Couldn't this unit (the unknown axeman unit) just be a barbarian caravan raider?

tnick777

Warlord

Seeing as there's a caravan right above it, it could be a context clue. Plus I doubt they would add the trade aspect without the perils of piracy and raiders... Am I just regurgitating ideas that were said before or am I onto something here...?

Everyone is stumped. Nobody has a clue. We won't find out until July 9th. Hell, Fixaris probably stumped themselves when they released this screenshot.

Natives used to raid covered wagon caravans all the time...

Less than 1000 whites died while travelling to the west and southwest in the 1800s. More often than not, Native tribes helped the settlers than interfered with them. The belief that covered wagons were raided x amount of times is a fallacy that isn't supported by primary sources but propogated by textbooks whose vested interest is in promoting a flawless, ideal America, with all the ethnocentrism that entails.

I'm an American, mind you, and studying to be a history teacher. I love my country and everything, but I'm not going to pretend it's the moral end-all, be-all when it has engaged in the same activities that many other countries have undertaken as well as served as a case in point for Hitler's Holocaust - he admired how the United States solved its "Indian Problem" and many of his Holocaust policies mirrored them to some degree (though they were more modern and, well, industrially murderous).

I'm an American, mind you, and studying to be a history teacher. I love my country and everything, but I'm not going to pretend it's the moral end-all, be-all when it has engaged in the same activities that many other countries have undertaken as well as served as a case in point for Hitler's Holocaust - he admired how the United States solved its "Indian Problem" and many of his Holocaust policies mirrored them to some degree (though they were more modern and, well, industrially murderous).

And I'm a native american. I know what happened. 98% of natives are dead now.

It looks like an army of Mr. T's.

They could just be making the barbarian units more diverse. That's my theory. They may be throwing tomahawks and that's the reason the Assyrian swordsman is wounded and they're not.

And I'm a native american. I know what happened. 98% of natives are dead now.

Well, then the second part of my post isn't aimed at you :p More at people who'd read the first part and doubt my "American cred," lol

Not many covered wagons heading West managed to get knocked over by Eastern woodland natives.

While I could buy the idea of ethnically diverse barbarians, I definitely don't think this is going to be a caravan raider unit. If it were, it'd be pretty offensive to native Americans, and given how they dealt with the Pueblo council respectfully I don't think they'd want to deal with a similar sort of situation.

This notion that Firaxis would have spent the resouces to diversify Barbarians before they gave the entire continent of Africa got its own city style is just silly.

I don't see why Firaxis would bother with ethnically diverse barbarians when they don't even bother with ethnically diverse player units

The only scenario where these things existing would make any sense would be in historical starts Earth maps, none of which are of Firaxis's creation.

They look like a bunch of little Hiawatha's to me.......

Seeing as there's a caravan right above it, it could be a context clue. Plus I doubt they would add the trade aspect without the perils of piracy and raiders... Am I just regurgitating ideas that were said before or am I onto something here...?

This has the same issue as any other barbarian UU suggestion: this unit is much too specifically Native American. Every other generic unit in the game is European-themed, including barbarians. Given that there's some reason for expecting a Native American civ, it seems intuitively unlikely that they'd introduce an unknown NA civ, and an unknown barbarian UU that just happens to be Native American in contrast to five editions of Civ tradition, and have the two be unrelated to one another.

Top Bottom