Civ5 Box Art Released

box means the game will be sold in stores? I thought the game was to only come out online.

nope, its comin out in stores and online. you'll need to activate it online via Steam before you can play tho. big FAQ on that sticky'd in the civ5 forums.

Epic fail IMO
IMO, any art(the visual one especially) must have a "Center point" where all attention would turn on that point, no matter the rest of the picture is
Which i can't simply found in this one

From this box art, I get the disturbing impression that the modern era will be overemphasized with past eras as little more than a rushed afterthought. Additionally, the presence of military units on the cover suggests that there will be more emphasis on warfare this time around. As always, I am concerned that visual appeal will overshadow the need for deep game-play, and we'll get some watered down Civilization Revolution-esque shell of the series former self. The strange feeling is that just seeing the box art brought on all these feelings about the game. While I know it is not prudent to judge something in such a superficial manner, presentation is an important part of selling a product well and usually the box art suggests the themes in the game. In addition, I agree with previous comments that the cover has no focal point and lacks direction. In my opinion, a simplistic black cover with the phrase 'CIVILIZATION V' on it is preferable to this mess reminiscent of a tabletop war game miscegenated with SimCity.

From this box arrt, I get the disturbing impression that the modern era will be overemphasized with past eras as little more than a rushed afterthought. Additionally, the presence of military units on the cover suggests that there will be more emphasis on warfare this time around.

Don't interpret anything in the box art, other than it probably is for Civ V. If you did that with the (vanilla) Civ 4 box art, you would come to the conclusion that there are no units in the game any more :D

I like it. Plenty of detail all around. I don't think it's hurt any by not having any one focal point - if one's into analogies, one could say that there is no one focal point on the box art just as there is no one focal point in the game.

Better than the Civ4 box art IMO. Big road ending in a nuke... not my ideal. Same with the Civ4 box's drab, tan theme.

The all-black used before this was nice and drastic, though. I wouldn't have minded just the plain black with gold lettering box art.

its good, but to be honest, i liked the placeholder art of the stark black box with the civ V logo better. it was... dignified? distinguished? it gave the feel that you were looking at something important and weighty. maybe that was too serious for a game, but im a firm believer in the minimalist / simpler-is-better school of graphic design.

anyways, interesting art. ALOT going on.

And nothing is more minimalist than the Roman Praetorian, right? (looking at your profile pic)

Edit: I guess the phrase "Never judge a book by its cover" would be appropriate here, with game substituting for book.

From this box arrt, I get the disturbing impression that the modern era will be overemphasized with past eras as little more than a rushed afterthought. Additionally, the presence of military units on the cover suggests that there will be more emphasis on warfare this time around. As always, I am concerned that visual appeal will overshadow the need for deep game-play, and we'll get some watered down Civilization Revolution-esque shell of the series former self.
Check out the tech tree and you'll feel even more like it's just a modern war sim with earlier eras bolted on. I hope it takes like 30 turns to research a tech or it's gonna be a quick game.

not feeling it. way too overdone. they've reigned in the detail in previous versions by having it symmetrical and along a 'path'... this is juts chaotic and doesn't show any kind of timeline. fail.
I agree it's too chaotic. There's nothing you should be looking at, it's just a bunch of crud mashed together. I didn't even catch the "wonders" until someone mentioned them.

New wonders? And they're bringing back flak units?! I can't wait
Since the game was designed with Panzer General inspirations, the way flak works in THAT game is if an aircraft attacks a unit adjacent to a flak unit, the flak unit gets to defensive-fire first. Same thing happens if a land unit attacks another land unit adjacent to an artillery unit, btw.

Check out the tech tree and you'll feel even more like it's just a modern war sim with earlier eras bolted on. I hope it takes like 30 turns to research a tech or it's gonna be a quick game.

Oh, great... looks like my legions aren't going to be so useful after all.

its good, but to be honest, i liked the placeholder art of the stark black box with the civ V logo better. it was... dignified? distinguished? it gave the feel that you were looking at something important and weighty.

Hear Hear

I really dig the "placeholder" art w/ the big, gold V on the black background and kind of assumed that it was the box art. It had gravitas, and kinda screamed out at you "CIVILIZATION V is here :):):):):)es!". It was an image that made me think that this was not just your ordinary game, it is something special. Eye catching to say the least.

Don't get me wrong though, I actually don't have any problems w/ this new art, it is nicely composed and definitely conveys what the games is all about. So in that aspect I guess it serves it's purpose better then just the logo on black, as someone that isn't familiar w/ the franchise wouldn't know exactly what they were looking at if they hadn't changed it. At quick glance the game could've been anything, and it could be argued that people would be less likely to pick it up off a shelf. Personally I think the opposite would've happened and people would've been drawn to it b/c it set itself so far apart from the usual video-game case.

In the end though, I don't really care what's on the outside, as long as what's inside the damn box continues what the first 4 civ games have started, I'll be more then happy.

Well, it sums up what Civ5 looks to be: A TBS focused on the 1900s+ with earlier eras shoehorned in, so it works.

I support abbrems on the minimalistic style. The first three games had box art that was more simple, more artistic and more subtle (I still think the first one was the best). Then came IV, and though it wasn't bad, it just looked more like a game than it previously had, when it looked more like a piece of art. This just looks the same as IV

And nothing is more minimalist than the Roman Praetorian, right? (looking at your profile pic)

Edit: I guess the phrase "Never judge a book by its cover" would be appropriate here, with game substituting for book.

im certainly not judging the game. im sure the game will be amazing. I won't even be buying a store copy (i <3 steam) so my opinion is just that, an opinion.

i think its a good cover, i just liked the placeholder better is all.

if i were shopping in a store and i saw the two covers side by side without know what civ was, i'd be turned off by all the goings on in the new cover, and intrigued by the simplicity of the placeholder. thats just my tastes.

Top Bottom