Civilization V Announced!

I am somewhat puzzled by the dismay that Civ5 might be different from Civ4 in gameplay. Is all we want a Civ4 with prettier graphics?

dV

well, thats a big NO. back when civ4 came out we all had our rabid doubts of how well all the changes were to affect gameplay.

and for me the great factor left unattended in CIV its warfare, so im very positive that firaxis its taking it head on, the SOD needs to die.

im confident that they will come up with a solution that works, this is one of the very very few game companies that i trust with my eyes closed,: gameplay first, gameplay last.

Preventing units from stacking is not the way to stop the SOD, but yes. I not-so-fondly remember the silliness of sending giant waves of Tanks and Infantry against giant waves of Tanks and Infantry, and it's kind of stupid.

I just can't believe how this game has evolved from a simple turn base chess like software to a respected and critically aclaimed strategy game. I remember to spend hours in front of my first computer playing civ 1 back in 1995 and civ 2 as well.

Wow this game has been on my side each moment of my life, when i finished high school in 2002, when i get in university in 2005. And i played all. I am certainly going to get this version as soon it is available.

Was Civ 4 released on the original date it was supposed to? Seems like it wasn't from the discussion above.

:dunno: maybe there were some delays but the original announcements from the beginning of 2005 I can find say "late 2005" and they did meet that :mischief:

:w00t: Civ5! I wonder if it'll have both an editor and XML/Python? That'll be great!

Im a little late but I have been waiting for Civ5 ever since I found out what a big fail Civ4 is. And to see hexagon tiles in the game, thats even better:D. I knew they had people peeking in these forums now and again:crazyeye:. Well I just hope the AI, combat, and gameplay has been more of the focus this time. I also got a new 4gig ram computer to handle it, nice:). As an added bounus I also hope they have circular maps. For some up down traveling.

As an added bounus I also hope they have circular maps. For some up down traveling.

That would be nice, and also perhaps traveling across ice to get to the top of the other continents quicker in the early phases of the game!:D

Ahh well nice to dream:crazyeye:

DD

That would be nice, and also perhaps traveling across ice to get to the top of the other continents quicker in the early phases of the game!:D

Ahh well nice to dream:crazyeye:

DD

I agree. Although Unrealistic as who traveled to anartica in ancient times:lol:, it could make for some interesting gameplay. Mabye an on off option in menu. Or a tech that allows you to ravel there?

I agree. Although Unrealistic as who traveled to anartica in ancient times:lol:, it could make for some interesting gameplay. Mabye an on off option in menu. Or a tech that allows you to ravel there?

Or even an event (if they keep those) try to setup a base of sometype...:)

Well while I was thinking about pass civ games, do you think its possible in anyway assuming that we hear about SDI's and Spaced based weaponry etc. That civ could expand into space and, I'm talking about around the atmosphere of the planet or even colonization of the moon?

Just thinking about how we always seemed glued to the surface.

One unit to a tile only? That is clearly rubbish. My guess is that they put individual units in tiles to make those screenshots look more pretty or the armies more 'epic.'

It must be rubbish because are you saying you couldnt have more than one unit to defend a city?

One unit to a tile only would mean that all battles pre modern age would take place over dozens of different tiles representing hundreds of kilometeres of land area, something that would be terribly unrealistic and just plain stupid.

That is surely the worst idea of all time for Civ and I hope not true.

Sure the stack of doom sounds unsavoury, but at least It's more realistic than spreading forces out over multiple tiles representing hundreds of km.

If CivV gets battle right, it will put in zones of control for military units and have supply lines. Meaning you will still have your stacks but you will need units to guard your supply lines and flanks too.

Military zones of control would also take the battles out of the cities and put them on the battlefields where they should be. Civilizations would try and prevent further ingress of their territory and take the fight outside the cities.

City warfare could still play an important part of the game. I believe that invading forces should be able to cut off supply lines to the city and starve the citizens and defenders.

Forts should also have some zone of control in the game, especially against city states. Forts should be able to be upgradeable to Keeps, Castles, Star Forts, Military bases, etc.

Btw im back after a few years on announcement of this news :) Funny I was thinking today...hmmm look up Civ5...maybe theres news? And I see an official website link and view it, and now im here. Amazed to say the least. This has been a long time coming.

