Conquests 01: Spoiler 2 (End of middle ages)

I made it.
My first game I have a win ever: Cultural victory.
But with a few times restarting, reloading. So? I never send in anyway.
Finnaly I get a grip on Civ3, C3C.

Congrats. But you are a cheater. When i reload i always win. Sorry but thats the truth. I suck on Regent :( Im only good on Warlord but i am improving. It really helps you improve by not reloading cause you learn valuable lessons

SniperDevil said:
Congrats. But you are a cheater. When i reload i always win. Sorry but thats the truth. I suck on Regent :( Im only good on Warlord but i am improving. It really helps you improve by not reloading cause you learn valuable lessons

It's cliche, but it really is true. Normally, I reload 3 or 4 times per game. Since this was a GOTM, I did not reload at all. Even when sucky things happened, like when I foolishly didn't cave to Arabic demands for Iron Working and got bogged down in an archer vs. spearmen war for a dozen turns (yet somehow managed to not take any of their territory). Or when a city with two (count them -- two) armies in it culture flipped to the Summerians. I kept playing on, and in the end, I won. Not reloading teaches you how to roll with those kinds of punches.

This was the first game where i didnt reload. That is because it was the GOTM though. But from now on i will try to never reload again!

For me my goal was playing a game out, for the first time. And I did it. Next goal: never reload. BTW I even managed not to win once on warlord or chieftan :(

SniperDevil said:

Maybe just inform him that its against the rules to reload, in most circumstances. It may be something a person new to the series is unaware of, quite a bit to assimilate first time out. ;)

I think he's aware of that, Dojo. He said
So? I never send in anyway.
He's just relieved to have reached the end of a game and seen a victory parade :thumbsup:

This was was first GOTM. I submitted mine on Friday, the 11th. I did not see a Jason Score after the submission. I must have missed it. Now, when I go to the Calculator, the GOTM32 is not available as a selection in the drop-down window. How can I figure out my Jason Score? Wait until results are posted at the end of the month? That is kind of a bummer.
Can I re-submit? I don't want to cause a hassle/confusion amongst the GOTM staff.

al_thor said:
This was was first GOTM. I submitted mine on Friday, the 11th. I did not see a Jason Score after the submission. I must have missed it. Now, when I go to the Calculator, the GOTM32 is not available as a selection in the drop-down window. How can I figure out my Jason Score? Wait until results are posted at the end of the month? That is kind of a bummer.
Can I re-submit? I don't want to cause a hassle/confusion amongst the GOTM staff.
The Jason score calculator will not be updated until after submissions close on 1st of July. I'll be adding an automatic email facility to the submission process shortly. I'll send you yours as you missed it ;)

_Z_ said:
I made it.
My first game I have a win ever: Cultural victory.
But with a few times restarting, reloading. So? I never send in anyway.
Finnaly I get a grip on Civ3, C3C.
Congrats on your first win!

To put a bit of a finer point on what some are saying below: I wouldn't be surprised if you had won without reloading. I tend to find that reloading doesn't really affect things in the big scheme! It might make victory come a few turns earlier, but overall it doesn't help that much.

Good luck next month! :)

Ok just got into the industrial age in 1480AD after conquering my island.

The beginning of the middle ages didn't really go the way I wanted it to. First of all, the only saltpeter resource was in the lil patch of desert that the Sumerians controlled (I only discovered this half way through my beeline to MilTrad). So I decided that I needed to killl the Sumerians before they got Gunpowder and knew what was going on. But first I thought I'd destroy those pesky Arabs just in case they started to suspect my immorality :D .
Once I had chivalry I upgraded all my chariots and the Arabs were gone in a few turns.

Meanwhile, a fleet of my suicide galleys discovered the other nations, who are well behind in tech. I decided to give the Zulus Gunpowder so that I could have access to their excess saltpeter, and ended up trading it for horses I think... :lol:

Then after researching Mil Trad I took an army of cavalries and wasted the town controlling the saltpeter allowing me access, then proceeded to wipe out the rest of the Sumerians in roughly 1450AD.

