1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Crusader Kings 2

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by SouthernKing, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

You need to correct your spoiler code.

2. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

I did so as soon as I posted.

3. Arakhor

Ah. We cross-posted, I see.

4. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Happens to the best of us!

Anyway I found the new disease mechanic a nice addition; always good to quicken the changing of reigns one say.

5. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

I noticed Steam is having a massive sale on Paradox games this weekend. I'm thinking of taking the plunge on CKII at -75%.

For those who already play the game, most of the DLC is on sale too, at -66% (the most recent stuff is still full price).

6. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

This. Reaper's Due has certainly been a great addition.
    Added challenge and unpredictability just as both were wearing thin...

7. Arakhor

Definitely. You can always save the various DLC for later (or never, as you see fit).

I'd agree, but unfortunately I'm rather squeamish as regards to the nasty disease stuff. :yuck:

8. EgonSpengler

The base game alone is $10, and for $40, we get:

A lot of portraits and music, cosmetic and immersive (which I usually like - I like the array of nation-specific units in Empire: Total War, for example). I've highlighted the ones that appear to be more than that, but I haven't looked at them closely.

9. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

The unit packs are more like if Empire had DLC for generals and armies on the campaign map. Of course, pdox games don't have battles, so all your combat is on the campaign map.

10. EgonSpengler

Right, I think one of the Civ games did that. Or maybe it was a mod. At any rate, I usually like that sort of stuff, even if it's just cosmetic.

11. Arakhor

That's an excellent deal, yes. I would certainly recommend the Dynasty Shield packs and of course the EU IV converter allows you to carry a CK2 game into EU IV. The Ruler Designer does what it says on the tin and ensures that you don't need to play the default rulers.

12. Double A

I mean I do too, I'm just letting you know what you're getting. I personally can't play without the portrait packs.

13. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

You haven't lived until Charlemagne has died of severe dysentery while you weren't looking.

14. Arakhor

As opposed to possible asbestos poisoning?

15. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

actually, it's almost fun to see the various ways charlemagne kicks the bucket
    • Dysentery
    • Disfigured and wearing a leper's mask
    • murdered
    • killed in battle
    • reduced to a one-legged man until his eventual death
    • gone lunatic as a result of awkward great pox treatment that ended up killing one of his offspring
    Charlemagne very rarely manages to achieve "not dead"-hood in my games nowadays.

16. Double A

which I guess just goes to show how weird it was that he ended up with all of germany and france

17. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Sons of Abraham is also more than portraits/music/cosmetic; it's the expansion that focused on improved mechanics for Jewish countries and Christian theocracies, and IIRC it also had a Papal overhaul.

Really hard to go wrong at $10. If you're skeptical, go for the base without expansions, and you can always pick them up at a sale if it's a hit. If you're already a fan of EU3/4/CK1/Sengoku, the set is probably a pretty safe bet.

I've been impressed by how good the reviews for The Reaper's Due are. Probably will pick it up before I dive back into CKII the next time; it's both the best-reviewed expansion and one of the least expensive.

18. Double A

is sengoku even playable

19. EgonSpengler

A handful of hours of Crusader Kings II yesterday didn't go well. In two different games I got crushed when I tried to expand my holdings. :lol:

In a "learning game" as the King of Leon I followed the game's prompts and had my brother, the King of Castille, killed so I could inherit his lands. Unfortunately, I also inherited the war against seemingly all of Islam that I didn't even know he was fighting, and my army was promptly overwhelmed. I need to figure out how to get more information, even something as simple as which of my neighbors are fighting each other (could I have allied with my brother instead and taken some land to my south?).

So I told the "Learning Game" to kiss my Irish behind and, in a new game, took some advice from the web and started a game as the Count of Tir Connaill (a family home, irl, many generations past). At first, I was thinking of taking over Ulster, but then I noticed that Connacht was under the thumb of a 9-year-old (again, bad information, someone important died right next door and I didn't know it). I sent my Chancellor to find me some small-print on which to base a claim and invaded. With the aid of some mercenaries, it looked like a sure thing. Then I was attacked by an "adventurer" from Northumbria, I ran out of money, my mercenaries went home, and my army was overwhelmed in short order.

20. Double A

You can see wars involving someone specific on the character screen under the portrait, or in the county sidebar somewhere. There's also a list of every war in the ledger.

now that's just the game being a dick