• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

CivIVor: Beyond the Sword

Do you want to join the game?

• Total voters
Okay, we'll drop the Advanced Start bit, but it means the game won't be up until tomorrow morning.

Okay, we'll drop the Advanced Start bit, but it means the game won't be up until tomorrow morning.
I kinda liked the idea of advanced start...ah well.

Can you have it up within 24 hours of this post? Cuz after that i'm not gonna be in again till thursday evening!

I kinda liked the idea of advanced start...ah well.

Can you have it up within 24 hours of this post? Cuz after that i'm not gonna be in again till thursday evening!

Yeah i liked the idea too, so long as no-one abuses it then its a great way to avoid the tedium of the early turns.

The advanced start isnt meant to be able to give you an empire from the get go, just an advanced start-so like a border pop, a worker, maybe a couple of techs. Not 5 cities equipped with every basic need. I don't see the complications in use, everything is very easy to understand.

About the world builder- i'm still not seeing the struggle there, once you get the hang of it thats incredbly easy as well, everything you need is in one corner.

Jeezumfrikkincrow... :shake:

Okay gang, vote for it: Advanced start, yes or no? You've got 24 hours, and I put up the game with it or without (I'm guessing at the first four votes based on previous posts).

Yes to Advanced start:
Davo
BCLG
VRWC
Robi_D

No to Advanced start: Winner!!
Azza
kanguru
Whomp/Tubby
Robboo
IglooDude

The advanced start isnt meant to be able to give you an empire from the get go, just an advanced start-so like a border pop, a worker, maybe a couple of techs. Not 5 cities equipped with every basic need. I don't see the complications in use, everything is very easy to understand.

Having spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to use advanced starts, I'm convinced this will make it impossible to win unless the player gets a lucky start, especially since we also have No Tech Trading leaving those without the right civ and start technologically behind. If advanced starts are on we should definately have Tech Trading IMO.

Having spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to use advanced starts, I'm convinced this will make it impossible to win unless the player gets a lucky start, especially since we also have No Tech Trading leaving those without the right civ and start technologically behind. If advanced starts are on we should definately have Tech Trading IMO.
I don't wanna spend a month or so just logging in to click enter.

How do you start an advanced start game, I have tried, but have gone nowhere?

I still think that it is a bad idea, since it should be up to the player to get a good start on the game. SO how about an accelerated start instead. :mischief:
@Davo, you could be exploring before pressing enter. ;)

Jeezumfrikkincrow... :shake:

Okay gang, vote for it: Advanced start, yes or no? You've got 24 hours, and I put up the game with it or without (I'm guessing at the first four votes based on previous posts).

Yes to Advanced start:
Davo
BCLG
VRWC

No to Advanced start:
Azza
kanguru

Dude,
It's your game. I'll go with the flow.

How is it involving luck? and how would another civ start more technologically behind than another? sure if someone bought an extra tech but the civ that didnt could have spent there money elsewhere like extra pop.

Theres no difference in doing an advanced start than just playing an extra 40 turns except you miss the mind numbing boredom.

I have no idea why it took so long for you to work out how to use advanced start.

For advanced starts, but not too advanced.

How is it involving luck? and how would another civ start more technologically behind than another? sure if someone bought an extra tech but the civ that didnt could have spent there money elsewhere like extra pop.

Theres no difference in doing an advanced start than just playing an extra 40 turns except you miss the mind numbing boredom.

I have no idea why it took so long for you to work out how to use advanced start.
Agreed.

It's not that hard to figure it out....just start up a new custom game and have advanced start on with 600 points and play about a bit. Take ya 10 mins!

Lads, cut the crap, let da Dude decide :) .

I decided to let majority rule on this one. I noted that I think advanced start would be cool, but it does make a slight bit more work for me (to line a trusted non-player up to verify no one's used the bug to cheat). The reaction to it, and the opposing reaction, have indicated to me that it should be hashed out here first. Playing a game where you feel you got screwed by the rules at the start is no fun, and this is supposed to be fun. :)

Agreed there is 0 luck involved. You dont get a different starting position so ? Advanced start is there for you to further your gameplan; so whatever you plan on doing (harass neighbor, early academy, CS slingshot, axe rush, whatever) buy things in AS that allow you to do that easier and synergize with your civ traits.

The interface is kind of crappy but play around with it. Caveat: I have only played the defense mod and 5 turns of an advanced start Ethiopia game so I dont know all the ins and outs. Its not as bad as WB though for sure.

I'm inclined to say no. If the game is new I'd like to start from new.

Top Bottom