Now I'm not sre what to do. I'm so far in front of all the other nations I'm pretty sure I could feasibly win using any victory condition. Must make an effort to learn how the Jason scoring system works before I go any further methinks. :rolleyes:

In other news, I control all wonders except for the Great Lighthouse, have about 5000 gold and 150gpt about 120units and 5 armies. Trying to decide whether to relocate my capital to somewhere a bit more central and fertile. :hmm:

Maybe I can finish this and give myself enough time for GOTM32. :)

My First GOTM (in any format...) continued. No detailed timeline or pics, but we kick off MA in around AD370, with Arabia, Sumeria, and Babylon still alive and kicking. I have most of the iron, and in particular, Sumeria doesn't have any - but we'll get around to them later. In the meantime, my warriors are pouring into Hattusas - my only barracks - waiting for Feudalism and a couple of centuries of gradual upgrading to Medieval Infantry. (Yes - I realise now that turning off research for a few turns would've generated the gold I needed for a mass upgrade and an earlier strike; you live and learn!)

So I don't actually hit Arabia until about 770. I think I may have been a little cautious, because they were a pushover, especially once I got Chivalry from Sumeria and threw a few knights into the fray. My initial targets were their supplies of horses and iron. After disposing of them (and getting a couple of GWs - nothing brilliant though), I marshalled my forces for the long trek south-west to Hattusha, on the Sumerian border.

There, I would await MT, upgrade, and hit Sumeria. The plan was to strike in 1400, and I hit it bang on. Sumeria was swept aside with only a single flip back to mar the progress, and I gained, in particular, the glorious Sistine Chapel. Babylon, a small, desert backwater, was falling as I entered the IA towards the end of the 15th Century.

One decision I was particularly happy with was to forsake Tzun Tzu in favour of Leonardo's. Because of my starting loc (I settled 1E), my core cities weren't productive enough to churn out wonders and units. I didn't get a single AA wonder. After that, I missed out on just Tzun Tzu and (iirc) JS Bach's. Magellan's triggered my Golden Age just as I was steaming into the Sumerians.

Why did I take Leo's instead of Tzun? Because I can always build barracks in every city. I can't build something that halves my upgrade costs, apart from Leo's. So Leo's got the tip, and it proved a good decision.

With the Babs gone, and the fact that my navy consisted of just a single caravel and two frigates, I faced another decision: build galleons like mad to go conquer the New World as I had the Old, or settle in for the long slog of solo research and go for Diplo/SS/Cultural. Tired of warmongering, and wanting to settle down and raise my new Continental-sized family, I settled for the latter option, and a Cultural victory was won in the mid-1950s (UN was my preferred choice, and would've come in the 1820s, but for my sneaking suspicion that nobody on the other continent would've voted for me - the Korea/Portugal trade embargo was a case in point).

And so endeth my tale.

Neil. :cool:

P.S.

I wish I'd got a screen capture of this... but the Arabs had founded Aden and another city in the central desert, bang in the middle of my territory. Prime flip-bait, I'd left them alone in the war. One of them did indeed flip, but Aden remained steadfast. I sent a stack of Knights to deal with them, and they were stood on the hill outside, ready to strike next turn - whereby Aden decided they'd rather take the easy way out and flipped.

SniperDevil said:
monkey were the SUmerians very strong culturally and militarily in your game?

I think they would have been had I given them a chance! ;)

As for culturally, the only wonder they had was the Pyramids, so although they probably had an amazing headstart compared to me, looking at the victory screen throughout the game, my total culture has always been more than others. This is due to my tech lead throughout the game and being the first to reach cultural improvements i think.

And militarily, the only resource they controlled were horses, and I don't think I ever saw any sumerian horsemen. By the time I got round to attacking them they were defending with enkidu warriors, longbowmen and a couple of pikemen which they had built after controlling an iron resource for a couple of turns.

