Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Does this help?

http://www.gossland.com/course/intro/running.html

Question: I was looking through a website. I clicked on something and I got something that looked like a database command and some things about deadlocks. I didn't save it or I would paste it here. I'm just curious to what it means, other than the server shouldn't do that. It went away when I refreshed.

Ok, someone recommended me a generator of sorts on the Celestia forum. However, it is in the format of a Perl .pl file. How do I run it?

That is very out of date, and the actual link is dead.

You need a perl interpreter, the recomended one for windows is ActivePerl. Then you could follow the instructionsd on the link above, on the command line type perl filename.pl and that should run it.

Question: I was looking through a website. I clicked on something and I got something that looked like a database command and some things about deadlocks. I didn't save it or I would paste it here. I'm just curious to what it means, other than the server shouldn't do that. It went away when I refreshed.

That is were 2 proccesses (in this case probably web site requests) are accessing the database, and both is waiting for the other to finish so never will. To really get a deadlock on a web server application is probably the developers fault.

1) While browsing CFC (and it seems to be just CFC), I keep getting redirected to other sights when I try to open the "last page" option of threads. It redirects me to amazon.fr usually. Is this a sign of malware/virus? Because I think it is only happening on CFC.

I keep having this problem too. Every now and then when I click on a page of the forums (and even just now while clicking the search button to see if anyone else has this problem) I get redirected to amazon.fr mostly, among other sites.

It's pretty annoying cause I have to go back then reclick a few times before it finally stops taking me to another site. And it only happens on CFC for me as well.

So is this malware/virus? I find it strange that someone else and my self are having the exact same problem for CFC.

Do either of you have AdBlock? I wonder if it may be one of those ads.

I have some 7-Zip files with backups of the wordpress content folder. They are all full backups and take up a lot of space even compressed. I would like to change the previous ones to incremental backups so it is only files that are new or changed. How would I do this? I don't mind decompressing though that would be more painful as they're ultra-compress.

Also how would I do this with new backups. I googled it got lots of dodgy-looking shareware.

If better a new thread moderator may split.

How do I acquire direct links to the individual images themselves that I post in my albums on Facebook, so I can repost them on forums with image tags?

How do I acquire direct links to the individual images themselves that I post in my albums on Facebook, so I can repost them on forums with image tags?

I found a workaround for this, first of all go to your album the images are in. Right click on the image you want -> open link in new tab -> open image in new tab

There's your link, now just put IMG tags on it and you're golden.

I have a question about how computers store the information from youtbube videos. I have a slow internet, and I like to preload the youtube videos, but lately I've been having problems. Like it isn't remembering the stuff it loads, so when I go back and hit play, it reloads the entire youtube video again.

What I usually like to do is get to the video, and then full screen the video (if I don't full screen it initially, it will reload the entire video regardless). And then I'll go regular screen and wait for it to load while I do something else. Usually when I return later and fullscreen and hit play, it will play the previously loaded video. But lately it reloads the entire video again. :(. My internet connection is too slow for me to be able to load a video as fast as I'm watching it. And lately youtube loads seem to have gotten even slower. I'm not sure why that is.

I'm not sure why this is been more of a problem lately. I was thinking maybe because my computer was on too long, and my browser window was open too long. Lately I've also been getting a lot of adobe plug-in crashes when my browser is open too long. That may be the reason. Any way to correct these problems of the youtube video reloading when I click play?

It's important to stay with the same resolution to prevent reloading everything. If you fullscreen a video it often increases the resolution to the highest available resolution (often 240p to hd).

I have a question about how computers store the information from youtbube videos. I have a slow internet, and I like to preload the youtube videos, but lately I've been having problems. Like it isn't remembering the stuff it loads, so when I go back and hit play, it reloads the entire youtube video again.

What I usually like to do is get to the video, and then full screen the video (if I don't full screen it initially, it will reload the entire video regardless). And then I'll go regular screen and wait for it to load while I do something else. Usually when I return later and fullscreen and hit play, it will play the previously loaded video. But lately it reloads the entire video again. :(. My internet connection is too slow for me to be able to load a video as fast as I'm watching it. And lately youtube loads seem to have gotten even slower. I'm not sure why that is.

I'm not sure why this is been more of a problem lately. I was thinking maybe because my computer was on too long, and my browser window was open too long. Lately I've also been getting a lot of adobe plug-in crashes when my browser is open too long. That may be the reason. Any way to correct these problems of the youtube video reloading when I click play?

Have you tried any of the many youtube downloaders?

Upgrade from dial-up.

Even my phone can playback youtube fine over 3G.

I have fiber optics and even then once in a while a youtube video won't download quickly enough. (this is caused by me trying to watch some obscure video during a high traffic time-frame)

I have two questions

1. If memory serves, it is legal for me to make a back up of a game that I own. If memory serves, an iso image is a file that is an exact copy of the contents of a cd. My question is could I make a copy of a disk iso and use this to make a backup copy of a game/movie? I'm not going to distribute the backup copy and I own a legal copy of the game, I just want to back it up. If this is legal/possible, is there a computer program that I can use to do this? I've looked but I couldn't find any programs that can do this.
(PS: if you need an example of what I would do this for, I have the game medieval 2 total war and I want to make a backup copy of it so I can still play it if the disk gets broken/lost)

2. I need a free program that can convert avi movie files into mp3 audio files (I don't care about the video part, I'm using fraps to record my spanish class assignments and I want to stick the recordings on my mp3 player to listen to later). Does anyone know of anything that can do the trick? Thanks.

