Community Feature: Voice Actor Revealed

Mr. Shephard certainly has a good enough bariton voice in my (humble) opinion. :D
Of course, since I'm from the eastern part of the Atlantic, his accent sounds way more assuring. :p

What's funny to me is that from what we've heard this guy actually does a good job; probably better than Nimoy, just doesn't have the "ohmygodilovestartrekwillyousignmyphaser" factor. If he (Nimoy) were just some obscure voice actor, we'd just think he did a pretty good job and no more. Conversely, I'm betting that if the new guy had the same exact voice but was in all of the new Dr. Who episodes many here would be reacting a lot differently.

It also strikes me that people will complain about just about anything.

It would have been cool if it was Patrick Stewart doing the tech quotes in cIV (or V for that matter), but in IV it definitely was Spock himself doing the quotes (until we got new techs in the expansion packs). Listen again, there is no British accent for the tech quotes (which there would be if it were Stewart).

But thanks for making me imaging the techs in Picard's voice! The new guy is fairly good as well.

Good Heavens... I've been playing Civ 4 for 4 years now and was convinced all the time that it WAS Patrick Stewart reading the quotes.

I'm speechless, that's one huge disappointment and failure for me as a Star Trek fan - not to be able to recognize that it's _not_ my captain speaking. Nimoy must have quite a similar voice to Stewart, then.

Good Heavens... I've been playing Civ 4 for 4 years now and was convinced all the time that it WAS Patrick Stewart reading the quotes.

I'm speechless, that's one huge disappointment and failure for me as a Star Trek fan - not to be able to recognize that it's _not_ my captain speaking. Nimoy must have quite a similar voice to Stewart, then.

Well, whoever it is, I think the most important thing is that they get the same person to come back and voice new clips for any necessary expansion audio.

i quite like it. some of the quotes are a little long, but i can live with it.

I loved Nimoy's quotes: they freaked out my mom when ever she walked by the computer and heard them.

Sheppard is good, but not great. The electricity quote chews the scenery.

But we need DAVID ATTENBOROUGH!

I like this guy. Fits in well with the Civ5 mood from what I've seen so far.

David Attenborough should not only do the tech quotes in the game, but should constantly prove a commentary on the game my life.

Seems they're sticking with a vulcan theme...

That means Civ6 will have Kirstie Alley as the voice of the tech tree...

Can't WAIT for that!

Also he has an awesome voice and anyone who disagrees is crazy!

Yeah, I like his voice. I think his acting in civ (based on the samples we have) is better than Nimoy's.

Nimoy may have a better, or more familiar, voice, but Morgan has soul. :)

Probably some dude from a small community college in the UK who teaches Shakespeare.
The are many great actors at small colleges in the UK teaching Shakespeare. If you were more cosmopolitan you would know that.

You mean they got Blank Reg of Max Headroom fame?:scan:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 53
Why not Justin Bieber?

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
:aargh: :aargh: :aargh: :aargh: :aargh: :aargh: :aargh:
:badcomp: :badcomp: :badcomp: :badcomp: :badcomp: :badcomp: :badcomp:
:spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:

Anyone with good taste --> :ar15: You --> :confused:

Seriously you've got that one song of his stuck in my head.

Anyway back on topic I think they are pretty good but I agree that he is no Leonard Nimoy.

What's funny to me is that from what we've heard this guy actually does a good job; probably better than Nimoy, just doesn't have the "ohmygodilovestartrekwillyousignmyphaser" factor. If he (Nimoy) were just some obscure voice actor, we'd just think he did a pretty good job and no more.

Before i've joined the forums, i didn't even notice, who was speaking the quotes (i think we had the german voice of spock, but not sure). So for me, there's no popularity bonus, and i still think, that morgan is worse.

What's funny to me is that from what we've heard this guy actually does a good job; probably better than Nimoy, just doesn't have the "ohmygodilovestartrekwillyousignmyphaser" factor. If he (Nimoy) were just some obscure voice actor, we'd just think he did a pretty good job and no more. Conversely, I'm betting that if the new guy had the same exact voice but was in all of the new Dr. Who episodes many here would be reacting a lot differently.

It also strikes me that people will complain about just about anything.

Trust me, I know practically nothing about Star Trek but I can still agree that Nimoy is a tough act to follow when it comes to narrating tech quotes. I wouldn't even be able to name the fictional character he does in the film/s / tv series :)dunno:). lol come to think of it, the only time I've heard Nimoy speak, apart from in civ4 obviously, is in the Simpsons episode he appeared in.

I think Nimoy has a very unique voice and that could be part of the attraction to some. Seriously I can't think of anyone at all who sounds anything like Nimoy, but probably it wouldn't be too hard to find many people who sound like Morgan Sheppard.

If Firaxis really wanted to add some class to the series, they'd bring Fran Drescher and her inimitable voice aboard:

(Click here for audio)

Top Bottom