Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

That makes sense.

anything smaller than a 4 GB hard disk (Seagates especially)

The hard drive on my first computer was 6 GB. Unless you meant TB? (My drive is 2 TB.)

Sorry. I had GB on the brain. I meant TB. :lol:

Question: Is there a way to automatically elevate the command-prompt for specific batch files? I'm always forgetting to right-click > run as admin.

Question: Is there a way to automatically elevate the command-prompt for specific batch files? I'm always forgetting to right-click > run as admin.
Yes. Right click the batch file and choose "Properties" then choose the "Compatibility" tab. Click on "Run this program as an administrator" and then "Apply". And you're done. The next time you execute the batch file, it should run with elevated privilege.

If not, I have a longer, more involved and difficult way to do it. :(

There is no compatibility tab, though. :(

Nothing like this in Properties?

Compat.JPG

That's weird...

Here's what I see:

I checked. It was just stuff about the archive bit and NTFS compression and other file attributes. Nothing about running as administrator. :undecide:

I also checked Security but it was just about file ownership.

A little bit. Though that makes me wonder if there's a way to call the UAC prompt and elevate it from within the BAT file?

I run a program at startup called Speedfan and it has to be invoked as per the link I gave you, via the event manager. It has to be run with elevated privilege, so it won't just run from startup. I used the method detailed in the link, and a couple of others from that site to get it to run at startup without going to a UAC prompt. Most of the time it even loads, but Windows 10 does some strange things to it. I never had this problem with Windows 7, or earlier versions of Windows 10, but version 1903 and 1909 have different ideas, I guess.

I hope you can find a way on that site to get it working. There are all kinds of tips and tutorials there.

I found that if I created a shortcut of the .bat file, there's an option to run it elevated from there. But not on the bat file itself. Go figures. :lol:

None of the BAT files I have are really important enough to do that with. Mostly just resetting printer spoolers (I don't even have a working printer anymore) and the volume mixer and deleting icon caches and things like that.

Last edited:
What sort of games are best run from an SSD? I have limited space on it so I want to make the best that I can without constantly shuffling them back and forth between my SSD and HDD.

Some AMD Motherboards with Ryzen processors allow you to freely use StoreMI software. You can buy a second SSD, 128GB capacity (I see them for $25.00 to $40.00), and use it with a larger mechanical HDD to speed up your load times. If you have a lot of system RAM, you can even allocate some of that to this technology as well. Haven't tried it yet myself as I have too many older SSD's that I use to put games on directly. But really want to try it sometime...

I already spent more than I'm comfortable with replacing my failing drive last month but it's definitely look into for the future. :)

New question: What on earth are the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables that it seems half my games include? It seems a bit silly after a while:

Last edited:
They are there to make sure the game runs as it was supposed to be. Naturally you'd assume that the latest version would be enough as it should include the older functions etc, but just to be sure each game installs the version it was build with. Problem is the games dont uninstall them when you remove the game.

Last edited:
Why does it separate x64 and x86 when they're all 32 bit?

Top Bottom