1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ3 1.29f Bugs Report Thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by philippe, Jul 18, 2002.

1. PCHighway

PCHighway Pacific Coast Highway

I thought I read somewhere that Improvements\wonders would not show up in the city veiw?

2. kring

kring Asst Cook & Bottle Washer

Mods to them will not.

3. Crow T Robot

Crow T Robot Minister of Hedonism

I am not sure I know what you mean - do you mean you want to create a new unit of transport already loaded with infantry or something?

All in all, the naval stuff is just whacked. You used to be able to SHIP cruise missles on transports to colonies. Something changed 2 or 3 patches ago and that went away.

Cant load Cruises onto say Destroyers; even though real ones are bristling with them. The only way to knudge it is to flag Cruise missiles as Nukes, but then anything that can carry CMs can carry nukes.

I might have to use that Perry Class Frigate and call it a missle frigate with absurd capacity to compensate.

4. kring

kring Asst Cook & Bottle Washer

The game only uses the latest plant, which tech wise would be the nuclear one. Since it is does anything if you have a factory, it wouldn't give you any bonus without one. Once that city built a factory, the bonus would kick in.

On your error, that is where the problem is to be found; at least according to the readme release.

5. Isak

Isak Civ4 Scenario Designer

Sure - or use a diferent type of installer (Install Shield, if I still have a license, but there's probably plenty of freebies out there too) or people can just use the .ZIP archives which should have no problem overwriting write-protected files.

The .EXE installers were only put to use because people had too many problems figuring out how ZIP archives and BAT files work, so unless I manage to find a different install maker, it will still be a step back for user-friendliness (and more time spent by me trying to explain and help)

But the point remains: Why even write protect it? None of the other .TXT files are, and isn't it a safe bet that anyone who wants to mod, might also want to add his/her modifications to the Civilopedia ??

And Dan:

Wasn't there something about the Tech Chooser screens messing up if you loaded a BIC with added Civilization Advances, as a Scenario?

6. Mavtse

Mavtse Chieftain

//Big problem with submarine//
    i've upgraded to 1.29f and continue playing with my 1.21f saved game. Then when submarine available, i made about 10. but the AIs keep killing my subs without their sub around(industrial age, no AEGIS)!

7. Dark Sheer

Dark Sheer Deity

@Zouave : Try open your Civ3Edit (patch 1.29 version) then load your old scenario.bic (1.21f version) and resave the bic files. This will usually add the necessary new fields related to 1.29 to your old bic files and it should work. It works when I upgrade from 1.17 to 1.29. :king:

8. rangers85

rangers85 Official Thread Killer

@Zouave, another thing that may have happened is the splashes got over-written or something along the process of installing the patch. Therefore, you may have to re-add some of your images for improvements, etc. that you added.

9. RobO

RobO King

Isak, I think you'll just have to make a separate downloadable batch file that opens up civilopedia.txt and tell people to run that before the self-extracting exe.

It's most likely a screw-up from someone at Firaxis, but you never know how twisted their minds are ;) - Chances are slim that it will be corrected IMO.

10. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

anyone using mods should back up their civilopedia.txt and pediaicons.txt files before installing the patch as these will be overwritten! :)

11. RobO

RobO King

I noted Dan M from Firaxis warned on page 1 about "messing with" civ3mod.bic

I don't see how DyP can be set up as a scenario with all the added units, improvements and techs. But ofc. it goes withtout saying that you need to uninstall and reinstall before applying 1.29f if you have DyP installed. Otherwise, who knows what will happen?

Fortunately, Isak has made it easy to reinstall DyP :goodjob: But DyP Players beware that it isn't 1.29 compatible yet. Isak is working on that (too).

12. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

What he means is that there is no way in the editor to have a unit already loaded into a transport. Say you were doing a D-Day invasion scenario and wanted to have your transports ready to land on the first turn. Well, you can't.

As far as your CM probs go, I've modded them to work sanely. Give the CMs Foot Unit and Tactical Missile flags and add the Load flag. Make your Cruiser have the Can transport Foot Units and Can Transport Tactical Missiles flag. If you want the AI to know what to do with this Cruiser add the Missile Transport flag. You may want unload (or not). Obviously, you want to add some transport slots.

