1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Feature: Voice Actor Revealed

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by 2K Greg, Aug 4, 2010.

1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Awesome is too much imho. But maybe i'm crazy :crazyeye: :D.
    After hearing it again, it becomes a bit better, but not THAT great imho.

I think the quotes are okay.
    Would like to know from whom they are (i'm to lazy to google atm; okay, the last one i can guess myself).

2. caglejsc

caglejsc Chieftain

That voice is frakkin sweet! :goodjob:

3. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

With all due respect to Mr. Nimoy, my grandfather could have read the lines better. And he's dead.

It's great that they're getting capable voice actors for these things. I also recognized Keith David's distinctive voice in the first trailer ("A moment comes, which comes but rarely in history...").

4. Zechnophobe

Zechnophobe Strategy Lich

Anyone else unable to shake the desire to hand Mr. Sheppard a throat lozenge? I may just have to turn the quotes off or something.

While I thought Leonard was less... into it? compared to the voice actors in Alpha Centauri, he at least had a cool voice that was never UNpleasant to listen to.

What makes me really sad, is that the CIV 5 trailer has people making sweeping statements about history or parts of it, that I was really thinking would be the tech quotes. They were good, and interesting. And this? Sounds like an afterthought.

Edit: I'm referring to the trailer here: http://www.civilization5.com/#/media/
    One quote sounds like it'd be great for Ironworking, another for liberalism or something, and others for potentially other interesting technologies. And the reads do a really good job. Why isn't one of them doing the 50 little tech reads?

5. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

6. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

bah, I saw the news and my heart skipped when I saw Morgan, I was expecting Morgan Freeman, THAT would have been sick.

7. CoolLizy

CoolLizy King

If Civ IV and V each had a Star Trek cast member do the narration, does that mean Civ VI will have William Shatner? That's scary. D:

I would have preferred the voice actors from the trailer, but I honestly don't see why everyone is taking such a disliking to these. (Although if they add more techs in a future DLC/expansion pack, I do hope they'll bring Morgan Sheppard back instead of having Sid Meier do them again like in Warlords and Beyond the Sword. It was a bit jarring when suddenly Sid's voice comes up instead of Nimroy's.)

That said, I will have to join the chorus of people who saw "Morgan" and joyfully thought "Morgan Freeman" before noticing their mistake. *Sigh*

8. Giantdeathrobot

Giantdeathrobot Chieftain

Not the worst voice actor, but no Nimoy. My biggest beef is with the god awful quotes.

9. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

They would have been wise to mimic SMAC in every way in this regards... and to use Samuel L Jackson somewhere.

The sound -bites themselves sound pretty good... so they will sound much better with everything else in-game.

But I agree that what is pretty lame is the sentences themselves. It was probably the same sap that wrote these, that wrote the portions of the cviliopedia that talk about the Civ's themselves (which were also lame).

10. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

"I would not be so fastidious as you are, for a kindgom! Upon my honour!"

11. bitplayer

bitplayer Warlord

After hearing them a few times Ill just click on them without paying attention just like I did with spocks.

12. ace94d

ace94d Steel Mind, Dull Edge

I don't find the quotes that bad...

Sheppard is good. No Nimoy, though really who is, but good.

13. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Cool voice. Nothing will beat SMAC, but I do think he's comparable to Nimoy in Civ4 (and I like Nimoy).

14. QuantumPion

QuantumPion Chieftain

They should have gotten William Shatner!

Or, even better, Billy West's Zap Brannigan! :D

15. cccv

cccv King

Zap Brannigan, brilliant. I'd be on board with that.

I'd also love Shatner, if for no other reason than to hear him, when you discover rocketry, read the line: "I'm a rocket man, burning up his fuse up here.... alone."

16. Tregon

Tregon Chieftain

Or Ron Perlman...

And quote for Manhattan project could start something like "War. War never changes."

Ok. Maybe I should fix my Fallout3 installation to get my fix. But he still has great voice.

17. YoHo

YoHo Warlord

No Nimoy No Peace. Know Nimoy, Know Peace....

Ok seriously though, I thought the voice acting was great and I had no problem with the quotes. You people are weird.

18. Superluminal

Superluminal Warlord

Why not Justin Bieber?

19. Saint Rising

Saint Rising Metal Monster

I would have liked Nimoy more, sure, but this guy is pretty brilliant.

The Electricity quote in his voice gave me chills, yo.

20. frog3

frog3 Warlord

As long as we don't have to have the voice which does that god awful aesthetics quote.