Civ3 1.29f Bugs Report Thread

Okay, here's the synopsis from what I've read:

1. Don't alter the civ3mod.bic file because you don't have to.
Make your tech tree changes in your own .bic file, of course now you will have to make your own tech adviser backgrounds which will no longer match up with the tech tree in the civ3mod.bic file making it useless. So I guess making your own .bic file didn't solve anything.:rolleyes:

2. Feel free to make your own scenarios.
However, any terrain, leader (why would you need specific leader graphics for a scenario? Maybe Cleopatra wasn't in charge of Nazi Germany for WW2 but that doesn't mean it couldn't have happened), or other graphic you make WILL affect all games played on that computer because they still haven't given us the ability to choose alternate graphics. THIS IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT FUNCTION TO MAKE A SCENARIO.:cry:

You can't make a great scenario without diplomacy presets but you could at least give it the necessary flavor. The biggest problem is you have to change the base graphics, which is the same thing as changing civ3mod.bic. ALL games played use the same files and don't allow you ANY option to choose an alternate set for a specific BIC file.

How hard would this be? In Civ2 they simply had the alternate graphic files stored in a separate folder. In the scenario editor we could have a screen where you could type the name of the pcx file you want to use for roads.:confused:

Anyway, I think we should give them a break because this is Firaxis' first attempt to make a Scenario Editor for Civ3 and nobody's perfect.:D

And the map editor has a minimap.....:D :D :D

You don't understand..... it has a..... minimap....:D :D :D

after reading people say that 'installing should not change any saved games' i joyfully installed and played a previous game.

my ships which traveled 4 and 6 spaces, were now at 2 each

every city that was in 'we love the king day' (about 15) meraculously went out, no loss of luxuries, no war wearieness, no spontaneous combustion of improvements or wonders

and the damn patch never fixed the problem i have had since day one - i cant hear the music, if i turn it on, for some reason it replays the first sound the game makes over and over and over untill it occupies all compurter recources and sends my computer into a state of blue-screen hell.

screw 1.29 i am dumping it.

<puts 1.29 in a pinata and baches it>
:hammer:
:frog:

Originally posted by Isak
Why is the Civilopedia.txt Write-protected??? :confused:

This means that the Self-Extracting .exe's of the DyP mod won't work anymore, as they won't overwrite the Civilopedia unless the user goes and ticks the write-protection off by himself...

I may be pessimistic, but I can imagine how often I am going to explain that.... so in the name of User Friendliness....WHY?? :spank:

You could create a batch file that uses the attrib -r command on any write protected files, and then calls your self-extracting exe's when its finished. Only 1 file for the user to double click on then.

That should be pretty user friendly.

Originally posted by Scientia

You could create a batch file that uses the attrib -r command on any write protected files, and then calls your self-extracting exe's when its finished. Only 1 file for the user to double click on then.

That should be pretty user friendly.

how quickly i feel like an idiot. :crazyeye:

Scientia: We already use a batch file with one of the download-sets, (to join diskette-sized file-parts to one big EXE) and people are not exactly finding that to be user-friendly. You and I don't panic when we see the words .BAT in a file, but other people have no idea what to do with them - not cause they're dumb, but because they weren't around in the days of Mighty DOS.

Anyway, it's ok, I already found and SFX maker which doesn't care if files are write-protected, and will just use that.

And apparently, the Firaxians were asked about it at the Apolyton chat, and admitted that it was just an error. That's okay guys, I've made a couple of dumb mistakes with the DyP Installs during the past few months :D

BAT files? It's been years since I heard the term; good old DOS.

I hope you get it fixed Trip

mm...everytime i click the tech tree to the industrial age the game just exits...is it just me?

Maybe it's been noticed already, but the 'j' (stack movement) doesn't seem to work. I tried it on a group of horseman.

Chieftess: I found it no longer moves the group right away. Try it again, then simply press 'w' on any other unit that pops up - you should see the rest of the stack move, too.

another bug: I think I shouldn't be able to irrigate that tile - no fresh water! But as you see, I can!

a bug, i think!

I see your "bug" Lt. It isn't a bug, but a little square of fresh water next to him. I have posted the picture and circled the landbridge.

