Could you take on a raptor with a suit of platemail and a sword

Fallen Angel Lord said:
What if you had a magic sceptre that could turn the raptor into a meat eating bunny?
And then we could kill it with thine holy handgrenade!

No, it would just blast it into tiny bits.

First off, any medieval armor will do NOTHING. A raptor's bite will presumably crush bone- whether there's a crappy plate of forged steel covering it or not.

I would throw on a chain shirt to protect my torso from claws, and then arm myself with a Katana. Now THAT would pwn him.

newfangle said:
First off, any medieval armor will do NOTHING. A raptor's bite will presumably crush bone- whether there's a crappy plate of forged steel covering it or not.

I would throw on a chain shirt to protect my torso from claws, and then arm myself with a Katana. Now THAT would pwn him.

Good platemail will stop a sword thrust. I would hope it would provide some armor against bites.

Here are the D&D 3.5 stats for a Megaraptor
79 hitpoints
Full attack: Talon +9 melee (2d8 + 5)
2 Foreclaws +4 melee (1d4 + 2 each)
Bite +4 melee (2d6 + 2)
AC: 16
CR: 6

Why does evverything on these forums end up with Nazis, roleplaying, roleplaying Nazis or God?

nonconformist said:
Why does evverything on these forums end up with Nazis, roleplaying, roleplaying Nazis or God?

Because roleplaying, Nazis and God explain everything or at least give good excuses.

I could easily take on a raptor if I was given platemail and a sword. Just wait for him to attack me, and I swing at his exposed neck, chopping off his head. Simple.

Does the velociraptor have a shotgun monkey on its back?

Maybe if I got the initiative, rolled a 20 and was using a vorpal long sword...

I'll take my +4 Uzi of Leaden Death, thanks, ideally with my +5 Magazine of Fewer Reloads.

Hmmm... do raptors have any serious bone-type armor, or are they built like huge bats with teeth and claws? If the former, shotguns (other than those loaded with plain slugs) are going to be of less use, similar to stopping bears, where one does well to file down the front sight first. If the latter, one is going to be less use just from having less substantial target area, given that most of the shot will go uselessly through wing and do little damage.

Assuming the claws won't open the armor like a combat knife through a soda can, I'd take the armor, a round shield, and a 2-foot or so sword. Short enough to not get too tangled in raptor bits, and long enough to do serious damage quickly.

Great thread. :goodjob:

I don't know about the mail & sword. But if you can believe Peter Jackson, raptors are toast if you have a submachine gun.

If death became almost certain, Id quickly hire Perfection's giant death robots as mercenaries.

Xen said:
of course, plate mail is the wrong armor to use regardless- an ill thought choice, IMO- better suited would be chain, or scale.

I disagree--generally they'd be going for puncture wounds, and plate mail is excellent protection against that.

Arm me with a spear, and a short sword just in case, and I suspect I could probably kill it. Probably.

EDIT: Preferably with a fast acting poison on the spear.

What kind of setting would this fight take place in? A pen with high walls neither of us could climb on, out in an open field, in a forest, on a ship, in a maze? It would make a huge difference for me.

Top Bottom