[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

I agree with you on that one. Australia's ability was much more thematic. I was thinking in terms of which civ has the most mechanically interesting rather than thematically interesting. There I think Canada's theme of pacifist tundra lover has more interesting design possibilities than cities being better on the coast. But that's a judgement call.

I have wondered how Aussies feel about one of their civ's abilities being "likes to build stuff over the top of sites of natural beauty" though...Accurate for all modern civs but still a bit on the nose.

Yeah those are fair comments, and in tbe post apocalyptic future who knows what will come from today's nation states... I personally think both are distinctive enough to warrant being separate civs, but maybe my bar is very low.

2. Yudhisthira

Yudhisthira Chieftain

Jerusalem as city-state is fine but Jews deserve civilization not just because of only religion(which looks thou fundamental part of their identity) but as distinct people/ethnicity.
    I mean there are many christian,muslim majority civs, so vatican city is fine,Similarly there is Arabic civilization with Mecca as capital but Jerusalem city-state as sole representation for Jews, it doesn't seems fair.

untitledjuan and Zaarin like this.
  3. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

I'm sympathetic, but there are hurdles to overcome:
    • The Jews only really had two countries, Muslims and Christians have way more than that today, never mind in the past. It's not surprising that they have more civs present.
    • What would you make capital? If it's Jerusalem, you upset a good portion of the Arab world, pick any other city and you upset the Jews. Firaxis isn't in the business of rocking the boat by being controversial in that way anymore, from what people say.
    • Notice that the Muslim and Christian civs aren't included because they're Muslim or Christian respectively. I mean, I'm not saying that Israel shouldn't be included, less influential civs have been (ahem, *Scotland*), but they're not going to be included on the grounds of being Jewish, and that's how it should be.
    I'd love to have them in, but I wonder if Firaxis is brave enough to rock that boat.

4. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

If we can't get an Israel or Judah civ, the next best way to represent them would be by having a system that includes ethnicity and minority populations. Jews have, after all, been a minority population pretty much everywhere.

Taken altogether, if I have to choose between a Phoenicia and Israel civ, I pick Phoenicia hands down. In a bit of historic irony, the Jews became far more influential after they lost their state than with it. Both the kingdoms of Judah and Samaria were small and economically, militarily, and culturally dominated by their neighbors, but Jewish exiles became prominent merchants, professionals, and intelligentsia in the Persian and Hellenistic worlds and beyond.

5. Yudhisthira

Yudhisthira Chieftain

Just to make it clear, my point was in response to @Jeppetto point of Jerusalem presence for Jewish representation & its comparison with Vatican & Mecca.

Yes I fully agree that there are no Muslim & Christians civs & that's why I used term 'Christian majority' civ thou on the other hand both of these religions r universal religion but Judaism is ethnic religion much more uniquely attached to distinct culture tradition of Jewish people.

Thats a fair point but I wonder if we can choose another ancient city. Honestly I don't know how will people react to it. But to me it looks like at least having something than nothing.

Zaarin likes this.
  6. Zaarin

Of the two kingdoms, the Kingdom of Israel (Samaria) was the richer and more influential, and it would have Samaria as its capital. That being said, Jewish rabbis insist to this day that Samaritans aren't Jews and Samaritanism isn't Judaism so...(Samaritans do have a slightly different canon and different rituals, customs, and traditions.)

Yudhisthira likes this.
  7. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I can see Macedon being folded back into Greece easily making room for more new European civs. Hard for me to see both Hungary and Austria getting in, but I wouldn't mind. I feel like we'd get more new ones than these. I'd throw in the Goths as a possibility and a Frankish civ with Charlemagne as possibilities.

Yeah Haiti being a Francophone nation getting in over Canada is a stretch, but one I would welcome. :mischief:

I'd be surprised if we get two Spanish speaking colonial nations in the future? I think they are more interchangeable at least than the others and can easily see Argentina or Mexico instead of Gran Colombia.

I'd love this roster.

What are chances that we get two Polynesian civs? The Maori are definitely a favorite and I could see them returning but have a different playstyle of being more militaristic/inland. That way Hawaii or some other culture could get the early seafaring bonuses.

How about all three Mesopotamian civs (Sumer, Babylon, Assyria) as well as the Hittities? :mischief:

You forgot Mongolia. :p
    I like this roster as well with a more modern Siam, as opposed to another medieval SEA civ. Mughals are definitely a stretch but I think it could be feasible even with an Indian civ with multiple leaders. One of the capitals was Lahore. Alternatively they could go with Babur with the Timurids from Samarkand or Kabul and focus on conquering other cities instead of founding them if city list would be a problem.

One thing that is often overlooked is how Australia is also a good desert civ once they are able to unlock their Outback Stations. Having at least 2 food and 2 production on all of your flat desert tiles in the late game is great.

8. Zaarin

Bohemia, please! :D

Yes. Throw in Elam for good measure. :mischief:

9. Alexander's Hetaroi

You spelled Romania wrong. :p

We probably need a Mesopotamian city-state at least. :lol:

10. Zaarin

Prague. Defenestration. Hussites. War carts. :p

Well, Akkad is a weird fit on Sumer's list and doesn't belong on Babylon's or Assyria's so that's an option. Strictly speaking they're in Syria, but Mari or Ebla would be a couple others. And Urkesh, the great city of the Hurrians, was indeed a city-state in the technical sense. So there are still plenty of options. :p

11. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Palmyra is another good option for a city-state, since they’re still a long shot as a potential new civ.

12. Zaarin

True, but it's likely to be on Arabia's city-list as Tadmur. On the other hand, Aleppo is on Arabia's city list twice so why not make it an Arabian city and a city-state? :p As far as city-states to represent Aram go, taking into consideration that Damascus and Aleppo aren't really options, Tadmur's probably the best choice. (Ebla and Mari were in Syria, but they spoke the East Semitic Eblaite language.)

13. Menocchio

Menocchio Warlord

Given Constantinople and Istanbul (and the continuing Anshan/Babylon bug...), Firaxis does not seem to have many qualms about representing the same city twice but with different names.

14. Zaarin

There are several instances of that, and if they're on different civs' city lists I'm okay with that. Having Aleppo and Ḥalab both on Arabia's city list, however, is just embarrassing. :lol:

15. Alexander's Hetaroi

https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Roman_cities_(Civ6)#:~:text=Capital: Rome Possible City Names: ,of the Adriatic 26 more rows
    Palmyra has actually been on the city list for Rome since the base game. It's way down the list so it most likely has never been seen by many unless they get close to 20 cities. :)

16. Zaarin

17. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I was thinking Etruscans. They had a good small civ with good architecture skills (the dome) that the Romans were able to get and for vanilla because they started out when Rome was small.

18. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

They also have the luck of having a deciphered language.

19. Zaarin

I think the Etruscans would be very interesting, but I'm not sure we know enough about them. In particular, what we know of their language is very fragmentary, and a lot of what we know of their culture and politics comes from (hostile) Roman myths. I wish Humankind would include both Minoa and Etruria as civs that would be very hard to depict in Civ but are prime candidate for HK cultures (as they already did with Harappa and Olmecs).

20. Birch617

Birch617 Warlord

The only other civ that could maybe see in game that was of Jewish Majority would be a Simien civ lead by Gudit

Yudhisthira likes this.