Things I hope are in the game...

- Military zones of control
- Supply Lines
- Greater more involved democracy
- Naval battles please! The game has never had a good sea warfare component. If they put more focus on sea trade and resources the naval warfare could ramp up considerably. I want to see great naval armada battles.
- Bring back Airfields, for strategic placing of air power.
- I have never been a fan of Civ4 click click promotion system...How about having a system where the units gain battle experience in certain types of warfare. Warrior sucessfully attacking a city gains 1+ city warfare experience. Gain 10-12 of these points overall among your forces and your military gains common knowledge, and from now on all new units start off with +1 city warfare experience. This can be balanced to prevent over pointing new units. Maybe also put in bonuses like free units, abilities, etc.
- I would like to see different representations for Naval and Airforce like seperate bases, academies, different representation on city screen (Military - Barracks, Navy - Naval Port, Airforce - Airfield.)
- Making units like archers and catapults not overly powerful units in and of themself, but hold their value as complimentary units to warfare. Please no shooting range of 2 tiles for archers and no suicidal siege engines.
- Keep in random events and quests. Loved it. Though should have more options to avoid bad disasters.
- Hated corporations and dont want to see it again.
- All for having religions back but want to see an exiciting new direction for the game. The way they focused on diplomacy was unbalanced and annoying. Sure they might factor in somewhat but theres no reason why two different religions automatically have to hate each other.
- Make the espionage system easier to control and manage. No more movable spy units. A simple click of the espionage button would revert the screen to "espionage mode" where you can easily assign points to different rival cities (or your own for counter espionage) and areas and carry out missions.
- Quantities for resources. 1 Gold mine should pump out 1 ton of gold every number of turns, and you can trade this in certain amounts to rivals. It should also factor in to how many units you can support. Eg. 1 horse resource supports only 10 horse units. This would make diplomacy and acquiring new land essential for growing an even larger and more supportive empire.

These are my hopes...

Perhaps, cities aren't defended by units, but have an intrinsic defense ability that increases over time. That would explain the lack of garrisons.

Grafics look great (though on the Bismarck screenshot, I'd say they forgot to add the fat cigar to his hand, which is just in a wierd position).

I'm sad to see that they are STILL stuck on using tiles for movements, terrains, etc... I'd really like to see a Civ game which just used pixels or whatever intead of tiles. This way unit movement, city radius, improvements, terrains, resources, etc. could be much more varied and realitic (and fun). Not to mention you would finally be able to make a spherical map, rather than cylindrical. Changing squares for hexagons relly doesn't make much difference...

If anyone has ever played Freeciv on linux, they had an interesting system with hexagonal tiles instead of squares. As for the city footprint, it had 18 workable tiles - 6 around the center, then 3 on each side and 3 above and 3 below. The screenshots show some interesting shapes for the boarders, though, I wonder how cultural spread will work?

Cheers

One unit to a tile only? That is clearly rubbish.

I agree but I think that they may have improved the stacked unit graphics to show a mix of the units on that tile instead of just the top-most unit. I think that would be pretty awesome. But I don't think they've removed stack attacks for the reasons you stated and more. It just doesn't make sense, especially with them already reducing the number of adjacent tiles (6 from 8). No, if anything the preview screens have just what Civ 4 has, the topmost unit showing. There is no extra information at all on the screen so how do we know these aren't stacks?

One unit to a tile only? That is clearly rubbish. My guess is that they put individual units in tiles to make those screenshots look more pretty or the armies more 'epic.'

They did the same in CIV screenshots... Even on the game's retail box!

Look at Tiger Woods golf games for a good example... they bury people in news about what is new... in reality the games are close to exactly the same for each yearly iteration now, and not even worth buying anymore.

Don't worry, the 2010 version will have bonus XXX features that will actually be NEW :lol:

Narmox,
also back after seeing news of this, and glad to see some other oldies have come around, too!

I have it on good information on five of the new civs in CIV V, open the spoiler to find out
Spoiler :
America
China
Rome
Egypt
Greece:p

I didn't see Rome or Greece and I thought that that was definitely Japan, rather than China.

Top Bottom