1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

It... seems you just answered your own question?

2. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I meant directly without the bat file intermediary.

3. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

4. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

That should work. Thank you. :)

5. Samson

Samson Deity

Are laptops rubbish, or should I reinstall?

I am running ubuntu 20.04 on my work laptop, a lenovo thinkpad T590. I have it on pretty much every waking hour these days (it is also my TV), and every few days it suddenly completely locks up and I have to do a hard reboot. If this was windows I would not think twice about it, but the desktops I run ubuntu on crash very rarely, my work one has been on all year and not gone down once, and that is not at all unusual. I have never given a laptop this sort of workout before. It is not really a problem, just a little irritating.

Do you think the install is broken, or it it just the way with laptops that they are not as reliable as desktops?

6. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

No idea about the NUCs, but the best deal on basic desktops I've found is at PCliquidators.com. I have bought several of their small form-factor business desktops (mostly Dells) and have been very pleased with them. I usually get 4GB of RAM and no OS, then load Windows 10 for free because all of them I have come across previously had Windows 7 or Windows 8 activated and MS remembers them. A little over $100 for an i5 system just a few years old, with USB 3.0 ports and a 240-ish GB HDD.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020 at 6:21 PM
  7. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

I ran Debian on a Thinkpad T460 for a while, and it was rock solid. It ran for months at a time w/o a reboot. I switched it to Windows to do my taxes, cuz I had a spare Windows license. I might go back to Linux someday, I don't know. I'm not sure the exact distribution I was using, I will try to figure that out.

ETA: I think it was Linux Mint 4 "Debbie" - Cinnamon (64-bit)
    https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=279

Samson likes this.