Could you take on a raptor with a suit of platemail and a sword

I think I could do it with a smaller Raptor. I'de wear some mix of Kevlar, and leather instead of plate armor. A full face helmet, and a neck protector. My weapon would be a long 2-handed slightly curved sword like those used in Japan by Samurai.

I might die, but my sword with a good hit would cleave the poor bastard easily, the only question being how much damage it did to me...

I would recommend an aggressive counter defence in depth.

(i) Cross bow (or if you have the skill a long bow)
to engage at range.

(ii) 5 foot staff with point and side slicing blades
at one tip (to stab and slash) and iron ringed
grip at the other to swing round and crunch.

(iii) heavy 18 inch short sword for close work.

No plate or chain armour at all. It reduces mobility.
No shield, because you are not fighting a human.

Possibly goggles; just in case they spit poison like some lizards.

I don't know about a sword. Too flimsy. But probably a nice sturdy spear.

Even a velociraptor would be dangerous to a human being assuming that a velociraptor or a pack of them would attack a human. Watch modern reptiles such as a crocodile or even a lizard move. They can go very fast so don't assume you could stop them before they got to you.

A 45lb. creature? Give me the damn sword.

No heavy armor or weapons. Only something covering my face and neck. A katana would be nice. Easy to wield and sharp. The biggest advantage the bugger would have would be speed, so better make sure I wouldn't be slow.

A few layers of Kevlar, a strong shield, and a curved sword (one-edged).

If it was a tiny one, alone, the fight would be easy. It's my guess that it would be scared (velociraptors being pack hunters) and try to escape.

If there were a bunch of tiny ones, I'd be in trouble because some of them could attack from behind.

If it was a single large raptor like Utahraptor or Deinonychus it would have the mass to knock me down easily. I'd go for a more mobile fighting method against these guys.

If it's a group of large raptors, I'd definitely lose.

No heavy armor or weapons. Only something covering my face and neck. A katana would be nice. Easy to wield and sharp. The biggest advantage the bugger would have would be speed, so better make sure I wouldn't be slow.

I'm sure you'd want something covering the rest of your body. Their talons are razor-sharp.

I'm sure you'd want something covering the rest of your body. Their talons are razor-sharp.

Yeah, but only something light that wouldn't compromise my mobility. Perhaps hardened leather would do the trick? (Plus, the ladies would like it.)

Yeah, but only something light that wouldn't compromise my mobility. Perhaps hardened leather would do the trick? (Plus, the ladies would like it.)

Any protection is better than none. But you will mos def want something. Hardened leather can compromise your mobility because it is... hardened! Leather or Studded Leather would be better. These things are quick and you will need to be as well.

Nah, those things could rip through cows, I'm sure; cow skin seems like a poor choice of armor.

Hm, somewhere around here, I've made my 7,000th post. I haven't posted anything profound lately, so it looks like 7k was a stupid one.

:undecide:

Platemail is made primarily for the defense of swords an sword type weaponry. Tempered steel suit could weigh as much as 45 lbs, heavy but no overly so. This is less than the weight of current modern cobat gear. Also, since the weight is spread out over the body, a "fit" person would have little restriction in movement or motion while encased in it.

A raptor (veloci or others) does not have a bite radius that large - not with a 10 inch skull to bring risk to an armored person short of hands and forearms, feet/shins, and neck (a difficult target at 5' off the ground and perpendicular to the animal's normal orientation). Plus at 45 lbs - its impact would have little chance to offset a prepared and ready foe.

A spear is best used to keep a foe at bay with reach and does require less skill than a typical sword. However, once the raptor got past the spear's point or through speed alone was able to come in on your flank, the spear's usefullness fades rapidly. A short sword (20") would be best but would also place the defender (yourself) in greater harm's way since the damned fight would be right against you!

And hey, what a great waste of my time when I should be doing month end closings! Whoo hoo!

My 2 cents

V

I would encase myself in pillows, the feathers flying everywhere would confuse the beast as i stab it in the heart with my trusty pen.

I believe the following picture is helpful to anyone wishing to combat a raptor.

Spoiler :

Hmm, I don't think I would last very long against a Platemail-wearing Raptor.

Nice rebump!

I still believe i could take 1.. lose to a group

PC+1!

Top Bottom