1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ3 NES 1

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Daftpanzer, Jul 30, 2006.

1. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

update today?

2. Daftpanzer

Daftpanzer There may be more posts after this.

sorry guys. game progress is done,write-ups done, but im too tried to do maps and edit the screenies.

I allocated several hours and its all gone in a time-warp. I dunno whats going on :( Actually i think i am getting too tied down with save editing and tweaking, and causing errors which i then have to spend more time fixing.

everything *will* be there tommorrow. meanwhile ill try to break the habit of sabotaging my own projects like this, hopefully get back to a smoother pace of things.

3. North King

North King blech

It's okay. I'm worse. :p

4. alex994

alex994 Hail Divine Emperor!

Yeah, north king didn't update once for 2 whole months. And there was no message like that yours daft :) He just left us hanging while you at least give us information.

5. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

hopes the *will* will pull through

6. Daftpanzer

Posting this first for visibility!

Questions for upcoming ‘boring time’ edit (not happening for two weeks tho)

OK heres the deal – one or two more normal updates to come after this update, then im going on holiday. I’ll be away for over a week, starting Friday, and ill have no PC or internet access during that time period :(. When I get back ill do the ‘boring time’ edit, re-creating a scenario based on the end of this game, but going several centuries forward (probably starting about 250 BC or thereabouts). That might take a day or two to set up. So, the next ‘episode’ wont start for about two weeks from now :( but thought Id let you know in advance, so plenty of time to let me know if…

A, anyone would want to join/rejoin with a new custom civ? (if so, plz don’t spend time on details yet, until I can guarantee a place)
    B, anyone wants to edit anything about their civ, or ‘morph’ it into something else? (Like maybe a new leadership taking over, changing UU’s, or any kind of changes?)

>Reminder: During the boring time, ill be going back to the editor and rebuilding some things, so I would be able to change anything at all...

Free slots…
    Im keeping all the player civs already in the game, but I plan to re-arrange the NPC’s, which should give me *6* free slots for extra custom civs…
    BUT, after including the 5 new civs that people posted since the start of the game, there is only *1* free slot left...
    BUT#2, im not sure how many of those people still want to play…

So I will PM them, and once I get replies Ill post how many confirmed free slots there are, in case anyone else wants to join. Otherwise, ill think of some kind of interesting NPC’s to fill up the spaces. Incidentally, im also open to suggestions about NPC nations. But again, this is still two weeks away. Now here is the long-delayed update…

(the real reason this is late - I still don’t have much free time, and I have been wasting it by geeking things up, complexity-increase syndrome… I also worked out how to take ‘action-shots’ at the touch of a button, started experimenting… kinda fun, but quite sad really :). I wont do this again, ill try to get back to much shorter and sharper updates from now on!)

7. Daftpanzer

1500BC – 1350BC

Several long running wars seem to be reaching their conclusions during this time period…

Military Events:

Almoth vs Argos and Zekul

Along the Argosian/Almoth border, both forces were given defensive orders. This was a war neither side’s leaders really wanted, at least not yet… After some token fighting, the Argosians headed back into Africa.

Zekulamuton contuined to be held by Almoth, and became a major centre of the slave trade.

Meanwhile, the Zekul people in the east had been rallied by their *great leader*, known as Healfdene. Great masses of displaced peoples and rebelling slaves found their way to the Zekul camps to join the fight. Mercenary forces from Argos and Karion lands also joined. The secrets of iron working were also discovered by the Zekulian metal workers at this time.

Hordes of Zekulian troops now attacked from the east, and a long war of attrition was fought along the borderlands. The majority of battles ended in higher losses for the Zekul, who nonetheless maintained superior numbers. For decades, the Zekulian forces launched constant attacks, until the Almothian forces were spread rather thinly. Healfdene never saw Zekulamuton recaptured, but his successors led the Zekulian troops on to a triumphant liberation of their old homeland…

…and a huge number of slave peoples were liberated!

