1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ V stock image Scavenger hunt

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by OrsonM, May 10, 2011.

1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Oh well, we don't only "want" to find copies, i think seeing possible inspirations is also interesting ;).
    It's sure not close, but we can guess that the artists might have used it as basic...er..."template", outline, whatever else. Still a nice finding, even if it's not a copy.

2. BenAxiom

BenAxiom Chieftain

The Great Wall

3. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

Wow, you can even see the bush in the icon if you look carefully!

4. OrsonM

OrsonM Our man

and the shadows on the right

5. BenAxiom

BenAxiom Chieftain

Attached Files:

6. turboraton

turboraton Chieftain

I think we can all agree that those paintings are one of the best things of the game.

7. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

I know! They are simply awesome!

8. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

What's disappointing is not that the artist used references -- all artists use references -- but rather than he or she was so lazy in the manner in which they were used. What's especially lazy (and was obvious long before this thread appeared) is that there are several different icons that obviously use the same reference pose.

On the issue of legality, we can point to the very recent example of the Fairey vs. Associated Press court battle over the Obama "Hope" poster image:

The Associated Press sued artist Shepard Fairey for his use of this image (for which they claimed he made $400,000), but Fairey countersued claiming fair use. The case was ultimately settled out of court:

Meanwhile, Mannie Garcia, the photographer who actually took the photograph (and who at one point sued AP claiming he wasn't working for them when the photo was taken, though he later dropped the suit) got nothing.

So for those arguing that this kind of use is clearly legal or clearly not legal, I think it's very much an open question.

9. HammerandSickle

HammerandSickle Warlord

Hmm...
    I was wondering on what picture is Harun al-Rashid based.
    I did a bit of searching and found nothing.

Help, anyone?

10. Revoran

Revoran Prince

I completely agree and love the paintings - but there are a lot of people who miss the movies (why - i can't imagine).

11. NinjaCow64

NinjaCow64 Thought Bubble Thinker Supporter

This is one interesting thread.

12. IONDragonX

IONDragonX Chieftain

If you look at the left side, you can see that the shadows are all reversed... :crazyeye:

13. BenAxiom

BenAxiom Chieftain

National College (Athens Academy)

14. Gwenwyn

Gwenwyn Chieftain

Not a stock image, but a link to a blog by one of the artists on CiV: http://marchudgins.blogspot.com/

Interesting to see how the artwork was translated into the game.

(Sorry - slightly off-topic)

15. KingYosef

KingYosef Warlord

As a graphic designer myself, this is blatant irresponsible and illegal use of images by Firaxis and 2K.

For those that think this type of use is ok. How would you like it if I took a picture of you with your family, horizontal flip it, morph the clothes a bit and added painting effects, and use it in my next book I'm going to sell about family values. In the meantime, I'm not going to tell you I used your family photo, and not give you anything for using it. How would you like that?

This is the same thing that was done as presented in this thread. It makes me sick to see this lack of honesty going on and people defending it.

Here is a link to the parallel Firaxis/2K forum thread for those who want to express their thoughts over there... http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?107588-Civilization-V-stock-image-scavenger-hunt

16. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Thanks for the link and I agree 100% with what you've said. :)

17. Brichals

Brichals King

I couldn't care less, in fact I'd probably be flattered if anything. You'ld be missing out though, because I'm not very photogenic, you could make me a bit thinner.

18. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Corporations doing something slightly illegal for profit? Unbelievable!

Isn't that a strawman? Where did they take a picture of a family and did what you said?
    And? Don't we got bigger things to worry about than people who can't accept that the second you paste an image on the internet, it's de facto public?

19. OrsonM

OrsonM Our man

I agree as well.

I feel we all deserve a reply from Firaxis to clarify this issue. Whatever anyones perspective on this might be.

And also, this man here be a graphic designer (it may help to think of him as a professional of sorts, almost like he went to college or works with images for a living). I know the temptation to "prove him wrong" is big, but I ask for a bit of restraint, if possible.

20. Brichals

Brichals King

Well lets all blame Firaxis for using public domain pictures. What terror. A reputable company liek Blizzard would never do such a thing.

I present you, Kerrigan artwork for SC2 expansion (used for front of BNet page now) and Kiani from Fathom graphical novels. Also including a horizontal flip, stay classy.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1310/kianiwtf.jpg