[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

For a Welsh UU I've always thought it should be the Men's Chorus, taken from the Blackadder quote:

"Bands of great hairy men terrorizing the countryside with their close-harmony singing . . ."

Given that it was the southern Welsh that were famous for using the longbow, Cardiff would be an appropriate City State with a Longbowman UU, which would require converting the current Cardiff City State in the game.
It'd make that City-State actually worth being Suzerain of. :p

Agreed, but the broch is Pictish, not Scots.
But brochs are pretty much only found in what we now call Scotland. The Picts are part of Scotland's history, and aren't likely to get their own Civ any time soon.

But brochs are pretty much only found in what we now call Scotland. The Picts are part of Scotland's history, and aren't likely to get their own Civ any time soon.
Sure, but it's kind of like giving England a Roman Bath UI or the USA a Teepee UI. The Scots were still in Ireland when the brochs were built. I'd suggest a Barmkin would be something similar that would be more Scottish.

Sure, but it's kind of like giving England a Roman Bath UI or the USA a Teepee UI. The Scots were still in Ireland when the brochs were built. I'd suggest a Barmkin would be something similar that would be more Scottish.

Save the Broch for the Picts, but also the Barmkin was basically a wall around another structure to make it into a Scots version of a Castle, and in fact the Scots official order to build them dates from 1535 CE (so, "Renaissance" Era) and specifically requires people of a certain income to build them, so it's exactly equivalent (if a little late) to the Medieval Castle.
A better and peculiarly Scots structure, IMHO, would be the Pele or Peel Tower, which was a fortified building used to guard the Scots border with England (and also, to be completely accurate, built on the English side of the border to guard against Scots' raiders). What would make it unique as a Fort structure is that many were later converted into other purposes ranging from Bed and Breakfasts to vicarge residences to parts of larger Manor Houses, so they could 'advance' to have a Tourism/Cultural effect after becoming obsolete as fortifications.

And it's still better than a golf course.

Save the Broch for the Picts, but also the Barmkin was basically a wall around another structure to make it into a Scots version of a Castle, and in fact the Scots official order to build them dates from 1535 CE (so, "Renaissance" Era) and specifically requires people of a certain income to build them, so it's exactly equivalent (if a little late) to the Medieval Castle...And it's still better than a golf course.
Yeah, that's kind of my point. There's not really anything special about a barmkin--it's a fortified manor, essentially, which is the very picture of Medieval Europe--but it's still better than a golf course. And it's also better than a broch, which wasn't built by the Scots.

I certainly understand why they went for the Golf Course though. It's something undeniably Scottish, memeworthy and clichématronic as its inclusion was. I wouldn't have minded a fortified castle however, as long as it would invoke ~Scotland~ in a similar fashion

I certainly understand why they went for Golf Course though. It's something undeniable Scottish, memeworthy and clichématronic as its inclusion was. I wouldn't have minded a fortified castle however, as long as it would invoke ~Scotland~ in a similar fashion
Sure, and as far as meme UIs go it's not the worst. If they wanted a meme UI for Canada, I still think the Sugar Shack would have been infinitely more interesting than the Hockey Rink. Oh, well.

I certainly understand why they went for Golf Course though. It's something undeniable Scottish, memeworthy and clichématronic as its inclusion was. I wouldn't have minded a fortified castle however, as long as it would invoke ~Scotland~ in a similar fashion
And as @Alexander's Hetaroi once mentioned, modern-day golf's origins are in Scotland. So it's not the worse thing to have as Scotland's UI.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/scotland-revised.665766/
Here's a good thread where the discussion can continue.

Looking at previous update announcement vids dates... The Vietnam + Kublai announcement should come on Monday - 11th January, right?
99.999% probably. There is still a .001% of it not happening, but-oh who am I kidding, yes it will.

Edit: Nevermind... Whoops.

Last edited:
I wonder how they'll handle the Kublai announcement - alternate leaders haven't much to offer, an ability, new portrait + lines, possibly new leader specific unit. In their announcement, they usually give us the civ + icon. So I suppose they'll show us his leader portrait and name. If they make his ability accidentally apparent like the one of Babylon in the announcement, the only thing the first look might end up giving us is which leader's idle animations does he use :mischief:

I wonder how they'll handle the Kublai announcement - alternate leaders haven't much to offer, an ability, new portrait + lines, possibly new leader specific unit. In their announcement, they usually give us the civ + icon. So I suppose they'll show us his leader portrait and name. If they make his ability accidentally apparent like the one of Babylon in the announcement, the only thing the first look might end up giving us is which leader's idle animations does he use :mischief:
We actually are pretty sure what his Leader Ability is. He gains a Eureka and Inspiration every time he established his first Trading Post in a Foreign Civilization or City-State.

Edit: It's actually just Civilisations, and not City-States, my bad.

Last edited:
We actually are pretty sure what his Leader Ability is. He gains a Eureka and Inspiration every time he established his first Trading Post in a Foreign Civilization or City-State.
Huh? I must have missed that. I've heard about industries and companies, but not about this. Where did this piece of information this come from?

It'd make that City-State actually worth being Suzerain of. :p
The longbowmen or the choir? :p

Yeah, that's kind of my point. There's not really anything special about a barmkin--it's a fortified manor, essentially, which is the very picture of Medieval Europe--but it's still better than a golf course. And it's also better than a broch, which wasn't built by the Scots.
To be honest it looks like they purposely made the building on the golf course look like a Scottish fortified manor, which is another reason why I am okay with it being the UI.

Looking at previous update announcement vids dates... The Vietnam + Kublai announcement should come on Monday - 11th January, right?
Wouldn't we have heard by now that they were releasing a video on Monday though?
Maybe it will be the 18th.

Edit: It's actually just Civilisations, and not City-States, my bad.
It's not confirmed, but likely considering it will go with the economy game mode.
That info was also found back in July and hasn't been used yet.

Sure, and as far as meme UIs go it's not the worst. If they wanted a meme UI for Canada, I still think the Sugar Shack would have been infinitely more interesting than the Hockey Rink. Oh, well.

Canadians that want to make maple syrup come to Vermont to learn how. I don't see that as a Canadian ui.

Canadians that want to make maple syrup come to Vermont to learn how. I don't see that as a Canadian ui.
A lot of UI aren't unique. There are film studios all over the world. Poor Tamar got city walls. However, maple tapping has been going on in the regions where sugar maples grow since before Europeans arrived so it would have worked for me. Of course, my favorite candidate for a Canadian unique would have been leaving it as a city-state. :mischief:

Top Bottom