[NFP] Civilization VI: New Frontier Pass Discussion Thread

Eagle Pursuit

Per Scribendum, Volo
https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/1259860819946414080?s=19

A year's worth of content beginning May 21st.

Maya
Gran Colombia
Ethiopia
Apocalypse mode
Secret Societies mode
New units - Soothsayer
4 New buildings
2 New districts
New city-states
New resources
8 total civs with leaders
1 new alt-leader
New Natural Wonders - Paititi, Bermuda Triangle, Fountain of Youth
New World Wonders

A place to Discuss the New Frontier Pass

Moderator Action: Please Note: This is not the place to discuss possible new civilizations, you may receive a thread ban if you ignore this

god this thing is EXPENSIVE. Am I the only one holding off until at least half of the contents have been revealed?

god this thing is EXPENSIVE. Am I the only one holding off until at least half of the contents have been revealed?

Yea, right now I'm also kind of wondering why I need to shell out 40 bucks for a giant mystery box of unconfirmed content.

I think it's a bit of a mistake on Firaxises part to not at least reveal all the Civs ahead of time, if they expect people to pay upfront and not just wait for the content to actually be released before paying. I'm going to buy it eventually no doubt, but it's really not a very attractive offer at the moment.

Yea, right now I'm also kind of wondering why I need to shell out 40 bucks for a giant mystery box of unconfirmed content.

I think it's a bit of a mistake on Firaxises part to not at least reveal all the Civs ahead of time, if they expect people to pay upfront and not just wait for the content to actually be released before paying. I'm going to buy it eventually no doubt, but it's really not a very attractive offer at the moment.

Is it really the civs? You would decline to buy it if it had Azerbaijan instead of Portugal? Personally, I'm always up for adding civs, even if they don't match my playstyle. I like a diversity of opponents.

It seems like the information they're really missing is descriptions of all the Modes.

You're almost certainly not the only one, but I will note that the amount of content seems likely to match about what you would get in an expansion, and the individual packs are likely to be at least $2 more combined (if not more). Meanwhile I know I am going to buy every pack, if for no other reason than that I think a civ alone is worth $5 and there are 8 of them, plus a leader, plus two personas. I might as well get them together.

I'm hoping they reveal details gradually throughout the content cycle (so in July we may find out what's coming in September) but I'm not sure they will when leaving details unrevealed drums up more hype. The fact that we are two days from release and still barely know anything about Apocalypse Mode isn't very encouraging.

I also accept that schmucks like me who will be happy to pay up front now on the basis that I will probably like almost anything this pass could contain won't be helping ;)

I've preordered the Deluxe version & both expansions before knowing what all the content was going to be. Why? Because I've never been disappointed with the entertainment value I get from FXS Civilization products. This is going to be no different.
Same here - pretty much the only developer I still preorder content from these days.

I've preordered the Deluxe version & both expansions before knowing what all the content was going to be. Why? Because I've never been disappointed with the entertainment value I get from FXS Civilization products. This is going to be no different.

Agreed! I also enjoyed trying out new mechanics as they are released, incrementally. Think it helped me understand the game better and appreciate the new additions more.

It's not so expensive; same price as GS. I trust Firaxis to deliver high quality and I've never been let down. I also want any and all content for Civ VI I can get my hands on. Finally I want my purchase to be a show of support to the team that I appreciate this extended development cycle and would like them to continue this in the future.

I'm totally buying it entirely at the beginning.

Firaxis is, with Paradox, the big game companies I trust entirely. Even with Rise and Fall, that added some things I was not entirely fan of, it was worth every penny. Comparing time passed on the game/money spent, Civilization V and VI are totally the games with the best benefits. They have my entire trust because they proove they were listening to the players and fanbase.

I bought some games in Alpha because they seemed promising and I was eager to try them nonetheless and it was good decisions, while I knew nothing about 89/90% of what will be in the game and having nothing to base my trust on beside the good faith of the devs and the rare gameplay elements already released. On the other hand, Firaxis is a company that prooved that they did a lot of good work and I'll want all of it, even if some things are not what I love best.

But I trust them, especially because this new system is risky but will allow them to continuously improve, balance and fix the game, way better than the 2-a-year patches we had before.

They don't seem to be taking orders yet anywhere, quite puzzling to me.
I wonder if they're waiting until Gran Colombia's reveal (hopefully in a little over an hour)?

Definitely buying the pack in one go: it'll make the later DLC's feel like gifts because the money has been spend that long ago.

I'm hoping that in the DLC-free months the devs will tease us with a mysterious silhouette or something of that kind about the upcoming content.

I wonder if they're waiting until Gran Colombia's reveal (hopefully in a little over an hour)?
They have announced there is no pre-order. You will be able to buy the pass when the first piece becomes available.

They have announced there is no pre-order. You will be able to buy the pass when the first piece becomes available.
Ah, thank you. I'd missed that.

I guess I’ll probably buy it.

I wish they would do something to make finishing a game more exciting. Right now it just sort of ends and you see couple graphs and that’s it. No visual summary of your map over time like in previous games. No record of major events. It just sort of ends.... boooooring.

Top Bottom