1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 Confirmed Features and Versions

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Mercade, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Source?

2. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

You mean other than announcement of Direct2Drive that they're giving you the first civ + scenario pack for free, implying that it's a for sale release?

Of course that doesn't mean that all DLC will be paid. There may be free DLC as well, and then there's the mod browser that allows sharing of mods.

3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I thought there was something else, which i missed. D2D is clear, yes.

4. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

updated the Patronage social policies

5. Planepimp

Planepimp Chieftain

The more and more I hear about Civ 5 the more and more I am thinking I'm going to pass. Come on no Religion?

6. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

And you're bringing this up, now? :huh:

7. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Play the demo before you judge, pimp.

8. Malchar

Malchar Chieftain

So my reward for pre-ordering the game early on Steam is that I find out later that D2D has a better deal. Last time I pre-order anything, ever.

9. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Step 1: Cancel pre-order at Steam
    Step 2: Place pre-order at D2D :D
    The D2D pre-order deal is also a pre-order offer, so by your logic you'd forego all offers because there could possibly be a better offer later? And so you resign yourself to buying full price without taking any offer. :rolleyes: Strong reasoning.

10. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Chieftain

bite : maybe you can complete commerce and rationalism

11. bite

I have only seen the info from them in quote from people who played the demo, I'll wait till I see a screenshot

12. Carl5872

Carl5872 Prince

Does anyone know if theres a way to pre-download the game onto your computer? Im guessing it may take well over an hour to download, and if possible I want it done in advance because it will be torture watching it download on the release date.

Also, does anyone know the exach hour it will be available on the 21st eastern time?

13. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

It is not known yet whether there will be a pre-load or not and if so, when.

To see when the game starts, check on steam and it'll tell you exactly how many hours there will be left. It's around 13:00 or 14:00 EST.

14. megabrainz

megabrainz Visionary Luddite

The info center link still points to the old version of this post. I guess it needs updating?

15. Malchar

Malchar Chieftain

Well, strictly speaking, it does make sense to forgo any pre-order due to the possibility of there later arising a better offer. It's obvious that suboptimal pre-orders will have to be canceled. However, from the perspective of the companies, it ought to be beneficial for them to reward early pre-orders by either having a much lower price or by automatically decreasing the agreed price whenever a lower offer appears. Otherwise, rational consumers would all flock to the best deal on the last day, which would basically defeat the purpose of even offering a pre-order in the first place, which in itself is probably no small task for a company especially when apparently there is no benefit to offering such a pre-order. In conclusion, I was merely lamenting Steam's poor economics which is slightly disappointing because I generally like their products and because I already have Steam installed rather than D2D.

16. bite

updated - Mohawk Warrior, Courthouse, Stonehenge, Cultural Diplomacy, Steam Power, Eiffel Tower, Electronics, Cultured City States

17. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

A feature question ... sorry if it is already discussed (in which case, just point me to where), but I see archers are ranged, and gunpowder are not?

While I can see that within and era, that would make sense (melee are close and archers are ranged pre gunpowder, and small arms are close and cannons/artillery are ranged post gunpowder), what about cross-era combat?

Perhaps the strengths are such that an archer ranged attack is trivial to an advanced GP unit (although the avanced GP ought to outrange it), but camel archer vs musket is an interesting matchup ... does the camel archer really outrange the musket?

dV

18. Erkon

Erkon Chieftain Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

dV - this has been discussed as you have guessed, and one plausible realistic argument would be the accuracy/lethality of ranged weaponry. Longbowmen can kill at long range, while early gunpowder weaponry could not. Advanced GP vs non-GP is something different of course, but that has always been the case i.e. Civ has never been expected to deliver realistic cross-era combat, right? Let's see once the game is out :lol:

19. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

This has been widely discussed e.g. here, here, here, here, and here.

It's not just about range (which in the scaling of Civ is a whole topic on its own), but also about the quality and usefulness of weapons, e.g. muskets being cheap weapons for peasants, while perhaps long bows require more skill to wield and surely long sword armoured infantery was quite formidable. Of course there comes a point where archer vs Wild Bill Hickok becomes moot.

20. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

When is the demo coming out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.