Is it very common for internet to run faster than it is advertised?

No, it usually runs slower than the advertised speed, or if you have a good ISP, about the same speed as advertised. But I have seen it occasionally run faster than the advertised speed. If it does, don't complain!

The exception is if you live in Lithuania (IIRC), where on average Internet speeds are slightly faster than advertised.

I have two questions

1. If memory serves, it is legal for me to make a back up of a game that I own. If memory serves, an iso image is a file that is an exact copy of the contents of a cd. My question is could I make a copy of a disk iso and use this to make a backup copy of a game/movie? I'm not going to distribute the backup copy and I own a legal copy of the game, I just want to back it up. If this is legal/possible, is there a computer program that I can use to do this? I've looked but I couldn't find any programs that can do this.
(PS: if you need an example of what I would do this for, I have the game medieval 2 total war and I want to make a backup copy of it so I can still play it if the disk gets broken/lost)

Your memory serves you well. I use CDBurnerXP to make ISO backups. There might be slicker options out there, but it's free and has worked well enough. It also runs on Windows Vista and 7, in addition to XP. You'd want the "Copy or grab disc" option when you start it to make an ISO of a game. Note that some games, such as Civilization III, employ copy protection that make this more complicated. I have M2TW, but haven't made a backup of it since it's kinda large with two DVDs, so I don't know if it'll work smoothly or not.

Movies, it depends on where you live. If you live in the U.S., you officially can't unless the movie doesn't have copy protection, which is unlikely if it's a commercial movie. In many other countries, you can. Since CFC is based in the U.S. I can't make any recommendations, but there is software out there that does this reliably, and without too much hassle - at least one from a (legit, 100% legal) company that even has its own Wikipedia page. I don't know about easy, reliable free options, though.

2. I need a free program that can convert avi movie files into mp3 audio files (I don't care about the video part, I'm using fraps to record my spanish class assignments and I want to stick the recordings on my mp3 player to listen to later). Does anyone know of anything that can do the trick? Thanks.

If you are running Windows XP (2000, ME, and 98 might also work), try Audacity. Set it to use the Stereo Mix input to record, hit record, and then play the AVI movie in another player such as Windows Media Player. I recommend setting the volume in Windows and Audacity to the max so that the volume stays the same in the recording, but you can mute it so it isn't actually blaring loud, and Audacity will still pick up the sound. They set the volume back to normal after it finishes playing, and hit the play button in Audacity to hear what it recorded - should be the same as the AVI sound. Now, use the LAME for Audacity (version 3.98 is the latest, I think - nope, 3.99 now) plugin to export to mp3. And voila, it works!

If you are using Vista/7, and the Stereo Mix option isn't an option, it's probably due to the RIAA (ask Google). In that case, you'll need a male-to-male audio cable that you can run from your headphone jack to your microphone in jack, and then you can use the Line In option instead of Stereo Mix. In my (limited) Vista experience, Audacity worked fine using this (admittedly less convenient) option.2

I have two questions

1. So long as you don't break any DRM doing it, or share the ISO, its legal in the U.S. (Im not a lawyer though so don't blame me if you get sued.) ImgBurn can create ISO images. You pop the CD in and there is an option. Then mount with Virtual CloneDrive (not linking as there's DRM-circumventing programs on the site) or burn a copy.
I actually use ISO versions of certain games -- these are older games so the discs tend to be extremely noisy and sound like a vacuum cleaner or something.

2. I find the quickest way is to demux the audio and then run it through a converter. You can find out the audio codec using MediaInfo (oftentimes it uses AC3 which is a pain -- this'll do the trick although it's not directly to MP3). Then open it in Avidemux, save the audio as the proper format (theres option under the Audio menu), and convert it from there. It's actually a lot simpler than I make it sound. Also unless you tend to mess around with FRAPS settings between videos it ought to use the same audio-codec.

Yes it should work as a backup. As pointed out, there are other problems due to the DMCA in the US. A related useful piece of software as those like Virtual Clone Drive ( http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html ), which let's you mount the image like a real drive - so you can use it on your computer without having to put in the physical disk.

Since CFC is based in the U.S. I can't make any recommendations, but there is software out there that does this reliably, and without too much hassle - at least one from a (legit, 100% legal) company that even has its own Wikipedia page.
I don't think there are any legal issues with naming software (the DMCA only covers linking, I believe). Though the forum rules here say "telling people how to avoid copy-protection etc".

This is only in the context of piracy, which the OP isn't doing, so perhaps a mod would like to clarify if we can have this discussion properly, or if we have to continue in a making allusions about things without naming them :)

I don't know about easy, reliable free options, though.
There's a free version, still available (presumably from a non-US site).

Top Bottom