I think one of the main things this game has taught me is to try and be the first to work out where all strategic resources are in the game by researching the key techs. This gives you an amazing headstart in city planning and early warfare tactics. And very important to defeat the AI access to key resources before they know they posess them. Keep them on their knees! :)

SniperDevil said:
Nice job eldar. Did you play on conquest, open, or predator?

Thanks!

I played Open - Regent is about the level of my abilities and I've played plenty of games there before. Too scared to step up to even Monarch....

I did play a couple of games at Regent with the Hittites on a random world before I attempted the COTM though - it helped!

Neil :cool:

Predator Ancient Age

Entered Middle Ages in 330 BC.

Expansion
After miss-timing the Great Lighthouse (finished in 580 AD), I tried to claim every tile on the home continent after it was conquered in 370 AD. But I also managed to sneak in a few towns on the new continent before the Great Lighthouse. This is the new continent in 370 AD, with 6 towns and 1 settler:

Note that the spacing between the towns is 4 tiles, to gain up to three extra tiles for each new town.

This is the new continent in 590 AD, the turn after the Great Lighthouse was completed:

And this is how I got across without the Great Lighthouse. One empty boat (galley 1) is waiting on the dangerous ocean square. If it survives, the next galley (galley 2) is ready to hand over some units, which galley 1 can take over safely. After that, galley 3 is filled with more units, in case galley 2 also survives.

Finance
I researched chivalry and then stopped to upgrade chariots. Monotheism was traded from Sumeria (free tech). I then researched invention and gunpowder for no good reason. Then I stopped and increased the luxury rate to 40-50%. This was partly to gain some score, and partly to get We Love The King Day in the town building The Great Lighthouse (saved me about 5 turns).

I hurried some temples during the conquest of Portugal. I didn't want to do that in the towns previously taken from Korea, because my defence of those towns was nonexistant and I have a feeling (irrational?) that the AI are very tempted to attack empty cities with a cultural value > 0, and there were lots of Chinese and Zulu troops around.

I never researched Theology. I planned to take the Oracle from Zulu and had built Temple of Artemis myself, so there was something to gain from keeping things as they were.

Milking?
I had just started researching theology 730 AD, 11 tiles from the domination limit, thinking that I would need the luxuries from both continents if I decided to ***MILK***. In that case, Navigation would have been necessary. But I had forgotten to check how high my score increase was. I used an old utility, "ycalculator15.xls" (sorry, don't know who wrote it. Earl?), and came up with this:

71 Spaceship
56 Domination
62 Diplomatic
80 Culture100
95 Culture20
56 Conquest

If I understand these figures correctly, your increase in base score between 2 turns should be higher than these values if milking is a good option. For example, if you can win by domination you should have a base score increase higher than 56 points per turn in order to choose milking instead. Well, I only had 30, so milking didn't seem right.

Domination win in 750. That could have been 1 turn earlier, since I had two settlers fortified in 730. But I wanted to check the milking possibilities and did it a little too late.

Moral
It was very comfortable to wipe out the neighbors in this game, knowing that the people on the other continent wouldn't know anything about how it was done. Perhaps this is the most low-minded deal of all:

Guess what happens next.

Thanks for another great game and all the effort you've put into it!

Open Class

In my last gotm I got in trouble with the knights, instead of a fast conquest victory the fights took very long 'cause the enemies got their first musketmen and finally I had to interrupt my conquest plans and alternatively go for a late Spaceship Victory.
So I wanted to avoid this in the current game and I decided to conquer the world with Cavalries ;) , first I could easily conquer my home continent with knights, my enemies were very slowly researching and had no chance with their spearmen against my knights. To conquer the other continent I waited for Military Tradition and it works much better this gotm with the cavs than the last gotm with the knights :)
So I was very happy to achieve Domination victory at 1350AD, finally a militaristic victory!
So I can go for a peaceful goal in gotm32 which I prefer much more

Thanks for the game, made a lot of fun

btw, anyone knows a good freeware prog to minimize and edit screenshots? So I'd like to describe my game with pics
my screenshots are 1024*768 and I think they're too big

Top Bottom