1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Why SSD? Don't they burn out faster than HDDs?

(maybe that problem's been solved since the last time I checked)

2. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Pretty sure one of mine has a 5 year guarantee/warranty and the reality is they can last for like 10 years. No moving parts, the limited write/read capacity was only a problem for the very first generations.

caketastydelish likes this.
  3. Samson

Samson Deity

They do burn out. As cardgame says they have got loads better, but there are some applications where it is a significant factor. However they are so much faster now, with an M2 interface I think they can get into the GB's a second read speeds, they are the way to make a system feel so much faster. It seems to me like more that 10 years of processor improvement.

4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Because they're several orders of magnitude faster than an HDD. SSDs blew away HDDs for performance a decade ago, and have been increasing the gap every since.

Here are some benchmarks of various drives - the HDD (which performs pretty well for an HDD) in the test is at the very bottom:

Spoiler :

5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

SSDs have gotten worse at limited reads/writes over the generations. MLC has intrinsically less endurance than SLC, and each generation (MLC, TLC, QLC) brings decreased endurance. It doesn't really matter for consumers though, you should be treating all your storage like it can catastrophically fail at any time. (Because it can.)

6. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Oh so very yes to treating data storage like that.
    Wow. Those really are some numbers, but… what are people requiring such performance for? I am genuinely intrigued, since my endecade-old baby is still apt for all my needs.

7. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I mean, it makes pretty much anything dramatically more responsive. It's like the difference between your decade-old machine and a machine that's like seven years (ballparking, but less than a decade, since pace of hardware improvements has slowed) older than that.

At this point, it's not even that SSDs are fast, they're the standard, and HDDs are much, much slower. (Which, I expect, plays into the poor performance of any modern OS on HDDs - nobody at Google/MS/Apple is using an HDD on their development systems, so they don't have to experience said poor performance.)

8. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

I know about responsiveness and data transfer/storage/retrieval and so on, but my question was more along the lines of what do people run on their machines (besides bloated OSs, of course) that requires such ridiculous amounts of processing power, data, storage, etc.

9. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

You play pixel art games that would be at home on a Windows 98 rig so it's understandable you know not the sufferings of load times. :p

cardgame likes this.
  10. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Like Dota2?

11. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Web browsers, chat apps, photo editing programs, office suites, media players, etc.

I wouldn't really call modern OS's especially bloated - on modern hardware, current versions of macOS/Windows run better than a version from ten years ago - they just don't support hardware from ten years ago very well.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Could that be an example of programmed obsolescence?In this era of information wars I am not savvy enough to be able to tell. I sometimes feel that there are conspiracy theories running about and then sometimes people I dismissed as extremists are actually saner than most. :undecide:

13. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

I don't think it's programmed obsolescence, more like the devs have really nice desktops and rightfully think that the new operating system shouldn't be constrained by people with decade old computers. Catch up, tech moves and it doesn't stop moving. SSDs are mandatory now for your main operator.

Of course, it's a whole other story when they just brute-force their way through ****** code because hey, it's okay to write really terrible code, people have SSDs and stupidly strong 16 thread CPUs, they will just zoom right through it. (Total Warhammer loading times on an HDD are literally unplayable)

Synsensa likes this.
  14. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Is liquid cooling worth the extra money, or is it just something that sounds cool?

15. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Think it depends upon what you plan to do. If your application is intensive on CPU, it might be worth it. Otherwise, I would not spend the money.

I experimented a bit and built a system last year using an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with a Corsair water cooler. CPU rated at 3.4 GHz with boost to 3.9. The CPU never gets over 100 degress F and routinely gives 4.4 GHz or better, and I have not overclocked it.

edit - can check this if you would like more detail at Tom's Hardware.

edit2 - if you choose water cooling, please make sure your case can handle it.. :eek:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    shadowplay and Synsensa like this.
  16. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Professional Killjoy Moderator

Water cooling is indeed worth it if you plan to overclock or are playing very intensive games. Ryzen CPUs should be watercooled as they run very hot. Threadrippers even more so. Most cases can handle a 120mm liquid cooled setup. It gets more tricky when you have a 240mm setup like mine. The ideal watercooler is a push configuration where the fans push the air through the rad. That is impossible with mine because the rad doesn't quite touch the case and the fans inside don't clear the motherboard. I have to use my fans on the top of the case and pull the air through the rad, which is sub-optimal. It still works, but I will be buying a larger case very soon to use a push configuration and get better performance.

See the top of my case in this pic. You can see the rad at the top and the fans on top outside the case. Not exactly the best solution, which is why I need a better case.

Spoiler :

IMG_20191120_212124953.jpg

Corsair and Cooler Master both make excellent liquid coolers that are all in one with no fussing. I recommend either brand heartily. I have used both.

shadowplay and Synsensa like this.
  17. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Anyone purchased cheap product keys from Kinguin? It sounds too good to be true, but reputable sites like Tom's hardware swear it's legit.

18. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

I've gotten some keys off of EBay. I read up on it and apparently these keys are from PC's that had licenses that allowed the software to be moved to new machines but the computer they were on was junked, so the keys are recycled. Never have had a problem with them.

shadowplay likes this.
  19. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

I have bought dlc for world of warships from King, it's legit but definitely sketchy