Argos-Kairona war

The centuries-old conflict had never been brought to any real conclusion. Bitterness and hostility remained on both sides. After a few decades of inactivity, a new generation of Argosian leaders directed their forces into the desert once again. With no real fighting in the north, Argos was able to concentrate vast forces in the south. Meanwhile, Kairon’s leaders were obsessed with the construction of their great oracle temple. Their military was neglected, their treasury was strained past breaking point, and they were now facing rebellions from the african mercenary forces…

Argosian envoys succeeded in bribing these troops to switch sides. Argosian forces now marched steadily east, meeting resistance all the way, but nothing to really hold them back. Edfu came back under Argosian control…

…and then the sprawling city of Kaironas itself seemed very vulnerable…

But the African mercenaries headed south, looking for more plunder. The defenders of Kaironas were rallied by the completion of the great oracle temple, and were able to repulse the first Argosian invasions.

But over the following decades, Argosian generals launched many more attacks, sending in everything they had. Catapults were used on both sides, chariots crashed through the streets, elite bowmen fought from rooftops and ruined houses. The final attack could not be repulsed, and the elite Kairon forces fought to the death amidst a storm of fire, spears, arrows, and collapsing buildings, from which few of the city’s civilian inhabitants emerged alive. African mercenary forces went on a rampage against their former employers, and the worlds largest city was left as a ghost town.

Terrisandria was rebuilt in 1360 BC, and vast stretches of coast were now under the control of the Argosians. The remaining Kaironian cities agreed to peace, and have set up a fragile leadership in the major trading city of Lisht. Argosian forces began slowly returning to their homeland, though most are still in the area around Kaironas.

*Kairon agreed to a peace offer, as specified in Argosian orders. However, the conquered territory is very difficult to control. Rebellions are likely unless some land is given back, or the capitol is moved from Argos to some city further east.

8. Daftpanzer

Taejon-Yaktan war

Led by their *great leader*, Selim, the Yaktanians invaded with a large force from the east, together with many mercenaries from both east and west. They managed to overcome the defences of Huich’on, though they took heavy losses in the process. Riskien mercenaries from Panga were the first to breach the walls. Huich’on never recovered from the fighting, and quickly fell into ruin.

At the same time, Taejon’s attack against Iri Hieju was foiled. It didn’t help that the commander of the main Taejon army disobeyed his orders, and headed into the north, seeking an easier victory. Sia Teaga was indeed captured, but the main Yaktan force was now approaching on a collision course…

The great battle of the Sia Teaga desert, 1470 BC…

The first massed cavalry battle in history. The Taejon army was not at full strength, having taken losses in the fighting for Sia Teaga. The tide of battle was with the better-trained Yaktan horsemen right from the start. Despite a late rallying effort by the Taejon forces, the battle was already lost. Taejon’s main offensive army was destroyed.

Meanwhile, other Taejon forces returned to Iri Hieju in the south, this time succeeding in taking the city, as the rebel forces there having been isolated for some time without reinforcement. The main Yaktan army also had to withdraw east to recover from its losses. Also, by this stage, more Riskien mercenaries from Panga had travelled east and were being employed by both sides.

By 1380 BC, the Taejon leadership had succeeded in re-uniting their homeland, although much devestation had been caused. The war continues… There have been decades of skirmishing in the borderlands, and the Taejon infantry have so far been able to repulse the main Yaktan cavalry army, despite having nothing to match it in open battle.

*Taejon has ended the rebellions, and created a strong new central leadership. If either side chooses to continue fighting, know that it is likely to be an all-out struggle, with no real advantages on either side.

Riskien Legions raid Altyn-Kanalat and Ormash!

Many of Panga’s Riskien Legions had left their homeland, seeking their fortunes in faraway lands. They had a strong presence throughout southern asia, and as well as being involved in the Yaktan-Taejon war, they fought countless battles with barbarians in the wilderness.

