Choose-A-NES! (Vote for the next Alternate History AmenNES)

Pick the NES!

• Pax Denied

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • The Dragon Awakens

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Rome Reborn

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • For God, Allah, and Glory

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other (Please, please, please, [i]please[/i] specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
North King said:
Rome being defeated means everything changes, Samnium, even if it did build a empire that big, was a far different culture.

no it wasnt; Roem melded all the cultures of italy into one all inclusive whole- read the national geographic from this month, it has a HUGE article about the entire thing- while samnite, and Roman culture are not exactley one in the same; they are very very similer- alogn the sime lines as say Athenian and Spartans- seperate entites within the same whole

North King said:
Only Samnium was fully against the Romans? :lol: Once their agressive intent was known, a heck of alot more then just samnium joined, I imagine.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: obviouslly, we're talkign about the social wars here, because no other conflict even comes close to what your talkign about, unless you havebeen so desperate to grub up enmies for both Rome and samnium, you have tried to include thie rentire historicle roll-call, even if that is the case, the Romans often had a distinct advantage

Umm... No... Few of them made real forays into roman territory... Unless you'd like to dig up some evidence backing those claims, since I recall that few if any actually attacked Rome as the start of war.
state sof war dont matter- we woudl liek it if mexico sent raiding parties intot he US, woudl we, even if ti was an "act fo war" by the mexican government, we would demand the mexico do somthing- if they refuse, then obviouslly enough, we woudl force the raidnign to stop by using our own military action- the same goes for the Roman state; just because the government(s) of the area were not the direct cause of said strikes, did not mean they were unapposed to them, or aided in the ceasation- those that did aide Rome were, obviouslly enough, left alone, those that didnt- were conqoured or expelled form thier former territory

Oh, and Egypt pretty much stayed out until Mouisser Anthony practically forced them in, and while they did step in at long last, this was directly after Octavian started portraying Cleo as a demon witch bent on destroying Rome.

A)egypt an roman politics had intertwined since well before ceasar, as th eparthians, obviouslly enough, were an enemy to both

B)you forget Caesar, and his own escapades up the nile, which truelly brough in egypt to rome stage

C)perhaps you forget Caesar and cleopatras son, Caesarion,. who cleop[atra claimed as the rightful heir of ceasar, and thus the dictatorship? oh yes, that was a rather major mistake on egypts part, which cemeted Roman animosity, because it became crystal clear she was attemtpign to expert her forign influcen on Rome political structure

D)dont forget, Anthony and Celopatra were co-conspitiors one was just as guilty as the other- perhaps even more so in celopatras case

In this timeline, Rome has been defeated. That means everyone else is going to act differently, because politics and culture are interdependent. You can't just take out a chunk and act like everyone is going to be the same as it was with history.

And stop it with the political argument. Only governments have the ability to justify their actions, no matter how poor the choice. BTW Xen, that's like saying since Mexico can't stop illegal immigration America should outright annex them so there won't be anymore illegal immigrants! :lol: Those that aided Rome were absorbed into Rome. It's just silly to think that by aiding an aggressive expansionistic empire that they're going to leave you alone, especially when you're right on their borders.

blackheart said:
In this timeline, Rome has been defeated. That means everyone else is going to act differently, because politics and culture are interdependent. You can't just take out a chunk and act like everyone is going to be the same as it was with history.[.quote]
happend often enough; let suse greece as our example how many federations, and confederations, and single power city states were thier through Greek history- how many glroius rises, might nations, and huge failign were there? many, many, many of them- and yet the city states ocntinues to act in essentially the same way they always had, based more on local cultural and traditions then political need.

that said, most of pretenses have already been deicdeed- forinstance, what effect do the samnite wars have on Carthage? None, noen whatso ever- Carthage and Rome dont really have any influnce on eachother until the punic wars, which dont happen- so carthage is clear to keep alogn the merry way it always had been on; as far as italy goes, no one can denmy the lack of Rome woudl leave a power vaccume, and that, liek in all vaccumes, if somethign exists to fill it, it will be filled- th emost logical conclusion is that it woudl be the etruscans or smanites, as they were the other powers in dominat positions in the region

