1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 Swordsmen Pak 1

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Unit Graphics' started by bernie14, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Patum333

Patum333 Chieftain

I need help with my first try, building a swordsman unit. The problem is, NOTHING to see in the game!!!

Could someone help me please; what is the problem with this model? (maybe the *_sref.dds?) :confused:

Attached Files:

2. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Chieftain

I haven't myself tried yet to add these swordsmen to the game, but Putmalk has added the Greek Swordsman graphics to his Ancient World mod, so you could take a look at how he set it up there.

3. Patum333

Patum333 Chieftain

sorry, it isn't a try to add swordsmen from bernie here. I try to make a civ4 unit swordsman to civ 5. Just look the attached files. I tryed to do it like in the tutorials are written. Now I'm stuck.

4. Hulfgar

Hulfgar Chieftain

edit : forget this answer, not up to date anymore.

5. Androrc the Orc

Oh! Sorry then. Did you try taking a look to see if your unit appears under the game's DirectX 9 version? Some converted Civ4 units seem to only appear under that version, for instance the Spatzimaus' the Age of Ascension's Colony Pod.

6. Patum333

Patum333 Chieftain

I believe it's a blend file problem. I tryed to check this out and hope for bernie's help! :blush:

7. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

ok...first of all, GOOD JOB! :goodjob:

i took a look at the files and found a couple of issues.....

first, the fxsxml file had some roman legion stuff in it, that may have been causing part of the problem.

next, your blend to fbx export was not "exact".....the model name is cAp_SeNsItIvE, so writing WORLD_Center will cause the model not to move....took me a while to figure this one out....in this case, it is World_Center" :crazyeye:

the other thing I noticed was for some reason, your dds file was not showing. i loaded the model in asset viewer and got that white and red checkerboard pattern thing.....i noticed that your dds file was "off" on the usual kb size, so i just resaved it using the DXT1 RBG (or) the DXT3 ARBG and IT WORKED!!!!

i dont think the sref file has any thing to do with the file not working in game, but it is easy to make a proper sref, just take your normal color dds, chage the name to the sref, copy and paste as new layer, darken the new layer and erase the areas that are supposed to be "shiny"....

check out the pic on top that illustrates the steps i've mentioned

you will need to go back to your blend and do a proper/corrected fbx export

i have also included a 7z with the new dds, sref and fxsxml for reference...

GOOD LUCK and keep at it!!!

Attached Files:

8. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

wow bernie you really know this stuff. probably should add it as trouble shooting to the How to guide.

9. Patum333

Patum333 Chieftain

THANK'S for your support bernie!:) With your help I hope to finish this work soon. Thank's a lot.:hatsoff:

10. Patum333

Patum333 Chieftain

I got it worked in game, but seems to be fine tuned! The sword looks like a bricklayer's trowel and a shield is still needed.

Attached Files:

11. Nutty

Nutty Chieftain

You've got to carefully line everything up with the template model to make sure it looks OK with the existing animations, as described in this tutorial.

12. Patum333

Patum333 Chieftain

13. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

14. Androrc the Orc

15. Patum333

Patum333 Chieftain

I found out that my old fxsxml doesn't make a difference. The roman legion stuff in it is o.k. I compare it with the vanilla swordsman.fxsxml. So I test the model with the overwritten vanilla fxsxml, and it worked too!
    I'm not sure about the influence of the bone path in the fxsxml, because they are different to the blend file (e.g. <Bone name="HumanRibcage_x"/>) and incomplete too. :crazyeye:

But it worked. So anyone can explain this?:confused:

16. Nutty

Nutty Chieftain

Very nice. :goodjob:

I've found that the .gr2 seems to override <Texture...> and <BoneUsage> in the fxsxml. I'm not sure about the other entries. I suspect that has to do with a difference between the implementation of gr2 that NexusBuddy exports and Firaxis' implementation.

By the way, you didn't rename your sref file, so it will conflict with the existing swordsman3_sref.dds.

17. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

great job! :goodjob:

Ekmek gives me too much credit, i am more an artist, but just wrote the TUT based on what i learned from others that know much more than i...

18. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

could this be why its invisible at times? the nexusbuddy gr2 overrides the texture and bones???

19. danrell

danrell Chieftain

<Bone name="HumanRibcage_x"/> used for the effect.

20. Nutty

Nutty Chieftain