1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

The battery on my tablet swelled up and popped the back lid off.

2. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Put it on hard standing, sand will do too, without anything around and walk away. Next you look up how to dispose of bloated batteries in your general area.

3. Samson

Samson Deity

How do I uninstall Civ 4 Colonization?

I have tried using Control Panel > Programs and Features as described here. I click on Uninstall and nothing happens. I cannot see an uninstall program in the install directory. I could just delete the folder, but that is not always the best idea. I cannot find the Disk right now, but probably could.

4. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Look in the install folder for an uninstall exe. Having deleted entire Civ game folders manually in the past, the worst that happens it that file associations are broken. So I'd just delete the folder if you cant find an uninstaller in it's folder.

Samson likes this.
  5. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

On Windows 10, is there any way to disable the thumbnails when hovering over a taskbar button? I tried changing ExtendedUIHoverTime in the registry but it didn't work.

EDIT: I was able to change the behaviour with 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  6. Josu

Josu King

Is it possible to connect bluetooth headphones to a mobile and a computer at same time so that I can attend calls incoming on both devices?

7. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Bluetooth is a single pair technology. As far as I know, you can only pair with one device. If your headphone are capable of connecting by wire, it would be interesting to connect to the computer with a wire and the mobile with bluetooth? Not sure what the priority would be?

8. Josu

Josu King

That's what I thougth. But I read this morning about multipoint bluetooth, that's why I asked

9. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Allegedly you can use Windows 10 to answer android phone calls. I have no clue how it works or how to do it though. Instead of using your cell, it would be the computer handling the call. Your headphones are just paired with the computer.

10. leif erikson

Perhaps this article on multipoint Bluetooth may help?

It says that it was introduced in 2010 but few devices actually support it. Supporting it drives up the cost and for consumers, developers are reluctant to add the feature.

Windows 10 does allow you to add a phone and use the people app to make calls. Have never done it myself?

11. Josu

Josu King

This is quite embarrashing....
    Windows 7 at work's laptop

But that's what I exactly need, will have to wait for an updated laptop

12. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I have a serious computer problem involving my custom build gaming desktop pc.

The pc worked fine when the monitor was connected to the motherboard, save a few games (I think battlefront 2 by ea was the main one)

I didn’t realize that was a mistake until someone online had me do the troubleshooting step of plugging it into the video card instead. Then it didn’t work.

I took it to office max, using all my cables and monitor and it worked when connecting to the video card over there. Their tech guy did it but only using my equipment.

He ran a diagnostic test and everything passed.

I took it back home and it still wasn’t working.

Took it to a different pc shop, told him everything I told you now, he kept it for several days to fix it.

He got battlefront 2 to work specifically after making an adjustment and had no problem making the pc and monitor in general when the monitor was connected to the gpu.

I asked him why it works like that at office max and for you but not at my house.

He said buy a brand new (and powerful) power surge because that’s probably the issue. So I did.

Still doesn’t work.

Some “experts” on the internet told me today to unplug everything from the motherboard and then plug it back in while the pc is turned off and not connected to the power.

I did.

Now it won’t even turn on at all and I am beyond frustrated. I have spent so much time and money with no positive results whatsoever.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  13. leif erikson

This type of problem is difficult enough but we also know nothing about your system configuration. So, perhaps some general steps?

I built a system for my son and on first start got nothing. Later figured out that I had not properly seated his system ram, once reseated it fired right up. You have to check that all the components are properly seated, including M2 hard drives if you have one and power connectors to the video card.

I also recently upgraded a computer with a faster video card. Forgot to check power requirements and burn out one rail of my power supply because it did not provide enough amps. :cry:

Lastly, when you connect the video cable to the motherboard, you are generally using the video adapter on the processor, if it has one. Check you system settings, under advanced display settings, to see which video adapter your system is using for your monitor? If you use more than one monitor, I use an HDTV as a monitor for some games, you have to check which display is your main display as I have forgotten to change it back before and had all kinds of problems until I remembered, hooked up the TV, got in and changed it back to my monitor.

Not sure any of this will solve your issue, but I hope so.

14. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

I guess you may have heard these already but just some basic steps for a pc not turning on:

Reset the BIOS on the motherboard. Find the manual for the MoBo either physical or online on how to do it, might be a button, might be a couple of pins you have to short with something made of metal, or might be a battery you have to remove and place back in. (and if you can't find a manual or guide to do it, there might be somewhere of the motherboard PCB where it says "bios reset" or something similar near some pins or a button where you can use the methods mentioned)

If you have more than one stick of RAM, remove all but one and try to start it, if that doesn't work you can try the others one by one. You can also try them in different slots if there's a possible problem with the slots themselves.

And the dumbo advice: check that the switch on the back of the power supply is set to on, done this myself a couple of times. :lol:

If those don't work, remove anything extra other than the minimal configuration you could have, any extra harddrives, remove the graphics card, and anything else not absolutely necessary for the computer to turn on. If it then works you can add stuff back one by one.

And of course avoid hitting it with any static, stay away from carpets and such and regularly touch something metal that is grounded like a sink or similar to discharge yourself.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  15. aimeeandbeatles

Sometimes when my computer is using the paging file on my data drive (or doing other heavy disk-loading), I can hear the drive make a quiet "zzzzrt" noise every so often. Is that something to worry about?

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  16. leif erikson

If you haven't heard it before now, it is probably is not a good omen...

I'd be looking for another drive soon.

edit - at least back up what is on the drive on a usb drive or some other backup media in the cloud or a portable hard drive if you have one.

17. aimeeandbeatles

Its been happening for months. I just don't know if it's normal.

18. leif erikson

I have some drives that tend to be noisy and others that are quiet as a mouse. Problem is, you never really know and if it happens with no backup, you will lose whatever is on the drive. You know your system and have to decide what the best thing to do is.

I always try to err on the side of not losing data...

19. aimeeandbeatles

I think I figured it out. A few months ago I was messing around with the size of my paging file because the automatic settings was causing issues with one of my programs. I just checked and it's pretty badly fragmented so it must be seeking a lot when using the page file.

Unfortunately the old sysinternals PageDefrag doesn't seem to work on 64-bit and I'm not sure how else to defrag the thing. :(

20. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Moderator

Windows has a defragging function. As long as it isn't an SSD.