And stop it with the political argument. Only governments have the ability to justify their actions, no matter how poor the choice.
BTW Xen, that's like saying since Mexico can't stop illegal immigration America should outright annex them so there won't be anymore illegal immigrants!
one must remember, I'm not entirelly opposed to that ;) though, if we want to get into moder politics, the mexicans should (in theory) take control over thie rborders, and help stop illiegle immigration; but they dont, and fact is, we dont want the, too; our country is runon illigle immigrent labour.

that said, the argument still counts; if your nation has some rowdy muckers in who insist on raidng my border, I'm goign to inist that you put a stop to it- if you dont, then, if its in my power, i will take control of the situation, and make them stop; Rome saw full out conquest, consolodation, and bestowing of Roman priviledges as its answer to the problem

Those that aided Rome were absorbed into Rome. It's just silly to think that by aiding an aggressive expansionistic empire that they're going to leave you alone, especially when you're right on their borders.
dpends on what you mean; german tribes aided the empiure al the time, but wer enever annexed; ditto for the danube, it was only when the dacians presented a formidible threat did Roe begin its march of conquest; you must akso remember that Roman citizenship was coveted- even St. Peter was proud of his citizenship, and he was amoung the people who woudl have th ebiggest reason to loth it, and all it stood for; thiers a reason that during th ebeginning sof the darkages, barbarian tribes appealed to Rome to settl ein thier territory- its becaus elife was good in the Roman empire, and its people, its citizens, enjoyed life- many times allies willinglyl became parts of the empire- take a look at Pergamum- a city who was arguabll, the dominat power in anatolia, could have remained an indipendent Roman ally; when its king died, he seeded it to Rome

Xen said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: obviouslly, we're talkign about the social wars here, because no other conflict even comes close to what your talkign about, unless you havebeen so desperate to grub up enmies for both Rome and samnium, you have tried to include thie rentire historicle roll-call, even if that is the case, the Romans often had a distinct advantage

Samnites had other advantages too...

state sof war dont matter- we woudl liek it if mexico sent raiding parties intot he US, woudl we, even if ti was an "act fo war" by the mexican government, we would demand the mexico do somthing- if they refuse, then obviouslly enough, we woudl force the raidnign to stop by using our own military action- the same goes for the Roman state; just because the government(s) of the area were not the direct cause of said strikes, did not mean they were unapposed to them, or aided in the ceasation- those that did aide Rome were, obviouslly enough, left alone, those that didnt- were conqoured or expelled form thier former territory

That's not really comparable, considering the USA isn't doing everything it can to push Mexico into annexation.

A)egypt an roman politics had intertwined since well before ceasar, as th eparthians, obviouslly enough, were an enemy to both

However, Cleopatra stayed out of the mess until dragged in.

B)you forget Caesar, and his own escapades up the nile, which truelly brough in egypt to rome stage

That's hardly interveining in the civil war. :lol:

C)perhaps you forget Caesar and cleopatras son, Caesarion,. who cleop[atra claimed as the rightful heir of ceasar, and thus the dictatorship? oh yes, that was a rather major mistake on egypts part, which cemeted Roman animosity, because it became crystal clear she was attemtpign to expert her forign influcen on Rome political structure

She never claimed that, who's your source, Octavian? :rolleyes:

At best the way she wanted to get back in was through Mark Anthony, but she waited until conserderably late even to make THAT leap (though they were intimate before then, I believe)...

D)dont forget, Anthony and Celopatra were co-conspitiors one was just as guilty as the other- perhaps even more so in celopatras case

No they weren't. Cleo hardly plotted MArk Anthony's claim to Emperorship (which was much more concrete until the Parthian debalcle, which could easily have gone differently).

Come on, lets go! Someone else has to be left to vote for Dragon Awakening....

North King said:
Samnites had other advantages too...
explain

That's not really comparable, considering the USA isn't doing everything it can to push Mexico into annexation.
nor did Rome push every one around it into annexation; many of Romes wars, such as the Numidian wars, were completelly unwanted by Rome

However, Cleopatra stayed out of the mess until dragged in.
she did- her forefathers didnt, and eventually Rome got the upperhand, and egypt was forced into cheap grain shipment sto pay off debts to Rome; reason enough for egyptians to interfere in Roman politics, or at least try, i suspect.

