Civ V retail WON'T be in a box

Tylerryan79

Emperor
I was looking at Walmart.com, and under the product description they had this:

Product in Inches (L x W x H): 7.5x5.0x0.5
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 0.3

So for everyone who was hoping for a thick manual, looks like it's not happening. :(

I also 100% believe this is accurate because of the full product description they had from the publisher, and because walmart would demand this information in order to carry the product(anyone who knows about walmart knows how anal they are).

But where will I go for badly written and wholly inaccurate strategy guides if Civ5 doesn't come complete with a manual!

It's almost like they suspect that there is some other option.

Ya, it's kind of the end of an era... the loss of a long tradition... but ultimately... who read the manual anyway? :/

If you were new to the series then I can imagine but for most of us... we probably skimmed through the last couple at most.

Ya, it's kind of the end of an era... the loss of a long tradition... but ultimately... who read the manual anyway? :/

If you were new to the series then I can imagine but for most of us... we probably skimmed through the last couple at most.

Actually, I installed Steam a couple months ago :D and bought CIV 3 complete to check things out. When I started playing that I went looking for the manual because I had forgot most of the details of the game.

maybe it's a PDF to read during install or a totally awesome intro movie?

I'm not asking/hoping for a strategy guide, but for a physical hard copy manual that fully explains the game, that I could read where ever, when ever I want. It also doesn't have to be badly written, if they do a good job on it.

It is an end to an era, and it's too bad. It was one of the things that set pc gaming apart from consoles. If some people don't care that's fine. Some people do. That's why I posted it.

PDF wouldn't be that bad. As long as it was a good read, and not 10 pages. I also think when someone opens the game, and sees a book, it scares them off.

A manual with a PC game is like an instruction sheet(s) with a Sauder (other) piece of furniture, yeah you could probably put it together by yourself with your own tools but there's always those extra parts(not meant to be) you get at the end of the project that you just don't know what to do with!;)

I for one like the manual for a quick read on the local transit system it keeps me referenced on things I forget with my old age...:D

DD

I would've liked a manual, they're useful to read to adjust to the new features and layout, and you can get it done during the instal, which prevents you from checking the progress bar every 10 seconds like a maniac. Maybe they'll do a PDF, maybe they'll leave it to the 'accessible' and 'user friendly' interface to explain how to do things.

I don't find this surprising, but I'm not complaining. Considering the things they haven't done and the things they still need to get done, a large lovely manual is low on the priorities list IMO. They will probably use the time just before release to put a reasonable pdf manual together.

A cynical comment (but one that I can't be bothered backing up further) would be that making a nice paper manual would deter some people away from the more profitable Steam-based sales.

@peiceofmind

I agree with the profit aspect. In this day and age they probably see a manual as just a worthless place to spend money. They get no returns on it, and the game will sell fine without one. I'm sure they would say it's to save the rainforest :) to put a nice spin on it. But what it boils down to is the profit margin. Downloadable vs Retail, don't give the consumer insentive to buy retail, but push for online.

@peiceofmind

I agree with the profit aspect. In this day and age they probably see a manual as just a worthless place to spend money. They get no returns on it, and the game will sell fine without one. I'm sure they would say it's to save the rainforest :) to put a nice spin on it. But what it boils down to is the profit margin. Downloadable vs Retail, don't give the consumer insentive to buy retail, but push for online.

Reasons to do a Manual:

A small proportion of game buyers wants one

Reasons not to do a Manual:

Bad for the environment
Expensive
Most buyers do not read it (adds little value)
Necessitates features being nailed down far in advance to give writers time (no chance to iterate designs)
Duplicates work that will be done better post release by fans (gamefaqs, cfc, apoly, WPC)
Raises weight and size of box (again, bad for environment)

For the folks going "herp derp online sales" you can read the manual for every game that has one that you've bought on Steam (or any other digital distribution retailer) via (usually) a PDF file located in the game's directory.

Manuals are giant wastes of space that either delay release outright or require fewer design iterations. Getting rid of them was one of the best decisions the games industry ever made.

edit: Oh, and since it keeps coming up, I personally prefer that companies I like strive for a profit. Troika didn't, and as a result I'll never see an Arcanum 2. So I buy online, since a greater percentage of the revenue goes to the developer and the publisher rather than giant turd burglars like Walmart.

I don't think this has anything to do with encouraging digital versus physical distribution, but rather it is a single change that both cuts costs and clears the way to milk us for more money later.

Specifically I am expecting to see a nice thick juicy manual (labeled as a strategy guide) for sale shortly after release. It will contain all the info that should have been in the manual, together with a few strategy suggestions that will already have been proven poor and superceded by better ideas on fansites such as this.

Predictable as well as logical, sensible and profitable from 2Ks perspective but still makes me sad. :(

The first Civ game I got was Civ 4 Gold Edition, which came with a 140+ page manual. I really enjoyed reading that to get a handle on the game. I will miss that.:sad:

Top Bottom