.8 trillion, compared with the U.S.’s $14.6 trillion, when accounting for the countries’ differing costs of living, Subramanian wrote in a note published yesterday, a week before President Hu Jintao visits Washington. So-called purchasing power parity calculates gross domestic product using exchange rates that adjusts for price differences of the same goods between nations.

[...]

Subramanian said his calculations are based on new estimates of GDP that will soon be published by the Penn World Tables, which correct biases in previous estimates by the International Comparison of Prices project and the World Bank that underestimated China’s purchasing power. » full story

Your thoughts ?

You forget to sacrifice one ungulate to Angelina Jolie and the whole world-order is thrown off balance. :mad:

Marla

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=406990&highlight=china+gdp

That's one.

One big problem I have, in all seriousness, is that no one really knows what the heck China's GDP actually is, because their government-released data has been proven faulty. And I am not talking about a percentage or two. We may be talking 25% upwardly biased. I think its a foregone conclusion China will overtake the US in GDP @ some point in our lives, but the data China produces is not reliable so any study must make assumptions that are likely not going to be actually true. Or they fudge the data in some way that really, they can't justify in the end.

(I have similar reasons to not like using U6, for instance. At least I am consistent in my disdain for badly measured metrics)

Penn World Tables?

Never heard of them.

PPP is good for measuring the QoL of a nation's citizens, but nominal terms is better for measuring different economies against one another, because goods are bought at nominal terms in the global marketplace.

There are 4 of them for each one of us.

Thats great, but if your going to count the total number of people, you have to count the actual total GDP, in which China is still far behind the US.

In total GDP, the US still trumps China and in GDP per capita we still trump them. Even if you multiply their GDP per capita by 4, we still trump them in that.

This is just some BS number they made up.

I'm not worried about China. Just because they are inevitably going to become powerful doesnt mean the rest of the world is doomed.

Why does it matter if China is doing well. If companies can't manufacture their junk there cheaply they will move to another third world country. Maybe an African country who knows?

According to the World Bank, and its World Development Indicators, this is not true. The gross domestic product (GDP) of the US was nearly three times that on China in the last year that they published figures for (2009). You can check this for yourself here:

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&tdim=true&dl=en&hl=en&q=gdp+world#met=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:USA:CHN

So it depends on whom you want to believe: the World Bank, or some guy at the Peterson Institute.

The article is not about nominal GDP

No, the article isn't

However, my point that the article is garbage b/c we know verifiably that official chinese macroeconomic statistics are garbage (ie unreliable)

I'm not worried about China. Just because they are inevitably going to become powerful doesnt mean the rest of the world is doomed.

Why does it matter if China is doing well. If companies can't manufacture their junk there cheaply they will move to another third world country. Maybe an African country who knows?

You're the only one here implying that China becoming the economic top dog could be a bad thing...

(I have similar reasons to not like using U6, for instance. At least I am consistent in my disdain for badly measured metrics)
Well put, good sir. :lol:

You're the only one here implying that China becoming the economic top dog could be a bad thing...
It is rather inevitable. USA #1 and all that.

It is rather inevitable. USA #1 and all that.
Xanikk's actually treasonous as far as that goes, openly stating he wants to move to someplace "civilized", like Europe, presumably because he hasn't actually been there.

Perhaps he's not that bothered by a big brother who actually is watching you in many cases. Where free speech means being able to say things that aren't very controversial and which are generally acceptable to the local standards.

It doesn't matter what country is on top, as long as people are benefiting from it.

Top Bottom