Clashes erupt at Iran mass rally

Aleenik

Deity
Wait what? French Civ Fan is linking an article that isn't Fox News? Yes its true, I am.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8262273.stm

My thoughts-I'm glad that protest are still going on, I don't like the Iranian government for reasons such as supporting terrorism, silencing opposition, possible irregularities during the vote for president in 2009, and their president calling the Holocaust a myth. I am glad there are people going against their government and showing that they want reform in Iran's government.

Article-
Thousands of opposition supporters have clashed with security forces during a government-sponsored rally in Tehran.

Iran's reformists had been warned not to try to turn the pro-Palestinian Quds (Jerusalem) Day marches into anti-government protests.

Reports say opposition leaders Mir-Hossein Mousavi and former President Mohammad Khatami were attacked.

The opposition has been banned from holding rallies since the disputed presidential election in June.

As part of the Quds Day events, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad delivered a speech in which he repeated his view that the Nazi Holocaust was a myth.

Tear gas

The Quds Day rallies are held annually on the last Friday of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

The day began peacefully, with thousands of Mr Ahmadinejad's supporters marching through central Tehran.

But despite warnings by the authorities not to try to hijack the event, protesters shouted slogans in support of Mr Mousavi, a key opponent of the president.

Reports say there were clashes between police and protesters as the march progressed, with some arrests. Stones were thrown, and police used tear gas.

Iranian state-run channel Press TV showed footage of an opposition rally, with many supporters wearing green, the colour adopted by supporters of Mr Mousavi.

Mr Mousavi was forced to leave the rally after his car was attacked, the official Irna news agency reported.

Witnesses said supporters helped Mr Mousavi into his car when hardliners approached and the vehicle sped away as a crowd tried to hold the hardliners back.

Reformist website Parlemennews.ir reported that Mr Khatami was pushed to the ground and his turban knocked off, before police intervened.

In his speech at Tehran University, Mr Ahmadinejad again criticised the creation of Israel.

British Foreign Secretary David Miliband said Mr Ahmadinejad's denial of the Holocaust was "abhorrent as well as ignorant".

"It is very important that the world community stands up against this tide of abuse," Mr Miliband said.

For the past 30 years, the sermon on Jerusalem Day has been given by former President Hashemi Rafsanjani.

The BBC's former Tehran correspondent Jim Muir says Mr Rafsanjani is normally regarded as a pillar of the Islamic power system, but he quietly sympathises with the opposition.

This year he has been stood down in favour of a hard-line preacher.

Mr Mousavi was defeated by President Ahmadinejad in June's election, which opposition leaders claim was rigged.

In the aftermath, there was a violent crackdown on anti-government protesters, with a number of deaths and hundreds of people arrested.

See, now there is some real protest. All the teacuppers are complaining about is that the trains weren't running on time.

What a surprise, no doubt there'll be violence. Can never trust those shoe-makers..

In other Iranian news:

TEHRAN (Reuters) - President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad raised the stakes against Israel on Friday and called the Holocaust a lie, just as world powers try to decide how to deal with the nuclear ambitions of an Iran in political turmoil.

"The pretext (Holocaust) for the creation of the Zionist regime (Israel) is false ... It is a lie based on an unprovable and mythical claim," he told worshippers at Tehran University at the end of an annual anti-Israel "Qods (Jerusalem) Day" rally.

"Confronting the Zionist regime is a national and religious duty."

Ahmadinejad's anti-Western comments on the Holocaust have caused international outcry and isolated Iran, which is at loggerheads with the West over its nuclear programme.

The hardline president warned leaders of Western-allied Arab and Muslim countries about dealing with Israel.

"This regime (Israel) will not last long. Do not tie your fate to it ... This regime has no future. Its life has come to an end," he said in a speech broadcast live on state radio.

http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-42553620090918?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

My Iranian friend dropped in the other day. I nearly bumped one of these friends.

For him, the emphasis of the protests was to tell the world that the Iranian government does not represent them. We're really hoping the next election goes better. All the protesters will be four years older, wiser, and more wealthy. And I think that not only the government realised that the people want their votes to count, the local districts did too.

See, now there is some real protest. All the teacuppers are complaining about is that the trains weren't running on time.

what ever happened to calling them teabaggers? it was more lulzy :(

Top Bottom