That's hardly interveining in the civil war. :lol:
A)I didnt say that interfered in the civil war
B)it still was still interfereing; even if one might say that it was big C who was doing the hard work ;)

She never claimed that, who's your source, Octavian? :rolleyes:
no, cleopatra- she claimed him to be the only legale heir of caesar;
http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/chronology/ptolemyxv.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesarion

At best the way she wanted to get back in was through Mark Anthony, but she waited until conserderably late even to make THAT leap (though they were intimate before then, I believe)...
A)no, shes not innocent- it was the egyptian navy that was used in the med sea, it was the egyptian army the formed the real (if crappy) core of the forces- the Romans wer emerelly an upper crust, and almost all of them switched sides ot Octavian by the end of it, because they were first hand witnesses of what was going on

B)obviouslly, her plan was to garner at least nominal control over rome by having her son- the son of caesar- as the only legale heair to him, and thus the big man in Rome- meanign that she coudl wage very effective control over Roman politics- or perhaps you thought that the vast hatred of cleopatra was ungarnerd?

No they weren't. Cleo hardly plotted MArk Anthony's claim to Emperorship (which was much more concrete until the Parthian debalcle, which could easily have gone differently).[/QUOTE]

*ignores everything Xen says because of how hard it is to read*

Sadly (from my POV) the polls seem to be in favor of denying the Pax. Fair enough, even though I'm afraid Amen will limit it to Mediterranean only. I propose that Amen starts it briefly after the end of the Samnite Wars, so that we can see how it will work out.

Btw, in the Russian althist forum I currently frequent, there was discussion on the topic of an Etruscan Rome (as in, Tarquinius is much different and remains in power). So far, Rome already turned into some Aztecoassyrian civilization which fights to capture gladiators (and to slaughter those who don't appease their gods). Very interesting, though I doubt Xen will agree with it.

All right, guys. I think I'm gonna go against the (narrow) majority here and decide to do "For God, Allah, and Glory". I already have a map (let's all give a big hand to das for that one.:clap: ), and I'll begin drafting rules. Although I'll need some ideas for rules. What units should the nations have around this time?

Omg! For God, Allah and Glory! *cheers*

Reserve me a spot as the big pink blob if reservations are allowed.

Units: Simple arquebuses (If guns are discovered)
Caravels/Carracks for ships
Simple bombards
Pikemen (Tons and TONS of pikemen)
Roundishiers(sp?) (armored infantry with a round sheild and short sword)
Light horsemen (for Arabian/central asian civs mostly)
Fully armored Knights (starting to die out)
Crossbowmen

etc,etc.

Perhaps das, being the creator of this AltHist Universe, should be the one who gives most ideas for units..?

Amenhotep7 said:
All right, guys. I think I'm gonna go against the (narrow) majority here and decide to do "For God, Allah, and Glory".

save me a spot

Alex has already reserved China, IP is the Almohads (good choice, altho watch yer back, just in case the nations of the world attempt to dogpile your Imperial-self), so go ahead and reserve somthin...

Amenhotep7 said:
Alex has already reserved China, IP is the Almohads (good choice, altho watch yer back, just in case the nations of the world attempt to dogpile your Imperial-self), so go ahead and reserve somthin...

I'll take the templars

I reserve the Kalmar Union.

Time to get isolated, bizatch.

All right, I'll be posting the preview thread today.:)

I'll see... I think I will take Novgorod. I always had a soft spot for that Athens clone. ;)

Unit list... depends on how specific do you need.

The year is 1400 AD, so for you could use stuff from that period. There are early arquebuses and bombards in Europe, somewhat more advanced artillery for the Il-Khanate and the Almohads... HRE is NOT a feudal empire like in OTL, well, not more so then France of 1500 AD - so no "individual armies"... Hmm... For Novgorod and Kiev technology is on "Europe" level, despite Mongol influence. Organization is rather lacking, but there is Boyar cavalry (horse archers/heavy cavalry), druzhini (men-at-arms, essentially) and streltzi (with early gunpowder weapons). But all that is off the top of the hat. I need to see the rules first.

Top Bottom