Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Question: Is it possible to create a shortcut to directly trigger a task from the task scheduler?

I've been using a bat file with schtasks /Run /TN "My Task" and pointing a shortcut to that.
It... seems you just answered your own question?

I meant directly without the bat file intermediary.

That should work. Thank you. :)

Are laptops rubbish, or should I reinstall?

I am running ubuntu 20.04 on my work laptop, a lenovo thinkpad T590. I have it on pretty much every waking hour these days (it is also my TV), and every few days it suddenly completely locks up and I have to do a hard reboot. If this was windows I would not think twice about it, but the desktops I run ubuntu on crash very rarely, my work one has been on all year and not gone down once, and that is not at all unusual. I have never given a laptop this sort of workout before. It is not really a problem, just a little irritating.

Do you think the install is broken, or it it just the way with laptops that they are not as reliable as desktops?

Does anyone here have any experience with low end Intel NUC mini computers, and how well do they perform as alternative to very basic desktop computers?

No idea about the NUCs, but the best deal on basic desktops I've found is at PCliquidators.com. I have bought several of their small form-factor business desktops (mostly Dells) and have been very pleased with them. I usually get 4GB of RAM and no OS, then load Windows 10 for free because all of them I have come across previously had Windows 7 or Windows 8 activated and MS remembers them. A little over $100 for an i5 system just a few years old, with USB 3.0 ports and a 240-ish GB HDD.

Last edited:

I am running ubuntu 20.04 on my work laptop, a lenovo thinkpad T590. I have it on pretty much every waking hour these days (it is also my TV), and every few days it suddenly completely locks up and I have to do a hard reboot. If this was windows I would not think twice about it, but the desktops I run ubuntu on crash very rarely, my work one has been on all year and not gone down once, and that is not at all unusual. I have never given a laptop this sort of workout before. It is not really a problem, just a little irritating.

Do you think the install is broken, or it it just the way with laptops that they are not as reliable as desktops?

I ran Debian on a Thinkpad T460 for a while, and it was rock solid. It ran for months at a time w/o a reboot. I switched it to Windows to do my taxes, cuz I had a spare Windows license. I might go back to Linux someday, I don't know. I'm not sure the exact distribution I was using, I will try to figure that out.

ETA: I think it was Linux Mint 4 "Debbie" - Cinnamon (64-bit)
https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=279

Laptops in general are not as reliable, long term, as desktops are, but that is usually because of heat and the hard drives fail from being knocked around and the lappy bumped, etc. I wouldn't think that your laptop should require a hard boot every few days. That makes me think there might be something messed up in the OS, but I am no expert on Linux, I am afraid.

How do you download and install civ IV bts scenarios to play such as this?

For reference, I play on Steam.

How do you download and install civ IV bts scenarios to play such as this?

For reference, I play on Steam.
I do not play on steam, but I do not think it matters for that. That is just a world builder save, so if your single player save game directory is \Beyond the Sword\Saves\Single then it goes in Beyond the Sword\Saves\WorldBuilder.

Though actually I can just extract the zip anywhere and click on the file.

I don’t understand anything about world builder; I’ve never used it before.

I don’t understand anything about world builder; I’ve never used it before.
You do not need to know anything about worldbuilder to play the file, just (double?) click on it after extracting it. You could create a file like this in worldbuilder.

Double-clicking it redirects me to the steam app but without launching the game let alone that scenario specifically.

Double-clicking it redirects me to the steam app but without launching the game let alone that scenario specifically.
If you put it in the directory I specify above, Beyond the Sword\Saves\WorldBuilder, then it should be available from Single Player / Play a scenario then select this by filename, ww2-v1.6.

Yeah that fixed it, thanks.

@caketastydelish: We do have an entire set of fora and subfora dedicated to Civ4, didn't you know? :p

lol yeah. New problem:

I am trying to capture the video recording and audio recording on my computer screen from a Youtube video, and then put it into Vegas pro 16 steam edition. Can't figure out how.

I don't know what this Vegas pro 16 is, but where is your problem? Copying a YouTube video should be easy, there's tons of browser extensions, apps, standalone programmes, etc. The second part I wouldn't be able to help you with.

name one that could do this for me, please.

Last edited:
Top Bottom