1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

I think people overestimate how important the Cree event was. It was one headman, who didn't speak for the entire Cree nation, and who had a political agenda to push. Many people probably never heard about it. The Poundmaker Singers seemed very enthusiastic about the portrayal of their people. It seems probable the Haida asked not to be included or else the devs ran into some problem incorporating them, but obviously they were able to make things work with the Cree. Likewise, the Tewa asked not to be included, but clearly they were able to make it work with the Shoshone instead. A few years ago the Mohawk Tribal Council worked with Ubisoft on Assassin's Creed III. Tribes like the Iroquois, Sioux, and Cherokee are accustomed to media attention, which may make their inclusion likelier.

TL;DR: The Cree thing wasn't that important, and I'm confident we'll see another Native American civ.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  2. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I would agree with this notion, with the important caveat that I'm not confident about within this Frontier Pass.

Meluhhan, Thenewwwguy and Zaarin like this.
  3. Zaarin

My instincts make me feel confident we will. Civ5 had two Native American civs (Iroquois, Shoshone), which makes me think it's highly likely that they'd want to match that for Civ6, and at this point we can't be certain that they have any plans beyond New Frontier.

Kjimmet, Inawordyes, Hoppip22 and 3 others like this.
  4. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I have mentioned this before but I believe us getting Napoleon's Imperial Garde was their way of giving us Napoleon in the game, but not as a leader. Same thing with Elizabeth and her Sea Dogs.

I was optimistic about a third expansion, but I don't know if they would want to do anything else after the Pass. So, in my opinion, I think it's now or never because we are going to be at 50 civs in the game after New Frontier is over.

Zaarin likes this.
  5. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

I’m hoping the Tlingit or Navajo or Salish make it.

6. cosmicmangobear

cosmicmangobear Warlord

I desperately want to believe that we'll get another NA civ, but I'm almost positive we'll get Italy instead. The Mapuche may have prevented the possibility of getting a sixth indigenous New World faction.

Meluhhan likes this.
  7. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I'm quite late to this thread, but I'd like to see these civs:
    Babylon, Byzantine, Portugese
    I would be keen to see a Crusader States civ, the crusades certainly left their mark on Europe and the Mediterranean even to this day.
    Then I'm kind of ambivalent about the rest - any of Celtic, Iroquois, Irish, Italians (like Florence - renaissance era).

For the alternate leader I was hoping for Isabella / Spain (in tandem with the Portugal civ). However there's plenty of scope for China, America (Lincoln?), England (Churchill? Henry V?) to have a different leader. China in particular might be able to have a shared leader with Mongolia if Kublai Khan was picked.

I only learned recently that Abraham Lincoln used to hunt vampires as a hobby.

8. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I should say, I am not convinced they will decide to do more in Civ VI. Also, while culturally fairly distinct, the Maya are geographically North American (as is all of Central America), at least as viewed in the US and Canada.

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I agree. The conundrum I am ruminating on is whether they go back to the Iroquois well for the third time or pick virtually any of the other Native American tribes.

Hoppip22 and Zaarin like this.
  10. Zaarin

I know they're a popular fan choice and that Firaxis seems to be in wish-fulfillment mode, but I'm still skeptical about Italy myself. Of course, I'm not very interested in Italy and very interested in another Native American civ so I freely admit to being biased. However, the thought that the Mapuche might encroach on another Native North American civ had occurred to me, too.

I don't think the Crusader States were culturally distinct enough to be worth making their own civ; have France conquer several of Saladin's or Suleiman's (yes, I know they were Seljuks not Ottomans) cities and you've got the Crusader States. (Melisende of Jerusalem is nevertheless one of my favorite historical personages no one has ever heard of. :D )

Anthropologically, North America is always considered to begin at the Rio Grande, as distinct from Mesoamerica. (Geographically, of course, you're correct.)

I think Iroquois are certainly the safe choice. Politically they were important, they have leader choices, and, as I said, they're accustomed to media attention. I'm very curious if they'll make the safe choice or try something new. (I wouldn't be sorry to see them return, especially as I thought their Civ5 portrayal was lacking, even though I'd also be very excited to see someone new.)

11. dafunk10

dafunk10 Chieftain

My wish list for the 5 new unnamed civs is Assyria, Iroquois, Vietnam, Babylon, and Portugal.

Would also like more scenarios, although the devs don’t seem that interested in them. The crisis of the Roman 3rd century, Roman civil war of the fall of the republic, 2nd Punic war, the fall of Assyria, bronze dark age, world wars, age of exploration and the new world, etc.

Veras and Zaarin like this.
  12. cosmicmangobear

cosmicmangobear Warlord

If we do get Haudenosaunee, I hope they are called as such and we get Aliquippa as leader.

13. Zaarin

I'm hoping for Thayendanegea myself.

Buthera and cosmicmangobear like this.
  14. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

Everytime i see someone saying this I pray they make a "greek dressed Cleopatra" skin

VermelhoRed likes this.
  15. Alexander's Hetaroi

At this point I've come to the realization that for me it's probably going to be one or the other and I don't know which one to choose.

I'm leaning towards Italy being less likely at this point because I don't see us getting three European civs when most likely Portugal and probably the Byzantines will be in the pass.

Plus we have enough Civs now for an Americas TSL map and it didn't come with Pack 1. That's why I'm guessing the Native North American Civ will be in pack 6 because it comes with a new map type.

Zaarin likes this.
  16. Zaarin

I would have preferred they'd done so in the first place, since it's most certainly how she actually dressed and presented herself in real life.

Kjimmet, Inawordyes, Hoppip22 and 4 others like this.
  17. Alexander's Hetaroi

As long as it comes with "Greek looking" sphinx improvements.

18. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

I like Portugal as a pick.

I’m fine with Babylon and Vietnam, although I’d prefer Assyria and the Philippines respectively.

I don’t think Italy is necessary at all, and as a united civ as opposed to many city states, feels superfluous and unnecessary.

If I had to pick between Italy and a native civ, I’d pick the natives every time.

For me, I hope it’ll be

GC, Maya, Ethiopia, Portugal, Vietnam/Philippines, Assyria/Babylon, Timurids/Chola/Oman, Salish/Tlingit/Nez Perce and Kublai Khan

Basically all contemporary art also depicted her topless, so the way she actually dressed probably wouldn’t be acceptable in civ, although I do understand what you mean.

19. Zaarin

That's because contemporary art depicted her as the goddess Isis. :p Much like how Hatshepsut probably didn't wear the fake beard, Cleopatra probably didn't dress in an Egyptian sheath skirt.

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  20. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

ok so Lahore being a military city state means Ghaznavids are pretty much guaranteed to not be a civ