13. eli_co

eli_co Chieftain

Firaxis... i saw that 3 guys are here from the company.
    Now, dont be cowards, and tell us why there isnt diplomacy settings in the editor?
    we all agree that scenarios cant be made this way, no ww2, no civil war, no crusador, no middle east, since it is all about who is fighting who.
    Guys, we just want an explanation, and you ignoring us only makes us more upset...
    act like men , and tell us the reason behind this, was it an honest mistake, or what?
    once again, we know you are reading this bug/problems thread, so answer us, we deserve it.

14. Jon Shafer

Jon Shafer Civilization 5 Designer

To those upset with the editor:
    You have a right to be. I'm upset with it too. But I suppose I shouldn't have expected any more. Mike was the only one working on it, and only for two months. Do you realize how little one person can get done in two months on a project like that? It's great we can do as much as possible. What I would have preferred would have been a team to help Mike out and flesh out a real scenario editor. Unfortunately, probably for a variety of reasons they didn't, and we've ended up with an extended map editor. No bashing on Firaxis, they've always been excellent and could have dropped the game after 1.07f, and I appreciate their work, but this is just the more powerful map editor. Hopefully Mike will have gotten a lot more done by the time PtW is out. :)

15. HomeAir

HomeAir Warlord

In regards to have nuclear/coal/solar/hydro plant without a factory, this would make sense since if when getting bombed your factory gets destroyed you don't lose your nuclear/coal/solar/hydro plant. I assume that the same behavior with other improvements such as library, university and research lab will take place.

16. Desert Fox

Desert Fox Fleet Admiral

Everyone might want to consider uninstalling Civ3, run REGEDIT, find all files relating to Infogrames Interactive and Civilization III, delete all entries. Be very careful doing this only delete the "keys" relating to Civ3. Go to your previous Civ3 folder delete the contents, uninstaller program will not remove everything. Run the ADD/REMOVE software program from control panel, remove all previous patches as well.
    This will give you a totally clean install of Civ3. After I did this the game seems to be running flawlessly. I had a crash but I was able to recover from it. I bet another patch will be coming regardless what they say. :p

17. sumthinelse

sumthinelse civ investigator

About civ3mod.bic:

Dan, do you understand why people are in the habit of modifying civ3mod.bic? The reason is that, before patch 1.21f, we used to be able to make rule changes to civ3mod.bic, and those changes would take effect in games in progress. Starting with 1.21f, there is no longer any advantage in modifying it.

So I agree with you that it is safer and easier not to modify civ3mod.bic in 1.21f and later.

18. Mike B. FIRAXIS

Mike B. FIRAXIS Firaxian

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Post your bic file and I will look at it and let you know what the problem is.

19. Yarlen

Yarlen Chieftain

Maybe I'm a total loser for asking this but ....

Firaxis - you guys know how devoted the mod community for Civ III is and have made literally hundreds of updates to the program since release (many of which were to the editor). Why haven't you made it possible (or maybe you have and I've just not seen it) for modders to create new/alter the existing civlopedia.txt and pediaicons.txt files? These two files are arcane to deal with; it seems like you guys could add something to the editor to make it easier for people to mod them with. Furthermore, it seems as though you should be able to make it possible for alternate versions of the files to be created for specific scenarios without altering the original versions which came w/the game.

Is this unrealistic? I imagine you guys are learning a LOT of what you can (people would like you to do) for a Civ IV. ;-)

- Yarlen

20. Civanator

Civanator Deity

NO DIPLOMACY?!?! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Oh well. This is still a good patch and added alot of stuff we needed. From what I heard, Mike did a really good job even though he had to do it by himself.

And if i heard correctly, is there a way to make Civs have different levels of friendliness toward eachother? If that is, then we can make good scenarios, but they just won't start the diplomacy part until later in the game, so WW2 and Civil War will start at later dates instead of right at the beginning.

But all in all, this is a really good patch and i think most people who complained about the Diplomacy thing are getting a little power hungry.