City States of the World

Opera

Deity
City States of the World

This mod adds a variety of city-states from less represented areas, like Africa and Americas.

Current version: 2
Download: Mod-hub

List of new CSs

Africa
  • Antananarivo (Maritime)
  • Accra (Cultured, should be Maritime? I'd rather use a new culture CS)
  • Khartoum (Militaristic)
  • Zanzibar (Maritime)
  • Ulundi (Militaristic)
  • Addis Abeba (Cultured)
  • Carthage (Maritime)
Americas
  • Cuzco (Militaristic)
  • Tikal (Militaristic)
  • Calakmul (Militaristic)
  • Quebec (Cultured)
  • Buenos Aires (Maritime)
  • Mexico (Cultured)
  • Havanna (Maritime)
Eurasia
  • Riga (Maritime, a personal favorite)
  • Samarkand (Cultured)
  • Davao (Maritime)

Version History
  • v2 (30/09/10); Fixed missing Actions making the mod not work at all;
  • v1 (30/09/10); Original release;

The in-game mod browser is broken for me (never finds any mods), could you please upload a file here ? Thanks ;)

Try the following:
1) Clear your My Games/Civ5/Cache and /MODS folder
2) Remove your config.ini in My Games/Civ5 folder

Tell me if that works.

Try the following:
1) Clear your My Games/Civ5/Cache and /MODS folder
2) Remove your config.ini in My Games/Civ5 folder

Tell me if that works.

No, it doesn't. I still see no mods in the browser.

EDIT: Steam did download something (not sure what, was on 1.0.0.20 before and still am), maybe that fixed it. Maybe me not going with DX9 directly but with the launcher and selecting DX9 there fixed it, in any case this time around I did see mods, finally ;)

Hey Opera, thank you immensely for permitting use of your (awesome) City States in my mod! Due credit will be given ;)
Two quickies:
- Could Antananarivo be associated with any of the major Civs?
- Do they all have Civilopedia entries?

Just looked at them myself for some inspiration (as I have some new city states in my mod and look for others to add), so here are the answers :)

- Could Antananarivo be associated with any of the major Civs?

No, it is the capital of Madagascar

- Do they all have Civilopedia entries?

None do, unfortunately

I'll download this to have Quebec in the game. I love that city (or at least the old, tourist filled areas that I saw. =p)

No, it is the capital of Madagascar

Tamatave might be more appropriate then (like replacing Ulundi for Capetown - imagine the Dutch discovering Capetown... which was founded by them. Similar for the French discovering Quebec...)

Tamatave might be more appropriate then (like replacing Ulundi for Capetown - imagine the Dutch discovering Capetown... which was founded by them. Similar for the French discovering Quebec...)

Antananarivo is ok, it was not founded by any of the civilizations, it already existed before Africa got colonized (and was captured by the French about 270 years after it was founded).

Even if the civilopedia entry is three sentances long, it still makes it look more professional. You just have to type into the XML file, right?

I'm in the process of making pedia entries, planned for v3.

I'm also gonna remove Samarkand to let it be added by zappara's mod since he uploaded his first. I'll be adding some more, like Kiev. Any CS you feel should be in?

Well, since you've asked ;)
ShiroKobbure has offered these suggestions for City States for the Civs I'm missing. This denotes in some ways that some regions of the world (North America, Japan) have almost no City State. And then there's Egypt, Babylon & India, who just deserve some closely related ones :)

His list, just for reference (many are actual full nations, when I'd prefer to keep in the spirit of cities)
Japan:
Ryukyu (Cultured)
Ezo (Militaristic)
I think Korea should maybe belong to China since historically they were a tributary state of China for much of their history. And maybe replace them with Emishi (Militaristic), or Kumaso (Militaristic), or if you want a more modern one, Taiwan (Seafaring).

Egypt:
Punt (Cultured)
Kush (Militaristic)
Israel (Militaristic)

I don't think city-state has to be literal, but I think we can expand it to smaller civs or historical colonies/tributaries.

Others:
Aztecs:
Zapotecs
Mayapan
Toltecs

America:
Pueto Rico
Hawaii
The Philippines

Iroquois:
Choctaw
Cherokee
Lakota

England:
Scotland
Wales
Ireland

India:
Sri Lanka
Nepal

Babylon:
Kazallu
Sumer

A few ones you could include, in case you really need more :) :
  • Sevastopol
  • Manila
  • Wellington
  • Sydney
  • Ur
  • Malta
  • Aruba
  • Prague
  • Minsk

Loving the mod by the way, it's nice not to see the same old city states pop up every time, gets a bit old after a few games :)

I'll be adding:

Lisboa (Maritime)
Prague (Cultured)
Rhodes (Maritime)
Tbilisi (Cultured)
Ur (Militaristic)
Jerusalem (Cultured)
Colombo (Maritime)
Angkor Wat (Cultured)
Sana'a (Maritime)
New Sarai (Militaristic)

About Carthage and settlers, I'll look into it!

What Kiev's type should be?

Top Bottom