[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

The fact that the leader is a R&F exclusive alt. leader means it will exclude a portion of the base anyway that didn't purchase it, unlike the other alt. leaders.
2K/Firaxis will have stats on purchases, so they'd know whether or not it was worth excluding a certain section of players. I would think the majority of active and higher-playtime players have all or most of the content, so it's likely not a particularly great loss.

If not, then perhaps tomorrow. There's a limited number of business days between now and Pack 1 release.
Like @Cerilis I just assumed it would drop in c.45 minutes from now as that was when the announcement was made yesterday. I had forgotten that First Looks haven't followed that pattern.

I was hoping for a First Look today, another on Thursday and then maybe a livestream next week before launch. That might have been optimistic.

Like @Cerilis I just assumed it would drop in c.45 minutes from now as that was when the announcement was made yesterday. I had forgotten that First Looks haven't followed that pattern.

I was hoping for a First Look today, another on Thursday and then maybe a livestream next week before launch. That might have been optimistic.

The day is still not over. And wednesday or thursday might be just as likely. As much as i like to see a new leader pop up on twitter. I am most interested in the patch notes to estimate the scale of the next update. Or a hourly dev stream.

I don't know if they will do a livestream at all. If so, it will likely be just one dev playing on their home rig.

2K/Firaxis will have stats on purchases, so they'd know whether or not it was worth excluding a certain section of players. I would think the majority of active and higher-playtime players have all or most of the content, so it's likely not a particularly great loss.
Right, I was just implying that there is a possibility of Kublai Khan as the new alt leader for both Mongolia and China. Rise and Fall could still be needed for him, even if you wanted to play China as him. His leader ability could deal with Golden/Dark Ages or Loyalty.

I was just bumming that I didn't have much to look forward to over the next few months outside of a ton of projects at work.

Then this drops out of the blue. I'm so happy :D

Putting in a guess just for fun, and in the case that I’m right:

I do think Vatican is a bad sign for Italy.

Mayans will have Lady Six Skies and I’m going to go with Holkan spearman that also has a ranged attack.
And I guess for GC somebody saw a cavalry unit?

Pack 3:
To continue with their continent-based theme,
Byzantium - Justinian (twitter post), interaction with disasters (due to the plague and twitter post) and hopefully secret societies, which I am excited about. UU cataphract, and I guess basilica (in either religious or government district or as a district replacement) or hippodrome (arena replacement)?
Gaul - Vercingetorix, some type of swordsman replacement, hill fort. Would love a fresh take in terms of civ design for this.

Pack 4:
North American tribe, my guess is Apache or something in SW USA, as that region is empty. But Geronimo fits the big personality mantra. Hogan as replacement for shrine?

Pack 5:
Portugal - I’m guessing Maria again due to the desire for female leaders. I think this is a heavy hitter they will want to save for the end. Nau/carrack makes sense.
Mongolia - alt leader Kublai
This combo comes with overhauls to trade based on these two civs/leaders.

Pack 6:
Babylon. Honestly here I am not sure about UB or UU, but hope they diverge from the walls/bowman combo which is boring and old.

Lisbon replaced by Venice
Palenque replaced by Teotihuacan
Antioch replaced by Genoa
Babylon replaced by Tunis
Akkad replaced by Assur

New city states:
Vatican - religious
Kathmandu - religious (or something representing Sikh religion like Srinagar)
Copenhagen - scientific
Prague - scientific
Milan - militaristic
Hanoi - militaristic
Marrakech - commercial
Ragusa - commercial
Baku - industrial
Turin - industrial
Florence - cultural
Havana - cultural

Right, I was just implying that there is a possibility of Kublai Khan as the new alt leader for both Mongolia and China. Rise and Fall could still be needed for him, even if you wanted to play China as him. His leader ability could deal with Golden/Dark Ages or Loyalty.
OK, finally I think I understand. We got there in the end!

I was starting to think I was going mad :crazyeye:

Anyone wonder if lifespan of a unit might be an effort to make units degrade over time (possibly reversible), such that you can't only rely on unused units from the beginning of the game as a defense you only need to upgrade in the future- that is, it adds a pressure to continue building units?

OK, finally I think I understand. We got there in the end!

I was starting to think I was going mad :crazyeye:
To make it a bit more confusing, abilities from R&F mechanics could also be accessed by having GS (which includes non-civ and leader changes from R&F).

So, were it only abilities that require those mechanics, it would be an either-or dependency.

That said, Firaxis has been a little loose with promotional announcements. (Counting Unique Infrastructure as new districts and improvements, but miscounting the total; e.g. not counting leader ability granted things correctly). It wouldn't surprise me, in a Mongolia and China Kublai scenario, if using him without R&F was possible mechanically if you have GS as China, and it hadn't come up when finalizing announcement language.

