[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Possibly, but my guess is not, since if he could also lead a vanilla Civ, there would be no need to specify that R&F is required.

R&F would be required to get the Mongolian version of Kublai Khan. It can still work fine vanilla for the Chinese version of him.

Possibly, but my guess is not, since if he could also lead a vanilla Civ, there would be no need to specify that R&F is required.
Well he would still need Mongolia as well.

New civs are nothing else than "leader skins" to me.
These " a bunch of new systems which can be toggled on/off" is probably what i am missing. What are they? I can not find information on any new system?? am i that blind?

An apple is not an orange and claiming "it is an orange to me!" doesn't make it so.

There's clearly no intention from your part to be reasonable, so I've no interest to discuss this further.

Well he would still need Mongolia as well.
I don't follow this. Why would they make him R&F-only - knowing that would exclude a portion of the player base - but at the same time create a version of him that could be played with a base game Civ, but still require the expansion to use? It doesn't make any sense at all.

I agree it would be nice to have Kublai able to lead both Mongolia and China, and indeed if they had done that it would have been the perfect way to avoid having the R&F requirement. But there it is, so I'm not sure there's a way to justify this other than wishful thinking.

The Maya Civilization won't be restricted by the Apocalypse mode, and putting them together in the same DLC is likely for flavour. They've made it clear they won't sacrifice historical realism and that the fantasy elements are optional.

It's possible the Maya have an ability related with natural disasters more broadly. If that's the case, then the abilities will be different for Vanilla vs GS players.

I agree with most of that. Seems crazy to have an Alt Leader for a RnF Civ instead of eg China. Oh well.

I really hope one DLC focuses on Ideology and conflict (with some bruising stability mechanics), one focuses on colonialism and colonies / vassals, and one focuses on trade / economy. And I really hope in the updates we get some more governors, more units, and some love for spies (bring back diplomats), religion (more unique religious units), and future tech.
I see people talk about colony mechanics, but I don't understand the appeal. I never played civ 4 colonization, so perhaps I'm missing something. In order to have colonialism in the game you would need certain civs (colonizers) to be technologically far ahead of others (backwards natives). How are you supposed to make this happen while at the same time trying to prevent snowballing?

To make it short: I was surprised when I saw so much of you take the non-release of the DLL as a treason. But, hey, if it's so important for you, you have the right to complain. I'm just not sure if you're vocal enough about it to make it change.
Thanks, now you've given me some ideas to pass the message to a wider audience...

I see people talk about colony mechanics, but I don't understand the appeal. I never played civ 4 colonization, so perhaps I'm missing something. In order to have colonialism in the game you would need certain civs (colonizers) to be technologically far ahead of others (backwards natives). How are you supposed to make this happen while at the same time trying to prevent snowballing?
The game already have Colonial CB to conquer backwards civilizations.

The appeal in colonization is mostly in the race for new land and finding the best spots. You get to do exploration again. It's mostly to do with resources and competing with other colonizers, not so much with the natives.

Terra maps accomplishes this poorly atm so I hope it gets an improvement. Not sure if it needs its own mode.

Thanks, now you've given me some ideas to pass the message to a wider audience...
I haven't played your stuff, but know it's quite an ambitious project. You know the long war devs who made that xcom mod got some sort of deal with firaxis. Maybe you could ask firaxis/2K if something similar would be possible for you.

The appeal in colonization is mostly in the race for new land and finding the best spots. You get to do exploration again. It's mostly to do with resources and competing with other colonizers, not so much with the natives.

Terra maps accomplishes this poorly atm so I hope it gets an improvement. Not sure if it needs its own mode.

Terra maps are fantastic for getting the explore and expand part of the 4x formula going again about mid way through the game. The main problem with them at the moment is that the AI doesn't really comprehend what to do, so more often than not you just get a free continent, even on diety.

Another appeal is how important it was historically. For those of us who like Civ to be a gamified human history simulator, missing out on such an important aspect of human history feels a bit wrong. The main mechanic that massively weaked it was Loyalty. Even using the golden age bonus 'Hic Sunt Dracones' which is supposed to simulate this part of human history, you are going to be facing loyalty problems. But this could be said to simply be a problem with balance rather than needing new mechanics

I'd love to see Italy, but I don't think it's likely it'll be in the Pass. I assume they had the New Frontier Pass Civ selection narrowed down by the time they released Gathering Storm, and if Italy was one of the potential Pass Civs I doubt GS would have added Bologna as a City-State.

Then again, I might be completely wrong, I'm just guessing.

Yeah, since yesterday was dropped at 17:00 CEST, I am expecting First Looks to follow the same pattern.

If not, then perhaps tomorrow. There's a limited number of business days between now and Pack 1 release.

I don't follow this. Why would they make him R&F-only - knowing that would exclude a portion of the player base - but at the same time create a version of him that could be played with a base game Civ, but still require the expansion to use? It doesn't make any sense at all.
The fact that the leader is a R&F exclusive alt. leader means it will exclude a portion of the base anyway that didn't purchase it, unlike the other alt. leaders.

Top Bottom