Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Windows itself properly detects it as an HDD.

There's a glitch with Defraggler incorrectly detecting drives as wrong types. Except that the glitch also occurred in WinContig.

UltraDefrag doesn't seem to have the problem, but I don't see a good way to defragment single file/folders in it without a shell extension.

For what it matters, I emailed the developer of WinContig to ask about it and he was able to track down the problem and solve it. :w00t: So I'll just switch to that.

For what it matters, I emailed the developer of WinContig to ask about it and he was able to track down the problem and solve it. :w00t: So I'll just switch to that.
Great to hear tech support is still a positive thing. :goodjob:

I think I may have found the answer to this myself. But not certain.

My problem is that the number of USB devices I have keeps growing. And I've run out of slots for them. I have a USB spliter, which in theory should have solved the problem. But in practice does not work as I thought such things worked. So I need to add USB ports, as for something which is "universal", USB has a hell of a lot of cable types. So since every device has a different cable, and it's a pain in the butt to keep changing cables, as the PC isn't that easy to reach.

So, going through all my old parts buckets, I have these:

One of which may have come with this motherboard, as it's the same maker. The other one, some older mobo.

After some searching, I found the manual for the mobo. And it says this:

So if I'm reading this right, there's a JUSB1,2, and 4, connector spot. And I can just plug these things in and solve my problem. But can I use more than one of them? Am I reading this right?

I have used them in the past on my system builds. I'm not sure about the intrusion detection system part, but have installed several in one system. As long as there are plug-ins on the motherboard, they should work.

Have also used USB hubs. Prefer powered ones in case I have to plug in a bunch of devices. Used the USB hub because the computer was in an awkward place and I could use a long cable to the hub and then plug in the shorter device cords to the hub. Probably tmi...

The gadget I have that I called a splitter is labeled 4 port USB hub. It just does not work the way I thought such things were supposed to work. I can plug my phone into it, and the phone will charge. But I can't transfer data. :dunno:

The only thing I can think to suggest is plug a phone cord into a USB port on the computer and plug devices such as keyboard, mouse, printer, etc. into the USB hub and see if that works?

I'm going to add those internal USB ports today. As long as that's a safe way to go, I should be fine. Thanks for your help.

Next question, do all new motherboards come with just a single PS/2 port for plugging in the keyboard, and all mice now use USB? I mean, aside from wireless devices.

I'm not sure about your particular market since I'm in another hemisphere, but here it's far easier to get mice and keyboards with USB connections than it is to get PS/2 ones.

Most new motherboards do not come with a PS/2 connector anymore. If they do, it's a combination mouse/keyboard port that you must use a splitter for, to be able to use a mouse and keyboard at the same time. It's a real PITA and you're better off using a USB keyboard and mouse, to be really honest.

The gadget I have that I called a splitter is labeled 4 port USB hub. It just does not work the way I thought such things were supposed to work. I can plug my phone into it, and the phone will charge. But I can't transfer data. :dunno:
Some USB hubs will not allow a phone or tablet to connect properly because of the autonegotiation that happens when you plug them in. The hub blocks it. As Leif said, plug the phone directly into your computer. That should work.

So if I'm reading this right, there's a JUSB1,2, and 4, connector spot. And I can just plug these things in and solve my problem. But can I use more than one of them? Am I reading this right?
You can add as many of those USB connectors as you have internal connectors for, and they will all work. In your case, you have three internal USB 2.0 connectors. Each will support two ports, so each connector will support one of those bracket thingies in your picture (which are USB 2.0), giving you an extra two USB ports per connector. Do not try to plug in a USB 2.0 connector to a USB 3.0 connector, BTW. Bad things will happen.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about your particular market since I'm in another hemisphere, but here it's far easier to get mice and keyboards with USB connections than it is to get PS/2 ones.

PS/2 mice pretty much no longer exist here. PS/2 keyboards are still common enough.

Most new motherboards do not come with a PS/2 connector anymore. If they do, it's a combination mouse/keyboard port that you must use a splitter for, to be able to use a mouse and keyboard at the same time. It's a real PITA and you're better off using a USB keyboard and mouse, to be really honest.

I was looking at some motherboards earlier. And most of them have the combo PS/2 connector. So using that for a keyboard and USB for the mouse seems to be the standard. :dunno:

Some USB hubs will not allow a phone or tablet to connect properly because of the autonegotiation that happens when you plug them in. The hub blocks it. As Leif said, plug the phone directly into your computer. That should work.

At least there's a reason for that, and probably the hub would be useful for other things, if I need to.

You can add as many of those USB connectors as you have internal connectors for, and they will all work. In your case, you have three internal USB 2.0 connectors. Each will support two ports, so each connector will support one of those bracket thingies in your picture (which are USB 2.0), giving you an extra two USB ports per connector. Do not try to plug in a USB 2.0 connector to a USB 3.0 connector, BTW. Bad things will happen.

I already added the 2 things, and they seem to be working fine. This gives me 4 additional USB ports. I think the 3rd internal connector for USB ports is the one taken up by the 2 USB ports on the front of the case. So for the time being I have my USB shortage solved.

I already added the 2 things, and they seem to be working fine. This gives me 4 additional USB ports. I think the 3rd internal connector for USB ports is the one taken up by the 2 USB ports on the front of the case. So for the time being I have my USB shortage solved.
Awesome. Now you just need to get that avatar problem solved and you're off to the races. :)

Is there a way to temporarily suspend a scheduled task if a specific application is currently run? I suppose I could manage it with a batch file, but that might result in focus-stealing. :undecide:

Anyone know of any reasonably priced computer speakers that don't pick up RF interference?

What do bing.com URI's with "form" and "cvid" parameters do?

I just got some spam, containing only a URI in the form:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=&form=[15 capital letters]&cvid=[15 capital letters]

I am sure it is malware or something, but how can you send a harmful URI via bing.com? I guess it is not surprising that micro$oft is helping malware around the world, but I would like to know what is going on here.

Last edited:
oh hell , how do ı download pictures with a tablet ?

(android 6 or 7 or whatever , bought only to sit out the curfewy days)

Top Bottom