I honestly, as an italian, would be very annoyed if they represented italy in civ with a Pope, and i think in italy there would be a lot of friction for something like that. So we won't have a pope leading a civ. At least i don't think they would want to risk it.
Papal influence in italy has always been very strong and a lot of people outside of italy would think we would be proud of leading the biggest religion in the world, but it's not true: since unification italian-papal relations have been horrible. The pope for the first 70 years didn't even recognise italy as a country, because of the land that the pope lost during unification, the one who resolved the situation was quite infamously Mussolini. So since the situation till this day is sometimes complicated, and religion is still used as a political weapon and infuriates a lot of italians. Popes will always be a separate thing to italy.
Sorry guys, i've never liked the idea of a pope for leader of an italian civ, and here's why. I hope i'm right in this, and that italy is still not off the table because of vatican city as a city state.

I do think Vatican is a bad sign for Italy.
I hope not. Your list of city-state predictions make it worse. :p

Byzantium - Justinian (twitter post), interaction with disasters (due to the plague and twitter post) and hopefully secret societies, which I am excited about. UU cataphract, and I guess basilica (in either religious or government district or as a district replacement) or hippodrome (arena replacement)?
Please Firaxis don't give them cataphracts. They weren't unique to Byzantium and didn't originate there either. Give them a Dromon UU that can spit greek fire.
North American tribe, my guess is Apache or something in SW USA, as that region is empty. But Geronimo fits the big personality mantra. Hogan as replacement for shrine?
Hogans are more of a Navajo thing and I don't see it replacing a shrine. Bu yes the SW USA is empty, and I would like a North American tribe Civ there.

Babylon. Honestly here I am not sure about UB or UU, but hope they diverge from the walls/bowman combo which is boring and old.
Wall replacement would make no sense in this game because it would become obsolete once you can build Medieval Walls. Since it looks like the Maya are getting a unique campus district I would give Babylon a unique library replacement.
If anything Walls of Babylon would be a good ability instead. Make them start the game with "ancient walls." Once you build the actual ancient walls make them have the strength of medieval walls.

Sorry guys, i've never liked the idea of a pope for leader of an italian civ, and here's why. I hope i'm right in this, and that italy is still not off the table because of vatican city as a city state.
Hopefully you are right. If Italy does get in it won't be lead by a Pope at least.

I really don't think the Vatican City's inclusion means an Italian Civ is unlikely. It's never been part of the modern state of Italy. As for renaissance Italy, you could just as easily exclude the territory of the Papal States (which historically also included Bologna - which, funnily enough, is the only other Italian City-State we currently have in Civ 6) and instead build the Civ around Venice, Genoa, Milan and Florence.

The biggest problem for Italy's inclusion is and has always been the Roman Empire, with Rome as its capital. But if they were to go the route of a renaissance Italy, there's no reason why Rome should have to be the capital. If we can have the Ottoman Empire and Byzantium - as we have done in the past, and seems likely again - I think this is a non-issue.

So please do enlightne me. What else is there?
-Some new skins for leaders
-Some new wonders (dont really affect gameplay do they?)
-Some new city states (oh wow...?)
-Game Mode. I guess that is something for SOME people. Like the Red Dead thing. Personaly i could not care less. Never played it, no interest at all.

And bringing up 39.99 as a a argument for a lack of content... i don't see your point. 40 bucks for what i see is what i would call a "horse armour DLC"

You know what, I was going to bite my tongue but no.

Your logic makes absolutely no sense

- "Some new skins for leaders" - False. The Rough Rider Teddy and Luxurious Catherine both come with new Agendas and Abilities - Therefore, nullifying that this is purely "aesthethic" bonus. The new bonuses open new strategies and force the player to adapt to make the most of those new abilities while adjusting and adapting to the two leader's agendas.
- "Some new wonders" - "Don't really affect gameplay?" What? How? How do they NOT affect gameplay. Building the Oracle, on top of say Pingala COMPLETELY changes the way that specific game is played. Each Wonder has a unique bonus (though some are weaker than the others).
- "Some new city states" - Again, City States in Civ 6 come with unique bonuses, like the Nazca Lines which are one of the most powerful city improvements that GS brought that make non-Petra desert cities worth it.
- "Game Mode" - It's not a scenario, so it is nothing like Read Dead or Black Death. The new Game Mode is a layer that goes on top of your regular mode that adds new smaller mechanics that spice up the game.

So let's now focus on the arguement of 39.99

Let's make the assumption for the sake of arguement, that the two leaders are exclusive to those who get the pass. That means that in total the people who order the pack get about 7 DLCs (including the Persona Pack as the 7th).

That means that each DLC costs roughly 6$. Which, as far as I recall, is the average price fo each DLC anyway.

By buying the 39.99 bundle, you are inherently saving money ANYWAY. Because those bundles usually cost less overall than individually.

So even if all we get are new leaders and civs, that is exactly what we were getting before.

My apologies for still being awake and thus forestalling any new news

Top Bottom