Eventually, they reached the south eastern coast, and came into contact with the expanding empire of Altyn-Kanalar, where they sensed an opportunity for plunder. The city of Sar, in the province of Dyngheza-Ibyr, was suddenly attacked by thousands of Riskien troops. The defending Utrigurk warriors fought bravely, but were vastly outnumbered.

Sar was conquered, yet many of the Riskien troops now wanted to return to their homelands. Much larger Altyn-Kanalt forces where bound to arrive soon. And so they headed back east, carrying much plunder with them.

*Unexpected war occurred between Panga and Altyn-Kanalat, which I ended due to the distances involved. Sar was returned to Altyn-Kanalat control, as it was unrealistic to keep it as part of Panga. But, some gold was awarded to Panga.
    Altyn-Kanalat: -50 gold. Panga: +50 gold.

However, the Riskien Legions stopped on the way home to attack the Ormash city of Tanash! This time, the defenders managed to hold out for a while, long enough for the Pangan leaders to assert their authority, and force the Riskien Legions to withdraw under the terms of the ancient treaties. Peace held once again in the west.

*Ended ai-declared war between Ormash and Panga, under terms of established treaties. An Ormash settler destroyed by the Pangan forces was replaced.

Other Events:

Yssian Explorations
    Ys continues to develop its seafaring tradition. Yssian mariners have explored the islands to the east and north, making contact with the Pictish peoples. The island of Dysle in the east was also colonised by Yssian settlers. Meanwhile, rumour has it that a great lighthouse is being constructed to guide ships into Ys’s new harbour!

Pictish Settlements
    Pictish peoples have moved into Yssian lands, south of Tarvlyn rock. Other picts settled the mainland east of Zekul lands. These settlements have been peaceful, not resulting in any conflict thus far.

The Hanging Gardens of Altyn-Sarai:
    This great wonder is the culmination of a century-long building program in Altyn-Kanalat. Apart from the Riskien raids against Sar, the Altyn-Kanalat empire has remained strong and fairly stable.

Western Civilisation!
    Ormash, Panga and Taejon continue to exchange ideas. A tradition of written language and complex mysticism now spans all three cultures. The level of sophistication in this region is now superior to most of the rest of the world.

Slavery and Progress…
    The loss of Zekulamuton was a blow for Almoth’s slave trade, but vast hordes of slave workers are still at work in southern Almoth, clearing the forests, planting farms, and building roads across wide areas of land. Almoth is also the first nation to introduce an official code of laws, to manage its slave ownership.

Lenierde splinter colony:
    Travellers from Anguille founded the city of Lenierde, on the coast of the chilly northern sea, far to the north west. The city was too far away to remain as part of Anguille, and it soon became independent. Eventually it fell under the influence of Pictish settlers, and became part of their nation. The city is now known as Lenyahd in the Pictish tongue.

Maps, 1350 BC

The Yssian traders guild’s Ubermap of the East
    http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads12/ubereurope.jpg

The Pangan traveller’s Ubermap of the West
    http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads12/uberasia.jpg

Here’s an old Altyn-Kanalat map of the entire known world (but might not be very accurate):

Trading centres:
    (each gets trade-boosting small wonder):
    Ys, Ormash, Herakleia (Argosian), Atil (Altyn-Kanalat), Lisht (Kairon), Somerfyld (Almoth)

Almoth’s port city of Somerfyld is making a roaring trade, selling slaves and iron goods across the mediterranean. The other trade centres have remained stable.

World Info:
    Largest land area under control: probably equal between Altyn-Kanalat, Almoth and Argosian Empire.
    Most cities: Argosian Empire, with 10.
    Most people: Argosian Empire, followed closely by Ys, Altyn-Kanalat, Panga and Rayam.
    Largest cities: tied between Atil, Ys, Roazon, High Almoth, and Ormash, all with 7. (Kaironas, formely the largest at 8, is now just 1 population).

Spending points/orders results: (*number of points spent)
    Ormash: (2)
    Temples in Ormash, Tanash and Tajash. Barracks in Tajash. Quite a few extra units.