Attachments

• bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 766
OK, after installing the patch I can't upgrade some of my units (i.e horseman->rider , rider->cavalry), I have the necessary resources and barrack in the city. I can still upgrade units such as spearman->pike->musket, I checked the civilopedia and the upgrade-to information is in there and is what it is supposed to be. Does anybody know what went wrong ? From what I've read in this thread, I'm guessing this is because I modify my civ3mod.bic ? My civ3mod.bic got overriden and so I rename my backup back to civ3mod.bic. The thing is , if this is the case why it only affect the UUs, can this be a bug
:confused: ?

Someone installed the new patch and started a new game only to discover to their horror (after getting the best map they've ever seen) that the patch 'adjusted' a setting. They went from Emperor to Warlord. It might have been operator error, but check your settings.

Has anyone created an Army from a Great Leader with the new patch, 1.29? I have the Barracks in the city, and three Swordsmen, but I can not create my Army to put them in it. I can hurry a Wonder (I hurried the Pyramids earlier), and I could do this with all previous patches. Completely playing default rules. I attached the saved game - I hope I'm just being slow here; would appreciate if someone else could take a quick look...

Oh, and I'm getting my butt kicked in this game, please kindly ignore that!!

Originally posted by Sanaz
Has anyone created an Army from a Great Leader with the new patch, 1.29? I have the Barracks in the city, and three Swordsmen, but I can not create my Army to put them in it. I can hurry a Wonder (I hurried the Pyramids earlier), and I could do this with all previous patches. Completely playing default rules. I attached the saved game - I hope I'm just being slow here; would appreciate if someone else could take a quick look...

I downloaded it and took a look. The reason you can't build an army is you only have 2 cities. You need 4 cities minimum before you can build an army.

Originally posted by Matt_G

I downloaded it and took a look. The reason you can't build an army is you only have 2 cities. You need 4 cities minimum before you can build an army.
Thanks for the tip - I guess I never tried with so few cities before. I'm glad I was just being slow.

Originally posted by konigstiger
OK, after installing the patch I can't upgrade some of my units (i.e horseman->rider , rider->cavalry), I have the necessary resources and barrack in the city. I can still upgrade units such as spearman->pike->musket, I checked the civilopedia and the upgrade-to information is in there and is what it is supposed to be. Does anybody know what went wrong ? From what I've read in this thread, I'm guessing this is because I modify my civ3mod.bic ? My civ3mod.bic got overriden and so I rename my backup back to civ3mod.bic. The thing is , if this is the case why it only affect the UUs, can this be a bug
:confused: ?

Did you start a new game in 1.29f or load a previously started game from 1.21f?

If the game was loaded from 1.21f I would expect the upgrades to work the same.

But if you want to start a new game using your modified .bic values you need to:
  • Start civ3edit.
  • Import (don't rename, don't load) the old .bic file
  • Save as myoldbic.bic or some unique name.
  • In the CIV3 starting menu, load scenario and select myoldbic.bic, or whatever the name is.

Well, I can't add civs now without the game crashing at the civ selection screen. I had no problems until the 1.29 patch. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else so please tell me I am not the only one having these problems and would anyone know why this is happening?

I tried adding one new civ (the Irish) using the the Civ Editor. I did not try to add any new graphics but rather attempted to use the Bismark animations for my leader, Brian Boru. In addition, I did create a new unit (IRA gunman) but used the rifleman graphics icon.

I then played the game and have had mixed results. During the game startup process, on the civ selection screen, ALL of the rival civilizations were initially listed as being Ireland. However, after I chose to play as the Irish then all the rival civs correctly changed to random. The Bismark head properly appeared as my leader head.

The game seems to play properly. But, on the diplomacy screen the Bismark head has been replaced by Queen Elizabeth! Don't know why that happened. In the civ editor, all I did for the leader appearance was retype the German (Bismark) animation file paths in the boxes for the 4 eras of animation choices at the bottom left corner of the civilization editor screen. Was there some other place I needed to make a change as well?

I haven't yet reached the point in the game when the IRA special unit will come into play so I don't know yet if it will work or if there will be problems using the same icon as another active unit.

Top Bottom