1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

I'm not letting you anywhere near it.
    Apparently one valid option is to simply delete almost all files and folders in the installation, except for the actual Steam executable one, and then start up Steam and let it redownload a few gygabytes's worth of gaming material.

2. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Question: Is there a way to monitor write operations to the registry? I only know of tools that let you take snapshots and compare them.

3. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

4. aimeeandbeatles

Thank you. I actually have Process Monitor (I use Windows System Control Center to keep all the NirSoft/Sysinternals stuff in one place) so I'll use that. :)

5. aimeeandbeatles

Question: I have a command-line program running on task scheduler. It pops up a command prompt window in the foreground and steals focus. Aside from "run with highest privileges," is there any way to make it not do that?

6. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

There should be a no console command you can tag onto the line in the task scheduler that specifies the program to run.

7. aimeeandbeatles

I have an alternate file manager. It's set as the default file manager instead of Windows Explorer. Most of the time this works. But I have a few programs that when I try to open a folder from them they instead open Windows Explorer specifically. (I'm currently emailing a developer about this.) Why would this happen?

8. Rosen165

Rosen165 Chieftain

Have you received an Email from the developer?

9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Anyone here have experience using Twitch to publish non gaming videos or move streaming videos to a youtube channel for future watching?

10. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Most likely it is hard-coded to run Explorer, the equivalent of running the following in a Run prompt:

Code:
    explorer C:\
    This is the equivalent of programs that assume that Windows is is installed at C:\Windows, that Program Files are at C:\Program Files, or that user documents are at C:\Users\<username>\Documents, instead of using the proper ways to check for that. The developer most likely uses Windows Explorer themselves, and was probably unaware of the issue.

11. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

Anyone else still have this message when they open windows update:

Seems I should have the May 2020 update by now, no? This computer is 4 years old and runs well.

12. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Likely a compatibility issue. Microsoft has been having... issues... lately with their larger OS updates. Mine still won't download update 2004, which is the "May 2020" update.

shadowplay likes this.
  13. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

I only know that it's completely possible to do so, but not how.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  14. aimeeandbeatles

I think Commodore once mentioned some non-game YouTubers moving to Twitch because of demonetization. Unfortunately asking him for more info isn't really possible.

15. Sarin

Sarin Prince

Does anyone here have any experience with low end Intel NUC mini computers, and how well do they perform as alternative to very basic desktop computers?

16. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Yeah, my home desktop won’t update. I’m planning on replacing it soon so haven’t bothered to troubleshoot.

17. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Pretty much as you’d expect from the specs. They’re typically not super quiet under load, and are more expensive than Chinese mini-PCs, but they’ll get better driver support from Intel than Chinese mini-PCs.

Unless I need to pick out specific parts for some reason, I typically go for pre-built business-class mini PCs, just because they’re easier. (HP, Lenovo, Dell, Apple all make PCs in this category. I got my dad an HP and my mom a Lenovo, and they’ve both been working well for years.)