Yaktan: (1)
    Extra forces at Iri Hieju, extra forces for push against Huich’on (including extra mercenaries hired).

Taejon: (1)
    Walls and extra forces at Huich’on. Extra forces for push against Iri Hieju.

Argosia: (1)
    Walls at Mycenae. Units manually moved from Almoth lands to Kairon lands. Extra forces for push against Kairon. African mercenaries bribed to turn against Kairon.

Ys: (1)
    Mapmaking discovered. +1 galley. Harbours built at Ys and Oriant. Yssian Polders built at Ys. Seas and islands to north and east are now considered explored. Contact made with the Picts! (see notes). Bonus 100 gold.

Almoth: (1)
    Extra defensive units (spearmen mainly) in all cities.

Zekul (3)
    Walls and barracks in all three cities, iron working tech, massive recruitment of soldiers and mercenary forces

Altyn-Kanalat: (1)
    Walls in Ghulaman and Talulak. +2 workers. Peace signed with Ulak. Wonder production - Altyn-Sarai was set to building hanging gardens, despite not having the required tech (monarchy). Other cities changed production to buildings.

New spending points:
    1 given to all player civs. Bonus: +1 to Panga, I will keep my word about story bonuses :)

Notes:
    Added stats for the Picts to the first page. LittleBoots has secretly been in control of the Picts for a while.

There was a mistake on the first page - Zekul had 3 points to spend before this update, not 2. Anyway I presumed that LuckyMoose would want them all spent on military.

Spending points stat on front page is not the number-per-turn, but the ‘bank’ of total points accumulated. Im sticking with the system of one point for each player (+special bonuses), though the effects of each point are modified somewhat depending on the size and power of that civ.

9. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

in the new game in 2 weeks change my UU so it has -1 def also

10. North King

North King blech

Greeeeeat.

To: Zekul

Peace?

11. Daftpanzer

only took one and a half hours to update :( wish i had broadband!!!

faster updates in future, i promise (again, lol)

12. alex994

alex994 Hail Divine Emperor!

To Yatkan
    From Taejon

White peace?

13. Disenfrancised

Disenfrancised Beep Beep

Awesomes!!

To the Picts
    From the Ys League

We look forward to profitable trading with you.

14. Insane_Panda

Insane_Panda Deity

So, since you recieved my military orders too late, I basically didn't do anything?

15. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

To Teajon
    From Yaktan
    how about peace and an allaince to be called the South-East Asia Allaince (note iggy can join and it would be the South Asia Allaince) If you agree Alex and Iggy post and we can discuss the purpose of it.

16. Daftpanzer

:( sorry, im afraid so. Bad thing about this is i cant go back in time to add specific orders, without scrapping everything ive written up and taken pics of. Some things often work out the same, but ive noticed some big changes happening any time ive restarted.

Well, i could have redone it all today i guess, but i felt like wasting time on the pictures :)

/edit: BTW, you didnt spend a point, so it adds up for use next time. *checks stats* infact it seems you have 3 saved up now.

17. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

what wonders are possible right now?

where it says all nations plus 1 point is that just this turn or for ever?

18. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

The Dessert
    Berlico stared across the open unyielding desert. War he muttered to himself

tis' such a waste, hundreds dead and what is the result a city is burt to the

ground. As if it matters now that the new focus is outwards not inwards.

Quite The Contrary​

Wait. Wait. Wait. You can't honestly make me belive we'll be living

in that for months even years, Berlico said as he pointed south. Well we are

and you're going to deal with it! Do I make myself clear! Yessir Crystal sir.

Good... Now clean the latrines! *sighs* Yes sir.

(i'm not that good with stories look at linesII and yes i have a modern military system deal with it)

19. TerrisH

TerrisH Mischief?

to Kairona
    We wish to discusse Terms for the Return of the city Kairona to your people. what are you willign to offer, if anything, for it's return?

20. das

das Regeneration In Process

Good, good. My empire really is quite big, bigger than I had thought. Thanks for the wonder.